Re: [fukuoka_farming] Scythe Vs Motorised Harvester

  • Nandan Palaparambil
    Message 1 of 33 , Oct 26, 2012
      Dear Raju sir,
      If Berceem clover is a winter crop, it will be difficult to manage non-winter periods. Basically what we need is a cover crop which grows round the year.
      Some body (don't remember who??) had suggested bur clover, has to dig that information and see if it can suit our climate.

      Regards,Nandan

      Message 33 of 33 , Oct 28, 2012
        Daniel,

        Thanks for the picture and details.

        It looks like different strategies works for different regions/people.

        Fukuoka san used white clover in orchard and rice field. Even I have the requirement of cover crop in rice field and orchard. Managing cover crop in orchard is much easier, and for me sunhemp work fine, horse gram/cowpea has to be still proved. As you mentioned, maintenance is easier with nice cover crop and better fertility is achieved using cover crop. We are finding some contradictions to this theory - as per some weeds are best..this is yet to be validated. But cover crop which establishes and chokes out all the local weeds are not recommented. For eg. if we put mucuna, it will choke out all the weeds and will establish completely and removing them later is not easy..

        Fukuoka san could do grain with the help of while clover. As per this method, the white clover was controlling the grass and enriching the soil and when white clover takes control, he weakens it by allowing standing water. This is possible only with leguminous plants, with grass if you allow standing water, it is going to grow much better.

        But I think we have to keep experimenting in different regions and exchange the experiences and document it. Lot of people who gets into natural farming will benefit from this and we will be able to provide a more predictable solutions to different regions.

        Regards,
        Nandan