Re: VS: [fukuoka_farming] new member

  • tiakd 14477
    Message 1 of 27 , Dec 2, 2002
      Can you tell what this zone means geographically? It sounds like continental
      climate.>
      We live in Saskatchewan, canada. Our last frost is approximately first of
      June, and we get our first frost in september. We live in a dry area which
      receives approximately 17 inches of moisture. We have severe cold winters
      and hot short summers. Any other questions, ask away.

      >What ideas/methods do you use? >
      Right now we have semi-raised beds (raised because I just walk on paths and
      usually put the soil from the paths on top of the beds), mulch rows and
      around veggies with grass clippings, straw, hay and garden scraps.
      I don't use heavy mulch over the winter, but cover paths after planting, and
      surround veggies with mulch around the middle of June when they get a head
      start and the air is consistently warmer.

      <We grow both vegetables and grain in 'conventional'organic way, with few
      experiments with permanent mulched beds etc. (I should write more about it
      later, if anybody is interested to know how not to do it.)>
      I would like to hear more about the mistakes you have made. i know how many
      i have made myself!

      Regards
      Heather

    • tiakd 14477
      Message 2 of 27 , Dec 2, 2002
        BTW, are you still sure your soil is selenium deficient?>>

        Yes, I know it is from the health problems I have had with the animals -
        white muscle disease.

        >The most peculiar thing I remeber from reading about selenium is
        >that it demonstrates the problem with "eating locally" if you live
        >in a mineral-deficient area. Most people get around selenium deficiency
        >in local soils by eating food from other areas that aren't.

        Which would explain why my animals were having the problem as they graze on
        our pasture in summer and eat the hay in winter. This year I started using
        kelp completely as the mineral, so I will see if that eliminates the
        problems or at least lessens them.
        Regards
        heather

      • reso47yd <reso47yd@yahoo.com>
        Message 3 of 27 , Dec 14, 2002
          A zen buddhist in the redwoods of Northern Ca. It's raining cats and
          dogs. What are rest of you doing
        • nogilahnep
          Message 4 of 27 , Jan 22, 2007
            hi, my name is Eitan,i´m from argentina. i want to know how can i go
            to visit the masanobu fukuoka´s farm. I´m reading one straw revolution
            and to me it would be realy important if i could go to japan and visit
            and work in the farm. Please send me any information, i would thank
            you whit my heart (sorry if my english is not so good). Paz, Eitan.
          • Bart
            Message 5 of 27 , Jan 24, 2007
              Hi Eitan,

              I think Masanobu Fukuoka died, and who knows what happened or is
              happening with his farm. But there are other places where you can
              learn a lot about natural farming... - our own farm in a few years in
              Mexico maybe ;)
              Meanwhile you can have a look in the "links" section of this group,
              and don't forget to check out the "Natural Farming and Zen" post
              earlier...

              saludos,
              Bart
            • leafhaskell
              Message 6 of 27 , Apr 2 5:25 AM
                Eitan,
                I, too, am living in Arg. and am planning on visiting Japan this year.
                Did you have any luck locating the Fukuoka farm?

                --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "nogilahnep" <nogilahnep@...>
                wrote:

                > hi, my name is Eitan,i´m from argentina. i want to know how can i go
                > to visit the masanobu fukuoka´s farm. I´m reading one straw revolution
                > and to me it would be realy important if i could go to japan and visit
                > and work in the farm. Please send me any information, i would thank
                > you whit my heart (sorry if my english is not so good). Paz, Eitan.

