Simple sowing stick for seeding

  • Anant Joglekar
    Message 1 of 20 , Nov 1, 2012
      http://www.epapergallery.com/Agrowon/31Oct2012/Enlarge/Pune/page8.htm

      anant joglekar

      9423089706

    • Harish Amur
      Message 2 of 20 , Nov 1, 2012
        Perfect. Was searching for a design for a long time. I tried with Bamboo
        sticks, which did not work. This seems to be the answer. Will definitely
        try getting one made.

        A funnel on the top will make it even more easy, I think.

        Thank you!

        On 2 November 2012 08:04, Anant Joglekar <apjoglekar@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > http://www.epapergallery.com/Agrowon/31Oct2012/Enlarge/Pune/page8.htm
        >
        > anant joglekar
        >
        > 9423089706
        >
        > The ultimate goal of natural farming is not simply growing crops but the
        > cultivation and perfection of human beings. Masanobu Fukuoka

      • Ruthie Aquino
        Message 3 of 20 , Nov 1, 2012
          Hello,
          How does this thing work, do you put the seeds in the pipe one by one?
          Sorry I can't read the writing.
          Why is it so long and why is the top part bent?
          It looks heavy!
          What about a shorter pvc pipe with a metal spear, that you spike
          perpendicular to the ground and not at a slanting position?
          And with a seed release mechanism when the spear is pulled from the earth,
          covering the seed with soil when it is pulled up?

          RUTHIE

          2012/11/2 Harish Amur <harishamur@...>

          > **
          >

          > Perfect. Was searching for a design for a long time. I tried with Bamboo
          > sticks, which did not work. This seems to be the answer. Will definitely
          > try getting one made.
          >
          > A funnel on the top will make it even more easy, I think.
          >
          > Thank you!
          >
          > On 2 November 2012 08:04, Anant Joglekar <apjoglekar@...> wrote:
          >
          > > **
          >

          > > http://www.epapergallery.com/Agrowon/31Oct2012/Enlarge/Pune/page8.htm
          > >
          > > anant joglekar
          > >
          > > 9423089706
          > >
          > > The ultimate goal of natural farming is not simply growing crops but the
          > > cultivation and perfection of human beings. Masanobu Fukuoka

        • Sumant Joshi
          Message 4 of 20 , Nov 2, 2012
            I have an improvement suggestion. A cross bar should be welded at the lower end for using your foot to drive the stick into hard soil

            Sent from my BSNL landline B-fone

            Warm regards,

            Sumant Joshi
            Tel - 09370010424, 0253-2361161

            >________________________________

          • Alan Sloan
            Message 5 of 20 , Nov 2, 2012
              Or maybe bolt the crossbar on to allow some depth adjustment - close to surface for small seeds, deeper for larger ones.
              Alan

              On 2 Nov 2012, at 09:35, Sumant Joshi <sumant_jo@...> wrote:

              > I have an improvement suggestion. A cross bar should be welded at the lower end for using your foot to drive the stick into hard soil
              >
              > Sent from my BSNL landline B-fone
              >
              > Warm regards,
              >
              > Sumant Joshi
              > Tel - 09370010424, 0253-2361161
              >
              > >________________________________

            • G. G. Hegde
              Message 6 of 20 , Nov 2, 2012
                When this pipe is put into the earth, some mud gets stuck into the pipe and
                seeds would not be put in the hole, how do we avoid that?. Tried this
                trick sometime back with simple curtain hanger pipe, but got into this
                issue. Has anyone used it in practice?. I feel there should be something
                inside the pipe to push out the mud and the seed.

                regards,
                gg

              • Nandan Palaparambil
                Message 7 of 20 , Nov 2, 2012
                  Another dibbler..I haven't tried out this..but thought it will be useful while planting through mulch.

                  http://agritech.tnau.ac.in/agricultural_engineering/agriengg_fmp_commercial_naveen_dibbler.html

                  Right now I am broadcasting the seeds over the grass and cutting using string cutter, but the cutter blows away the seeds from its original position, so it is not uniform.

                  I have plans to cut the grass using the blade without making it powder and then keeping it at one side, so that lot of energy is saved for making it powder. Later put the seeds and then spread the grass back.

