Re: [fukuoka_farming] Pigeon peas

  • Alan Sloan
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 7, 2013
      Ok,

      And how time-consistent is the grain yield, ie does it all ripen at the
      same time or do you get a divergence over time so the seed is ripening over
      a period?

      And is there any way to guess a "natural" potential grain yield per area
      for vegetarian humans as opposed to turkeys?

      Oh Wow, sorry, so many questions... its just curiosity, so don't worry if
      you've no time to reply - Thanks for getting back to me this time.

      1" of humus in 10 years is great and benefiting me on the other side of the
      world, thank you!. It's pulling carbon down out of the atmosphere and
      retaining water and nutrients so there's a 4 dimensional aspect, its not
      all about yield.

      But to intensify the grain yield, I heard of a Rye-beans system in Germany
      (cold winters) where rye was planted with beans, the beans got cut down by
      hard spring frosts and were decaying as soil warmed up and the rye took off
      in the spring. That was a ploughing method, but I wonder if a bean
      fertiliser principle could be added into your mix.

      Alan
      England

      On 7 January 2013 03:52, David <dragon@...> wrote:

      > **
      >

      > We have left it fallow, our soil is fine sand (dust) with little organic
      > matter. The wheat has built up a 1 inch (2.5 cm) layer of organic matter
      > over the last 10 years, and acted as a cover crop during our winter
      > winds. The winds are commonly 40 mph (64 kph) We have converted a bit at
      > a time to pasture, and other than the one grazing in the spring, left
      > the wheat for the wild turkeys, pheasant, and quail that frequent the
      > area. I believe there is a winter rye that could work, our winter lows
      > last week were -4*F (-20C). I scattered some chicory last fall to see if
      > it takes hold.
      >
      > David
      > Idaho
      >

      > On 1/6/2013 2:28 PM, Alan Sloan wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi David,
      > > Do harvest the wheat if so is it by hand, and if so, what proportion
      > > do you
      > > leave for reseeding?
      > > Would rye be any use?
      > > ALan

    • Nandan Palaparambil
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 7, 2013
        I have seen cowpea cultivated with rice and if it overtakes rice, water is released to weaken it, like frost in your climate.

        Is this wheat a traditional variety or a low height high yielding variety? How tall does this grow?

        Regards,
        Nandan

        And how time-consistent is the grain yield, ie does it all ripen at the

        same time or do you get a divergence over time so the seed is ripening over

        a period?

        And is there any way to guess a "natural" potential grain yield per area

        for vegetarian humans as opposed to turkeys?

        Oh Wow, sorry, so many questions... its just curiosity, so don't worry if

        you've no time to reply - Thanks for getting back to me this time.

        1" of humus in 10 years is great and benefiting me on the other side of the

        world, thank you!. It's pulling carbon down out of the atmosphere and

        retaining water and nutrients so there's a 4 dimensional aspect, its not

        all about yield.

        But to intensify the grain yield, I heard of a Rye-beans system in Germany

        (cold winters) where rye was planted with beans, the beans got cut down by

        hard spring frosts and were decaying as soil warmed up and the rye took off

        in the spring. That was a ploughing method, but I wonder if a bean

        fertiliser principle could be added into your mix.

        Alan

        England

        On 7 January 2013 03:52, David dragon@...> wrote:

        > **

        > We have left it fallow, our soil is fine sand (dust) with little organic

        > matter. The wheat has built up a 1 inch (2.5 cm) layer of organic matter

        > over the last 10 years, and acted as a cover crop during our winter

        > winds. The winds are commonly 40 mph (64 kph) We have converted a bit at

        > a time to pasture, and other than the one grazing in the spring, left

        > the wheat for the wild turkeys, pheasant, and quail that frequent the

        > area. I believe there is a winter rye that could work, our winter lows

        > last week were -4*F (-20C). I scattered some chicory last fall to see if

        > it takes hold.

