Weed scrapers

  • Nandan
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 12, 2012
      Hi All,

      Recently got the link of Hida tools from Jason and found the weed scraper tool in this site. Have anyone used this?

      See the link - http://www.hidatool.com/gardening/weeders

      I am in the process of weeding the rice field. I have put seed balls and horse gram together in the grass and then cut and mulched the grass and no tiling was done. One variety of rice (Kattuyanam from Karikalan) didn't germinate well, but the problem was because of less water/no rain, watering is done now to be seen if it comes back. Germination is good for both rice and horse gram but weeds are also there. If I leave the weeds there is a chance that they grow tall and rice plants become shaded. If the weeding is delayed, the effort becomes many times. Main threat is a type of creeper which gets on to the rice plants.

      So thinking of using a weeder for initial weed control. Vegetative phase of rice is around 2 months, during this stage probably two weeding has to be done. Horse gram and mulching gives some weed control, but it is not perfect.

      Some more description about the cultivation can be seen in the blog -

      http://farming-experiments.blogspot.in/2012/11/grain-farming-2nd-crop-season-2012.html

      Please let me know if any one used these kind of weed scrapers.

      Regards,
      Nandan
    • Linda Shewan
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 13, 2012
        I have one and I love it. Cuts off weeds etc below the soil and leaves a
        loose soil mulch on top. I use it to create a patch to put in a seedling.

        I also have a long handled similar version, light duty hoe, which I scrape
        along the dirt paths sometimes.

        Can only use them for young weeds, not designed for well established ones.

        And I have a saw similar to the Kusakichi Saw Tooth Sickle (mine was called
        a kama) which is great for cutting plants off just above ground and it can
        handle pretty tough ones as well!

        Cheers, Linda

[...]

      • Nandan Palaparambil
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 15, 2012
          Thanks Linda.

          I have got the quotation from Hida tools, parcel charge is reasonable at 17$ to India.

          Indian friends - Any one know what kind of duty has to be paid while importing agriculture tools?

          Regards,
          Nandan

          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 15, 2012
            Around 13%

            Source :
            http://www.cybex.in/indian-custom-duty/Agricultural-Horticultural-Forestry-Machinery-Soil-Hs-Code-8432.aspx

            Regards

            On Thu, Nov 15, 2012 at 4:35 PM, Nandan Palaparambil <p_k_nandanan@...
            > wrote:

            > **
            >

            > Thanks Linda.
            >
            > I have got the quotation from Hida tools, parcel charge is reasonable at
            > 17$ to India.
            >
            > Indian friends - Any one know what kind of duty has to be paid while
            > importing agriculture tools?
            >
            > Regards,
            > Nandan
            >
            > --- On Wed, 11/14/12, Linda Shewan <linda_shewan@...> wrote:
            >
            > --
            Dipesh Shah
            +919820447629
            --
            www.dipesh-shah.org

          • yajnesh shetty
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 15, 2012
              Nandan is that quote for a postage service with a tracking number ? If so that is quite reasonable considering the size of the package.I am thinking of ordering one of the grass sickles with the long handle too.
                   I think the customs charges depend on the whims and fancies the that particular customs officer.I was charged more than 30 % for my string trimmer if I remember correctly but lower priced items within the Rs 3000-4000 come through without any customs duty in my experience.
              http://www.hidatool.com/gardening/sickles/kusakichi-noborigama-branch-trimming-sickle
              This sickle reminds me of what Bhaskar Saveji carries around with him.It is like a "walking stick" sized stick with a sickle like this at the lower end.Great for chop and drop mulching.
                                                                                                Regards,
                                                                                                      Yaj.

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 15, 2012
                Yaj,

                With tracking parcel charge is around 40 USD.
                Thanks for the information on the duty.

                Fukuoka san used to carry a sickle with long handle which looked like a mini scythe.

                Regards,
                Nandan

                From: Linda Shewan <linda_shewan@...>

                To: fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com