Pigeon peas

  • d pfalzer
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 6, 2013
      Funny how I have heard rave reviews about pigeon peas from permaculturalists for several years without ever paying attention to how useful they are to me.

      Now suddenly I have been told the key bits of information (to me) that the beans they made are good to eat and that it makes nice flowers AND now I have thoroughly drunk the kool-aid and want to rave about them too. Someone also has given me a plant -- guess I needed a kick in the butt to get me going with this one.

      (My research says that pigeon peas are known as red gram in India.)

      It seems like they will be another effortless food making plant for me here in Florida. (I love plants like that.)
    • David
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 6, 2013
        I have an area that has winter wheat reseeding itself year after year. I
        run sheep over it once in the spring, and I have been looking for things
        to add that will reseed themselves every year. This might be something
        to try. Being in northern high desert, we have tried several things
        with limited success.

        David
        Idaho

        On 1/6/2013 9:36 AM, d pfalzer wrote:

        > Funny how I have heard rave reviews about pigeon peas from
        > permaculturalists for several years without ever paying attention to
        > how useful they are to me.
        >
        > Now suddenly I have been told the key bits of information (to me) that
        > the beans they made are good to eat and that it makes nice flowers AND
        > now I have thoroughly drunk the kool-aid and want to rave about them
        > too. Someone also has given me a plant -- guess I needed a kick in the
        > butt to get me going with this one.
        >
        > (My research says that pigeon peas are known as red gram in India.)
        >
        > It seems like they will be another effortless food making plant for me
        > here in Florida. (I love plants like that.)

      • Alan Sloan
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 6, 2013
          Hi David,
          Do harvest the wheat if so is it by hand, and if so, what proportion do you
          leave for reseeding?
          Would rye be any use?
          ALan

          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 6, 2013
            We have left it fallow, our soil is fine sand (dust) with little organic
            matter. The wheat has built up a 1 inch (2.5 cm) layer of organic matter
            over the last 10 years, and acted as a cover crop during our winter
            winds. The winds are commonly 40 mph (64 kph) We have converted a bit at
            a time to pasture, and other than the one grazing in the spring, left
            the wheat for the wild turkeys, pheasant, and quail that frequent the
            area. I believe there is a winter rye that could work, our winter lows
            last week were -4*F (-20C). I scattered some chicory last fall to see if
            it takes hold.

            David
            Idaho

            On 1/6/2013 2:28 PM, Alan Sloan wrote:

            > Hi David,
            > Do harvest the wheat if so is it by hand, and if so, what proportion
            > do you
            > leave for reseeding?
            > Would rye be any use?
            > ALan

          • Alan Sloan
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 7, 2013
              Ok,

              And how time-consistent is the grain yield, ie does it all ripen at the
              same time or do you get a divergence over time so the seed is ripening over
              a period?

              And is there any way to guess a "natural" potential grain yield per area
              for vegetarian humans as opposed to turkeys?

              Oh Wow, sorry, so many questions... its just curiosity, so don't worry if
              you've no time to reply - Thanks for getting back to me this time.

              1" of humus in 10 years is great and benefiting me on the other side of the
              world, thank you!. It's pulling carbon down out of the atmosphere and
              retaining water and nutrients so there's a 4 dimensional aspect, its not
              all about yield.

              But to intensify the grain yield, I heard of a Rye-beans system in Germany
              (cold winters) where rye was planted with beans, the beans got cut down by
              hard spring frosts and were decaying as soil warmed up and the rye took off
              in the spring. That was a ploughing method, but I wonder if a bean
              fertiliser principle could be added into your mix.

              Alan
              England

              On 7 January 2013 03:52, David <dragon@...> wrote:

              > **
              >

              > We have left it fallow, our soil is fine sand (dust) with little organic
              > matter. The wheat has built up a 1 inch (2.5 cm) layer of organic matter
              > over the last 10 years, and acted as a cover crop during our winter
              > winds. The winds are commonly 40 mph (64 kph) We have converted a bit at
              > a time to pasture, and other than the one grazing in the spring, left
              > the wheat for the wild turkeys, pheasant, and quail that frequent the
              > area. I believe there is a winter rye that could work, our winter lows
              > last week were -4*F (-20C). I scattered some chicory last fall to see if
              > it takes hold.
              >
              > David
              > Idaho
              >

              > On 1/6/2013 2:28 PM, Alan Sloan wrote:
              > >
              > > Hi David,
              > > Do harvest the wheat if so is it by hand, and if so, what proportion
              > > do you
              > > leave for reseeding?
              > > Would rye be any use?
              > > ALan

            • Nandan Palaparambil
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 7, 2013
                I have seen cowpea cultivated with rice and if it overtakes rice, water is released to weaken it, like frost in your climate.

                Is this wheat a traditional variety or a low height high yielding variety? How tall does this grow?

                Regards,
                Nandan

                And how time-consistent is the grain yield, ie does it all ripen at the

                same time or do you get a divergence over time so the seed is ripening over

                a period?

                And is there any way to guess a "natural" potential grain yield per area

                for vegetarian humans as opposed to turkeys?

                Oh Wow, sorry, so many questions... its just curiosity, so don't worry if

                you've no time to reply - Thanks for getting back to me this time.

