RE: [fukuoka_farming] Weed scrapers

  • Linda Shewan
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 13, 2012
      I have one and I love it. Cuts off weeds etc below the soil and leaves a
      loose soil mulch on top. I use it to create a patch to put in a seedling.

      I also have a long handled similar version, light duty hoe, which I scrape
      along the dirt paths sometimes.

      Can only use them for young weeds, not designed for well established ones.

      And I have a saw similar to the Kusakichi Saw Tooth Sickle (mine was called
      a kama) which is great for cutting plants off just above ground and it can
      handle pretty tough ones as well!

      Cheers, Linda

      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 15, 2012
        Thanks Linda.

        I have got the quotation from Hida tools, parcel charge is reasonable at 17$ to India.

        Indian friends - Any one know what kind of duty has to be paid while importing agriculture tools?

        Regards,
        Nandan

        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 15, 2012
          Around 13%

          Source :
          http://www.cybex.in/indian-custom-duty/Agricultural-Horticultural-Forestry-Machinery-Soil-Hs-Code-8432.aspx

          Regards

          On Thu, Nov 15, 2012 at 4:35 PM, Nandan Palaparambil <p_k_nandanan@...
          > wrote:

          > **
          >

          > Thanks Linda.
          >
          > I have got the quotation from Hida tools, parcel charge is reasonable at
          > 17$ to India.
          >
          > Indian friends - Any one know what kind of duty has to be paid while
          > importing agriculture tools?
          >
          > Regards,
          > Nandan
          >
          > --- On Wed, 11/14/12, Linda Shewan <linda_shewan@...> wrote:
          >
          > --
          Dipesh Shah
          +919820447629
          --
          www.dipesh-shah.org

        • yajnesh shetty
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 15, 2012
            Nandan is that quote for a postage service with a tracking number ? If so that is quite reasonable considering the size of the package.I am thinking of ordering one of the grass sickles with the long handle too.
                 I think the customs charges depend on the whims and fancies the that particular customs officer.I was charged more than 30 % for my string trimmer if I remember correctly but lower priced items within the Rs 3000-4000 come through without any customs duty in my experience.
            http://www.hidatool.com/gardening/sickles/kusakichi-noborigama-branch-trimming-sickle
            This sickle reminds me of what Bhaskar Saveji carries around with him.It is like a "walking stick" sized stick with a sickle like this at the lower end.Great for chop and drop mulching.
                                                                                              Regards,
                                                                                                    Yaj.

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 15, 2012
              Yaj,

              With tracking parcel charge is around 40 USD.
              Thanks for the information on the duty.

              Fukuoka san used to carry a sickle with long handle which looked like a mini scythe.

              Regards,
              Nandan

              From: Linda Shewan <linda_shewan@...>

              To: fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com