Re: [fukuoka_farming] Natural farmer cultivating pepper, ginger and rubber

  • Ruthie Aquino
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 6, 2013
      Yes Nandan you think right, this is very important news. Thanks for
      sharing, please share more when you get more.
      As you said there are few natural farmers who live out of natural farming.
      Those few are an example for me to follow, and an inspiration when I think
      I am alone in this. Even if I have other sources of livelihood still I
      would like to be self-sufficient in food, and show other people that near
      self-sufficiency is truly possible. That is my dream : eating my own food
      and those around me who wish to do so, too. I think that is nothing
      unusual or extraordinary. I think that is a given, but my modern lifestyle
      had hidden that possibility from me. I don't mind people chiding me about
      being a farmer-before-a-screen, because it is through the internet that I
      first got wind of this, the internet is a good thing, I can't see myself
      living without it. Modern technology almost made me forget that living
      naturally is my best choice. However it also introduced Fukuoka to me. We
      are even.

      All the best to you.
      RUTHIE

      2013/1/6 Nandan <p_k_nandanan@...>

      > **
      >

      > Hi All,
      >
      > Came across a natural farmer in one of the magazine called 'Karshakashree'
      > in our local language malayalam which is spoken in kerala, India.
      >
      > His name is Francis (Kannur,Kerala,India) and he has 1 acre pepper+ginger
      > and another 2 or 3 acres of rubber plantation. He does not cultivate any
      > vegetables or rice, but he has been doing farming since his childhood and
      > was doing only farming. He should be 60+ now. He grows Mucuna Bracteata as
      > the cover crop and has a 20cm thick mulching through out the farm. Because
      > of this he need not even water the pepper plants. His support plant is Jack
      > fruit and once in a year he cut all the leaves from trees and drop it as
      > mulch. He has ginger as the intercrop and after harvesting leaves one part
      > so that it grows back and he harvests in the next season. This has been
      > going for about 6 years.
      >
      > He was awarded 'National Innovation Award' in India, will look for that
      > link. I haven't met him, just talked to him over the phone. He has come to
      > natural farming in his own observation...
      >
      > There are only a few real farmers (who makes a living from farming) in the
      > world, who does natural farming, hence thought this is very important.
      >
      > Regards,
      > Nandan

    • Nandan Palaparambil
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 7, 2013
        Thanks for sharing your views.

        I also don't make a living from farming, and I do farming weekly once. That is why I salute the real natural farmers. When a farmer applies cowdung/cow uring or compost, I try to think along with him and try to understand his feeling, rather just neglecting his views.

        But in this case, this farmer does not cultivate his food, rather sells pepper, ginger, rubber and buys food from market. But his method is completely natural farming.

        I also feel modern technology is not bad, balancing is the real skill. If there is a farmer who does not has mail access, but enjoy his farming and keep the values, I think it is equally good life. I like what Fukuoka san said ' Ultimate aim of natural farming is not just cultivation of crops, but cultivation and perfection of human beings'.

        Regards,
        Nandan