                1" of humus in 10 years is great and benefiting me on the other side of the

                world, thank you!. It's pulling carbon down out of the atmosphere and

                retaining water and nutrients so there's a 4 dimensional aspect, its not

                all about yield.

                But to intensify the grain yield, I heard of a Rye-beans system in Germany

                (cold winters) where rye was planted with beans, the beans got cut down by

                hard spring frosts and were decaying as soil warmed up and the rye took off

                in the spring. That was a ploughing method, but I wonder if a bean

                fertiliser principle could be added into your mix.

                Alan

                England

                On 7 January 2013 03:52, David dragon@...> wrote:

                > **

                > We have left it fallow, our soil is fine sand (dust) with little organic

                > matter. The wheat has built up a 1 inch (2.5 cm) layer of organic matter

                > over the last 10 years, and acted as a cover crop during our winter

                > winds. The winds are commonly 40 mph (64 kph) We have converted a bit at

                > a time to pasture, and other than the one grazing in the spring, left

                > the wheat for the wild turkeys, pheasant, and quail that frequent the

                > area. I believe there is a winter rye that could work, our winter lows

                > last week were -4*F (-20C). I scattered some chicory last fall to see if

                > it takes hold.

                > David

                > Idaho

                > On 1/6/2013 2:28 PM, Alan Sloan wrote:

                > > Hi David,

                > > Do harvest the wheat if so is it by hand, and if so, what proportion

                > > do you

                > > leave for reseeding?

                > > Would rye be any use?

                > > ALan

              • David
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 7, 2013
                  Alan, and Nandan,
                  The area in wheat has young trees around the perimeter. We planted them
                  for wind break and shade. Also, although we in a desert, there is water
                  as little as 14 ft. (5m) down. Most wells above in our area above 100
                  ft. have nitrate contamination due to the intensive chemical based
                  agriculture in the area. Our hope is that the trees will pull some of
                  the nitrates from the ground, with the water. The wheat that is shaded
                  matures later than the wheat in full sun, but other than that it all
                  ripens at the same time.

                  The density of the wheat does not come close to the density of the
                  commercial farms in the area. I posted a photo that uses the wheat as a
                  background for one of our ewes to give an idea as to the height and
                  density. She is about 27in. (69cm) at the shoulder (withers).

                  The wheat was seeded originally with an unknown variety. I got about 12
                  lbs.(5.5kg) from a pile that was spilled on the side of the road by a
                  truck hauling it. So, I expect that the original was a hybrid variety
                  that has devolved to one of its predecessors. It is very stable and
                  consistent year after year with good kernels.

                  The thing that limits most summer growing plants here is the high
                  temperatures and lack of rain from June through October. That is why I
                  thought the pigeon pea might work. If it can grow in the cool wet spring
                  and make it to seed by the end of May, it would have a chance.

                  David
                  Idaho

                  On 1/7/2013 5:48 AM, Alan Sloan wrote:

                  > Ok,
                  >
                  > And how time-consistent is the grain yield, ie does it all ripen at the
                  > same time or do you get a divergence over time so the seed is ripening
                  > over
                  > a period?
                  >
                  > And is there any way to guess a "natural" potential grain yield per area
                  > for vegetarian humans as opposed to turkeys?
                  >
                  > Oh Wow, sorry, so many questions... its just curiosity, so don't worry if
                  > you've no time to reply - Thanks for getting back to me this time.
                  >
                  > 1" of humus in 10 years is great and benefiting me on the other side
                  > of the
                  > world, thank you!. It's pulling carbon down out of the atmosphere and
                  > retaining water and nutrients so there's a 4 dimensional aspect, its not
                  > all about yield.
                  >
                  > But to intensify the grain yield, I heard of a Rye-beans system in Germany
                  > (cold winters) where rye was planted with beans, the beans got cut down by
                  > hard spring frosts and were decaying as soil warmed up and the rye
                  > took off
                  > in the spring. That was a ploughing method, but I wonder if a bean
                  > fertiliser principle could be added into your mix.
                  >
                  > Alan
                  > England
                  >
                  > On 7 January 2013 03:52, David dragon@...
                  > <mailto:dragon%40owlandragon.com>> wrote:
                  >
                  > > **
                  > >

                  > > We have left it fallow, our soil is fine sand (dust) with little organic
                  > > matter. The wheat has built up a 1 inch (2.5 cm) layer of organic matter
                  > > over the last 10 years, and acted as a cover crop during our winter
                  > > winds. The winds are commonly 40 mph (64 kph) We have converted a bit at
                  > > a time to pasture, and other than the one grazing in the spring, left
                  > > the wheat for the wild turkeys, pheasant, and quail that frequent the
                  > > area. I believe there is a winter rye that could work, our winter lows
                  > > last week were -4*F (-20C). I scattered some chicory last fall to see if
                  > > it takes hold.
                  > >
                  > > David
                  > > Idaho
                  > >

                  > > On 1/6/2013 2:28 PM, Alan Sloan wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > Hi David,
                  > > > Do harvest the wheat if so is it by hand, and if so, what proportion
                  > > > do you
                  > > > leave for reseeding?
                  > > > Would rye be any use?
                  > > > ALan

                • Nandan Palaparambil
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 7, 2013
                    This wheat looks really good, it has established neatly.. Never thought reseeding can bringup crops like this..Thanks for sharing this photo..