Re: [fukuoka_farming] Pigeon peas

  • David
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 7, 2013
      Alan, and Nandan,
      The area in wheat has young trees around the perimeter. We planted them
      for wind break and shade. Also, although we in a desert, there is water
      as little as 14 ft. (5m) down. Most wells above in our area above 100
      ft. have nitrate contamination due to the intensive chemical based
      agriculture in the area. Our hope is that the trees will pull some of
      the nitrates from the ground, with the water. The wheat that is shaded
      matures later than the wheat in full sun, but other than that it all
      ripens at the same time.

      The density of the wheat does not come close to the density of the
      commercial farms in the area. I posted a photo that uses the wheat as a
      background for one of our ewes to give an idea as to the height and
      density. She is about 27in. (69cm) at the shoulder (withers).

      The wheat was seeded originally with an unknown variety. I got about 12
      lbs.(5.5kg) from a pile that was spilled on the side of the road by a
      truck hauling it. So, I expect that the original was a hybrid variety
      that has devolved to one of its predecessors. It is very stable and
      consistent year after year with good kernels.

      The thing that limits most summer growing plants here is the high
      temperatures and lack of rain from June through October. That is why I
      thought the pigeon pea might work. If it can grow in the cool wet spring
      and make it to seed by the end of May, it would have a chance.

      David
      Idaho

      On 1/7/2013 5:48 AM, Alan Sloan wrote:

      > Ok,
      >
      > And how time-consistent is the grain yield, ie does it all ripen at the
      > same time or do you get a divergence over time so the seed is ripening
      > over
      > a period?
      >
      > And is there any way to guess a "natural" potential grain yield per area
      > for vegetarian humans as opposed to turkeys?
      >
      > Oh Wow, sorry, so many questions... its just curiosity, so don't worry if
      > you've no time to reply - Thanks for getting back to me this time.
      >
      > 1" of humus in 10 years is great and benefiting me on the other side
      > of the
      > world, thank you!. It's pulling carbon down out of the atmosphere and
      > retaining water and nutrients so there's a 4 dimensional aspect, its not
      > all about yield.
      >
      > But to intensify the grain yield, I heard of a Rye-beans system in Germany
      > (cold winters) where rye was planted with beans, the beans got cut down by
      > hard spring frosts and were decaying as soil warmed up and the rye
      > took off
      > in the spring. That was a ploughing method, but I wonder if a bean
      > fertiliser principle could be added into your mix.
      >
      > Alan
      > England
      >
      > On 7 January 2013 03:52, David dragon@...
      > <mailto:dragon%40owlandragon.com>> wrote:
      >
      > > **
      > >

      > > We have left it fallow, our soil is fine sand (dust) with little organic
      > > matter. The wheat has built up a 1 inch (2.5 cm) layer of organic matter
      > > over the last 10 years, and acted as a cover crop during our winter
      > > winds. The winds are commonly 40 mph (64 kph) We have converted a bit at
      > > a time to pasture, and other than the one grazing in the spring, left
      > > the wheat for the wild turkeys, pheasant, and quail that frequent the
      > > area. I believe there is a winter rye that could work, our winter lows
      > > last week were -4*F (-20C). I scattered some chicory last fall to see if
      > > it takes hold.
      > >
      > > David
      > > Idaho
      > >

      > > On 1/6/2013 2:28 PM, Alan Sloan wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Hi David,
      > > > Do harvest the wheat if so is it by hand, and if so, what proportion
      > > > do you
      > > > leave for reseeding?
      > > > Would rye be any use?
      > > > ALan

    • Nandan Palaparambil
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 7, 2013
        This wheat looks really good, it has established neatly.. Never thought reseeding can bringup crops like this..Thanks for sharing this photo..

        Regards,