Re: [fukuoka_farming] free seeds and synergy notes

  • Larry Haftl
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 3, 2002
      At Tuesday, 3 December 2002, Leland Lehrman wrote:

      >and especially request list elders Emilia, Bob Monie and Larry Haftl
      put in
      >requests.

      LOL! I may generally qualify as an elder (somewhat youngish I hope),
      but not on this list. Compared to Emilia, Robert Monie and others
      I am a comparative newbie, and when it comes to growing things almost
      totally inept. If you send me some seed I promise to plant them.
      You pick. I'll have more than 2,400 sq. ft. of new raised beds to
      mess with next year, so there is plenty of room to play with.

      >seed sources I know about. This makes me wonder why we couldn't
      at least
      >list him at the top of the seed sources list. What do you think Larry?

      That is not a problem, but I don't think it would make much difference.
      All the sources fit on one page, people tend, I think, to choose
      new suppliers first by where the suppliers are located (which is
      why I put their locations in the link description), and then by what
      the suppliers offer. Changing the position of his link on that page
      doesn't really do much for either one of those.

      What might be more useful is two things: send me some info, and maybe
      a photo or two, and I can put his operation on the Projects Map (from
      your description it sounds like it definitely deserves to be included
      in that). Also, write an article about what he does and why he does
      it and I can post that also (assuming it is more than just an advertising
      plug). If you don't feel comfortable writing it, send me what you
      have and I can put it into readable shape. Both of those would, I
      think, generate more interest in what he is doing/offering than just
      moving the link up the list a bit.

      >He's right down the road from you in Orleans, California. Why don't
      you pay him a
      >visit, make some seedballs and report on the site for the list.

      It's possible, but not quickly or easily so. About a 5-6 hour drive
      each way, which means a very long day or overnighter. My foot is
      somewhat nailed to the floor here, so to get away (which I would
      dearly love to do) requires a lot of pre-planning and that takes
      time to work out. In the meantime, the other two suggestions can
      be done fairly easily and quickly if you and George are interested.

      >his main interest was not in agribusiness but in growing seeds for
      the new
      >generation of natural farmers. I was blown away. Here's a guy who is
      >focusing on the young, inexperienced, backyard gardener and is developing
      >seeds that are grown to perform well in even marginally well-tended
      earth.

      None of this comes across on his website or in anything I've seen
      written by or about him. Perhaps this is what you could write about.
      Get the word out. One of the business axioms related to making profits
      is that people's perceptions and knowledge of what you do is often
      more important that what you actually do.

      Larry Haftl
      larry@...
      http://larryhaftl.com
      http://FukuokaNaturalFarming.org
    • tiakd14477
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 4, 2002
        I must have missed this as my account size was too large and was
        refusing messages.
        Free open pollinated seeds? Was he wishing people to grow for
        anything specific - seeds in exchange, comment on growth in certain
        climates etc?
        Is it possible to request from Canada? I was told a year ago that
        they are halting seed exchanges between US and Canada and I was
        disappointed as I used to do a lot of exchange with US people. Got my
        favorite tomato seeds from there - Amish Paste (yes, they grew in
        zone 2-3 which is totally unbelievable.)
        I do try to pass along heirloom and open pollinated seeds to anyone
        interested, so if he is wanting to promote people using non-hybrids,
        I would be more than happy to help. Due to a bad year with an
        unexpected hard frost while we were gone, I had no seeds to save this
        year so am having to find them where I can.
        I can't imagine there are a lot that would be growable in my short
        season climate, but I would be willing to try something. Does he have
        a list somewhere?
        And if I am completely off on what is going on, by all means,
        straighten me out :<)
        Regards
        Heather

        -- In fukuoka_farming@y..., "Leland Lehrman" <leland@3...> wrote:
        > Howdy folks, appreciate the increasing diversity and richness of
        the posts and the new members with their spiraling requests and
        contributions. I have everyone's free seed order for George but am
        missing one person's address. Will wait on that address for another
        week and then proceed with distribution. I will make one last call
        here for orders from the new folks