                  Regards,
                  Nandan

                  Message 8 of 20 , Nov 2, 2012
                    I thought the little spade on the end was pushed in, pulled toward the operator so opening a hole for the seed to drop into? That would keep mud away from the hole.
                    Alan

                  • Russel Lopez
                    Message 9 of 20 , Nov 2, 2012
                      I can't read the text, but I think the original design will work just fine
                      as-is. If the spear point is inserted shallow and perpendicularly into the
                      ground. No soil goes inside the tool. Pull the tool back towards you
                      opening up a small hole in the ground. Drop the seed in the tool. The seed
                      falls in the hole, then remove the tool closing the hole with your foot.
                      Simple. Effective.

                      How deep do you plant your seeds and how hard is your soil? Few seeds are
                      planted more than 5 cm deep and most much less than this. This tool is
                      elegant and awesome in its simplicity. Great ingenuity is shown by the
                      creator of the tool. I am very impressed.

                      Yes, you could create a diesel or solar powered seed dropper out of
                      stainless steel if you wanted to. You could even add computer controlled
                      wheels and hydraulics to move it along the ground and automatically dig the
                      soil with a GPS guidance system but that misses the point, which is to use
                      native materials readily available at low or no cost. It's all about the
                      inputs.

                      Make a simpler tool than this one that works and yours will be the one on
                      the magazine cover.

                      Russel

                      Message 10 of 20 , Nov 2, 2012
                        Hello again,
                        I am not criticizing this beautiful tool.
                        It is just that...well...it looks so heavy.
                        If you sow a few seeds on a small patch then fine.
                        However I suppose this is for massive sowing otherwise why invent such a
                        tool?
                        If you are a woman then how long before your muscles tetanize when using
                        this tool?
                        I can't imagine myself wielding this iron pipe for hours I would just as
                        easily make seed balls and throw them haphazadly like Fukuoka did, or else
                        just scatter seeds to the wind.

                        RUTHIE

                      • yajnesh shetty
                        Message 11 of 20 , Nov 3, 2012
                          There is a youtube video that shows a simple dibbler.a pvc pipe cut obliquely at the lower end. The idea is to press the pointed part to the ground kick it slightly forward  and drop the seed in the depression created and replace the displaced soil back over the seed with your foot.Kick,drop, step and repeat.
                                                                                                                     Regards,
                                                                                                                        Yaj.

                          ________________________________

                          Message 12 of 20 , Nov 3, 2012
                            Hmmmm.
                            I can't remember the name of that danse Yaj.

                            Cheers!
                            RUTHIE

                            Message 13 of 20 , Nov 3, 2012
                              Its called the Dibble, Ruthie! LOL
                                                                       Regards,
                                                                          Yaj.

                              ________________________________

                              Message 14 of 20 , Nov 3, 2012
                                Here is the video

                                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9qs7Rkdaqk

                                ________________________________
                                I can't remember the name of that danse Yaj.

                                Cheers!
                                RUTHIE

                                2012/11/3 yajnesh shetty <yajnesh@...>

                                > **
                                >

                                > There is a youtube video that shows a simple dibbler.a pvc pipe cut
                                > obliquely at the lower end. The idea is to press the pointed part to the
                                > ground kick it slightly forward  and drop the seed in the depression
                                > created and replace the displaced soil back over the seed with your
                                > foot.Kick,drop, step and repeat.
                                >
                                > Regards,
                                >
                                > Yaj.
                                >

                                > ________________________________

                              • Mike Higgs

                                  Message 16 of 20 , Nov 3, 2012
                                    Heavy is good for harder ground, get a bit more kinetic energy behind the point!

                                    On 3 Nov 2012, at 10:44, Mike Higgs <trenthillsca@...> wrote:

                                    > There's nothing inherent in the design that says that it must be heavy. We
                                    > each work with what is available to us.
                                    >
                                    > Regards,
                                    > Mike
                                    >
                                    > On 2 November 2012 10:58(PDT), <"Ruthie Aquino" ruthieaquino1> wrote:
                                    >
                                    > Hello again,
                                    > I am not criticizing this beautiful tool.
                                    > It is just that...well...it looks so heavy.
                                    > If you sow a few seeds on a small patch then fine.
                                    > However I suppose this is for massive sowing otherwise why invent such a
                                    > tool?
                                    > If you are a woman then how long before your muscles tetanize when using
                                    > this tool?
                                    > I can't imagine myself wielding this iron pipe for hours I would just as
                                    > easily make seed balls and throw them haphazadly like Fukuoka did, or else
                                    > just scatter seeds to the wind.
                                    >
                                    > RUTHIE