        > David

        > Idaho

        > On 1/6/2013 2:28 PM, Alan Sloan wrote:

        > > Hi David,

        > > Do harvest the wheat if so is it by hand, and if so, what proportion

        > > do you

        > > leave for reseeding?

        > > Would rye be any use?

        > > ALan

      • David
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 7, 2013
          Alan, and Nandan,
          The area in wheat has young trees around the perimeter. We planted them
          for wind break and shade. Also, although we in a desert, there is water
          as little as 14 ft. (5m) down. Most wells above in our area above 100
          ft. have nitrate contamination due to the intensive chemical based
          agriculture in the area. Our hope is that the trees will pull some of
          the nitrates from the ground, with the water. The wheat that is shaded
          matures later than the wheat in full sun, but other than that it all
          ripens at the same time.

          The density of the wheat does not come close to the density of the
          commercial farms in the area. I posted a photo that uses the wheat as a
          background for one of our ewes to give an idea as to the height and
          density. She is about 27in. (69cm) at the shoulder (withers).

          The wheat was seeded originally with an unknown variety. I got about 12
          lbs.(5.5kg) from a pile that was spilled on the side of the road by a
          truck hauling it. So, I expect that the original was a hybrid variety
          that has devolved to one of its predecessors. It is very stable and
          consistent year after year with good kernels.

          The thing that limits most summer growing plants here is the high
          temperatures and lack of rain from June through October. That is why I
          thought the pigeon pea might work. If it can grow in the cool wet spring
          and make it to seed by the end of May, it would have a chance.

          David
          Idaho

          On 1/7/2013 5:48 AM, Alan Sloan wrote:

          > Ok,
          >
          > And how time-consistent is the grain yield, ie does it all ripen at the
          > same time or do you get a divergence over time so the seed is ripening
          > over
          > a period?
          >
          > And is there any way to guess a "natural" potential grain yield per area
          > for vegetarian humans as opposed to turkeys?
          >
          > Oh Wow, sorry, so many questions... its just curiosity, so don't worry if
          > you've no time to reply - Thanks for getting back to me this time.
          >
          > 1" of humus in 10 years is great and benefiting me on the other side
          > of the
          > world, thank you!. It's pulling carbon down out of the atmosphere and
          > retaining water and nutrients so there's a 4 dimensional aspect, its not
          > all about yield.
          >
          > But to intensify the grain yield, I heard of a Rye-beans system in Germany
          > (cold winters) where rye was planted with beans, the beans got cut down by
          > hard spring frosts and were decaying as soil warmed up and the rye
          > took off
          > in the spring. That was a ploughing method, but I wonder if a bean
          > fertiliser principle could be added into your mix.
          >
          > Alan
          > England
          >
          > On 7 January 2013 03:52, David dragon@...
          > <mailto:dragon%40owlandragon.com>> wrote:
          >
          > > **
          > >

          > > We have left it fallow, our soil is fine sand (dust) with little organic
          > > matter. The wheat has built up a 1 inch (2.5 cm) layer of organic matter
          > > over the last 10 years, and acted as a cover crop during our winter
          > > winds. The winds are commonly 40 mph (64 kph) We have converted a bit at
          > > a time to pasture, and other than the one grazing in the spring, left
          > > the wheat for the wild turkeys, pheasant, and quail that frequent the
          > > area. I believe there is a winter rye that could work, our winter lows
          > > last week were -4*F (-20C). I scattered some chicory last fall to see if
          > > it takes hold.
          > >
          > > David
          > > Idaho
          > >

          > > On 1/6/2013 2:28 PM, Alan Sloan wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Hi David,
          > > > Do harvest the wheat if so is it by hand, and if so, what proportion
          > > > do you
          > > > leave for reseeding?
          > > > Would rye be any use?
          > > > ALan

        • Nandan Palaparambil
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 7, 2013
            This wheat looks really good, it has established neatly.. Never thought reseeding can bringup crops like this..Thanks for sharing this photo..