Re: free seeds and synergy notes

  • corfuku
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 3, 2002
      that's great leland, thanks for the good work and for the post.
      some really interesting stuff there. it would be so important if
      something like that works, if you're able to organize and expand the
      work started by george. i wish you all the best, and i really think it
      is very important what you were saying about the cost of seeds and
      trying to promote for younger people and old-age pensioners, etc...
      i'm a student living in florence (italy), trapped in the concrete. i'm
      finishing of my dissertation/thesis right now, and afterwards i'm not
      sure what i will be doing. i would hope that at some point i moght be
      able to leave the dirtiness of the city and put into practice some
      healthy natural farming. and, although i'm better off than most other
      young people (economically and with respect to schooling too), i
      realize that it's not easy starting out, making a clean break with the
      shitstem and living [trully] with nature ... so i really appreciate
      initiatives like the one you and george are trying to put together.
      listening to the seeds is also very interesting. and sometimes i think
      that it's not even important whether or not we are able to see, hear,
      understand what a seed wants and needs .... just the fact that we slow
      down and _try_ to listen and understand is of utmost importance.
      slowing down a little gives us the opportunity to see an alternative
      to the usual way of things. just breathing a little more slowly and a
      little more deeply helps to dissolve fears and mindtroubles even
      before they come up.

      by the way, the internet site: if there's help needed with languages
      maybe i can do something. italian, spanish, yugoslav (serbo-croat)....

      back to studying for my dissertation...

      pavle

      (ps - leland, i sent you my address in an email some time ago. so i
      don't think it's me whose address you don't have. but let me know if
      the email didn't get to you.)
    • Justin .
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 3, 2002
        Would you mind running through that once more? Sorry to be so slow. What is
        the process? Where is the list of seeds? And we send money to where for the
        posting?
        Thanks.
        Justin.

        >From: "Leland Lehrman" <leland@...>
        >Howdy folks, appreciate the increasing diversity and richness of the posts
        >and the new members with their spiraling requests and contributions. I have
        >everyone's free seed order for George but am missing one person's address.
        >Will wait on that address for another week and then proceed with
        >distribution. I will make one last call here for orders from the new folks
        >and especially request list elders Emilia, Bob Monie and Larry Haftl put in
        >requests.

      • Larry Haftl
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 3, 2002
          At Tuesday, 3 December 2002, Leland Lehrman wrote:

          >and especially request list elders Emilia, Bob Monie and Larry Haftl
          put in
          >requests.

          LOL! I may generally qualify as an elder (somewhat youngish I hope),
          but not on this list. Compared to Emilia, Robert Monie and others
          I am a comparative newbie, and when it comes to growing things almost
          totally inept. If you send me some seed I promise to plant them.
          You pick. I'll have more than 2,400 sq. ft. of new raised beds to
          mess with next year, so there is plenty of room to play with.

          >seed sources I know about. This makes me wonder why we couldn't
          at least
          >list him at the top of the seed sources list. What do you think Larry?

          That is not a problem, but I don't think it would make much difference.
          All the sources fit on one page, people tend, I think, to choose
          new suppliers first by where the suppliers are located (which is
          why I put their locations in the link description), and then by what
          the suppliers offer. Changing the position of his link on that page
          doesn't really do much for either one of those.

          What might be more useful is two things: send me some info, and maybe
          a photo or two, and I can put his operation on the Projects Map (from
          your description it sounds like it definitely deserves to be included
          in that). Also, write an article about what he does and why he does
          it and I can post that also (assuming it is more than just an advertising
          plug). If you don't feel comfortable writing it, send me what you
          have and I can put it into readable shape. Both of those would, I
          think, generate more interest in what he is doing/offering than just
          moving the link up the list a bit.

          >He's right down the road from you in Orleans, California. Why don't
          you pay him a
          >visit, make some seedballs and report on the site for the list.

          It's possible, but not quickly or easily so. About a 5-6 hour drive
          each way, which means a very long day or overnighter. My foot is
          somewhat nailed to the floor here, so to get away (which I would
          dearly love to do) requires a lot of pre-planning and that takes
          time to work out. In the meantime, the other two suggestions can
          be done fairly easily and quickly if you and George are interested.

          >his main interest was not in agribusiness but in growing seeds for
          the new
          >generation of natural farmers. I was blown away. Here's a guy who is
          >focusing on the young, inexperienced, backyard gardener and is developing
          >seeds that are grown to perform well in even marginally well-tended
          earth.

          None of this comes across on his website or in anything I've seen
          written by or about him. Perhaps this is what you could write about.
          Get the word out. One of the business axioms related to making profits
          is that people's perceptions and knowledge of what you do is often
          more important that what you actually do.

          Larry Haftl
          larry@...
          http://larryhaftl.com
          http://FukuokaNaturalFarming.org
        • tiakd14477
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 4, 2002
            I must have missed this as my account size was too large and was
            refusing messages.
            Free open pollinated seeds? Was he wishing people to grow for
            anything specific - seeds in exchange, comment on growth in certain
            climates etc?
            Is it possible to request from Canada? I was told a year ago that
            they are halting seed exchanges between US and Canada and I was
            disappointed as I used to do a lot of exchange with US people. Got my
            favorite tomato seeds from there - Amish Paste (yes, they grew in
            zone 2-3 which is totally unbelievable.)
            I do try to pass along heirloom and open pollinated seeds to anyone
            interested, so if he is wanting to promote people using non-hybrids,
            I would be more than happy to help. Due to a bad year with an
            unexpected hard frost while we were gone, I had no seeds to save this
            year so am having to find them where I can.
            I can't imagine there are a lot that would be growable in my short
            season climate, but I would be willing to try something. Does he have
            a list somewhere?
            And if I am completely off on what is going on, by all means,
            straighten me out :<)
            Regards
            Heather