                                  • Ruthie Aquino
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Nov 3, 2012
                                      I see you guys are used to wielding axes.
                                      Maybe I was thinking of an iron bar hence my worry about the weight. At any rate I admire strong men.
                                      Best
                                      RUTHIE
                                      RUTHIE

                                      Heavy is good for harder ground, get a bit more kinetic energy behind the point!

                                      On 3 Nov 2012, at 10:44, Mike Higgs <trenthillsca@...> wrote:

                                      > There's nothing inherent in the design that says that it must be heavy. We
                                      > each work with what is available to us.
                                      >
                                      > Regards,
                                      > Mike
                                      >
                                      > On 2 November 2012 10:58(PDT), <"Ruthie Aquino" ruthieaquino1> wrote:
                                      >
                                      > Hello again,
                                      > I am not criticizing this beautiful tool.
                                      > It is just that...well...it looks so heavy.
                                      > If you sow a few seeds on a small patch then fine.
                                      > However I suppose this is for massive sowing otherwise why invent such a
                                      > tool?
                                      > If you are a woman then how long before your muscles tetanize when using
                                      > this tool?
                                      > I can't imagine myself wielding this iron pipe for hours I would just as
                                      > easily make seed balls and throw them haphazadly like Fukuoka did, or else
                                      > just scatter seeds to the wind.
                                      >
                                      > RUTHIE

                                    • Russel Lopez
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Nov 3, 2012
                                        RE: heavy tool

                                        There are lighter materials that could be used such as scrap electrical conduit with is much lighter than pipe, but would not be as durable.

                                        Weight is relative as to how you use the tool and the size of the person using it. It is also relative to the effort expended by not using the tool.

                                        I would choose to use the technique and tool that was the most effective/efficient for me to use. That may be a piece of pipe, electrical conduit, PVC or other material or possibly no tool at all.

                                        If a tool does not make my work easier, then I wouldn't use it.

                                        Russel

                                        On 3 Nov 2012, at 10:44, Mike Higgs <trenthillsca@... <mailto:trenthillsca%40gmail.com> > wrote:

                                        > There's nothing inherent in the design that says that it must be heavy. We
                                        > each work with what is available to us.
                                        >
                                        > Regards,
                                        > Mike
                                        >
                                        > On 2 November 2012 10:58(PDT), <"Ruthie Aquino" ruthieaquino1> wrote:
                                        >
                                        > Hello again,
                                        > I am not criticizing this beautiful tool.
                                        > It is just that...well...it looks so heavy.
                                        > If you sow a few seeds on a small patch then fine.
                                        > However I suppose this is for massive sowing otherwise why invent such a
                                        > tool?
                                        > If you are a woman then how long before your muscles tetanize when using
                                        > this tool?
                                        > I can't imagine myself wielding this iron pipe for hours I would just as
                                        > easily make seed balls and throw them haphazadly like Fukuoka did, or else
                                        > just scatter seeds to the wind.
                                        >
                                        > RUTHIE

                                      • Ruthie Aquino
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Nov 3, 2012
                                          Clear and concise.

                                          best
                                          RUTHIE

                                          2012/11/3 Russel Lopez <russel.lopez@...>

                                          > **
                                          >

                                          > RE: heavy tool
                                          >
                                          > There are lighter materials that could be used such as scrap electrical
                                          > conduit with is much lighter than pipe, but would not be as durable.
                                          >
                                          > Weight is relative as to how you use the tool and the size of the person
                                          > using it. It is also relative to the effort expended by not using the tool.
                                          >
                                          > I would choose to use the technique and tool that was the most
                                          > effective/efficient for me to use. That may be a piece of pipe, electrical
                                          > conduit, PVC or other material or possibly no tool at all.
                                          >
                                          > If a tool does not make my work easier, then I wouldn't use it.
                                          >
                                          > Russel

                                        • d pfalzer
                                          Message 20 of 20 , Nov 3, 2012
                                            Maybe bamboo would be a good choice in some instances.