              • Carlos Enrique Kaiser Winkler
                Message 7 of 27 , Apr 4 8:23 PM
                  Saludos to my Andes neighbors Eitan, "leafhaskell" : If it might be of
                  interest to you: Here is the adress of the best NF according to M.Fukuoka.
                  The farm is called Kalpavruksha. The owner :Bhaskar Save Adress: Village
                  Dehri,via Umergam. Dist.Valsad, Gujarad 396170.India. Open to visitors
                  each Satturday from 14.00 to 16.00 hrs. This farm is in the center west
                  coast of India.
                  .. I am travelling there, starting from B.Aires, next week. Mis saludos
                  Carlos

                  >From: "leafhaskell" <leafhaskell@...>
                  >To: fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com
                  >Subject: [fukuoka_farming] Re: new member
                  >Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2007 12:25:44 -0000
                  >
                  >Eitan,
                  >I, too, am living in Arg. and am planning on visiting Japan this year.
                  >Did you have any luck locating the Fukuoka farm?
                  >
                  >--- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "nogilahnep" <nogilahnep@...>
                  >wrote:
                  > >
                  > > hi, my name is Eitan,i´m from argentina. i want to know how can i go
                  > > to visit the masanobu fukuoka´s farm. I´m reading one straw revolution
                  > > and to me it would be realy important if i could go to japan and visit
                  > > and work in the farm. Please send me any information, i would thank
                  > > you whit my heart (sorry if my english is not so good). Paz, Eitan.

                  MSN Amor: busca tu ½ naranja http://latam.msn.com/amor/
                • Michael Meredith
                  Message 8 of 27 , Dec 30, 2008
                    Hello, I am a researcher getting into plant research after a long haitus.
                    I am studying azomite, charcoal, sonic bloom, and weed farming.
                    How about you?
                    Michael

                  • robin
                    Message 9 of 27 , Dec 31, 2008
                      ha ha! many of us are into weed farming, also! weeds as in legal ones,
                      that is. is that what you mean?***robin

                      Michael Meredith <meredith848@...> wrote:

                      > Hello, I am a researcher getting into plant research after a long
                      haitus.
                      > I am studying azomite, charcoal, sonic bloom, and weed farming.
                      > How about you?
                      > Michael

                    • Dieter Brand
                      Message 10 of 27 , Dec 31, 2008
                        Michael,

                        Welcome to the group. "Weed farming" sounds consistent with Natural
                        Farming. Tell us more about it.

                        Dieter

                        On 12/31/08, robin <witchessocks@...> wrote:
                        > ha ha! many of us are into weed farming, also! weeds as in legal ones,
                        > that is. is that what you mean?***robin
                        >
                        > Michael Meredith <meredith848@...> wrote:
                        >>
                        >> Hello, I am a researcher getting into plant research after a long
                        > haitus.
                        >> I am studying azomite, charcoal, sonic bloom, and weed farming.
                        >> How about you?
                        >> Michael

                      • Michael Meredith
                        Message 11 of 27 , Dec 31, 2008
                          I stomp the weeds down, weigh the bushes down with corn stalks, and the melons can grow on top of that. The roots prevent erosion, animal habitat is not lost, I save time. I have an undeveloped garden area.
                          Michael

                          ________________________________

                          On 12/31/08, robin <witchessocks@ yahoo.com> wrote:
                          > ha ha! many of us are into weed farming, also! weeds as in legal ones,
                          > that is. is that what you mean?***robin
                          >
                          > Michael Meredith <meredith848@ ...> wrote:
                          >>
                          >> Hello, I am a researcher getting into plant research after a long
                          > haitus.
                          >> I am studying azomite, charcoal, sonic bloom, and weed farming.
                          >> How about you?
                          >> Michael

                        • Dieter Brand
                          Message 12 of 27 , Dec 31, 2008
                            Michael,

                            That sounds a lot like "mulched gardening", which is of course fine in
                            its own right. I imagined something like "sod culture" when you
                            talked about "weed farming". Sod culture is nothing new in orchards
                            but can present a challenge in vegetable cultivation.

                            Dieter

                            On 12/31/08, Michael Meredith <meredith848@...> wrote:
                            > I stomp the weeds down, weigh the bushes down with corn stalks, and the
                            > melons can grow on top of that. The roots prevent erosion, animal habitat is
                            > not lost, I save time. I have an undeveloped garden area.
                            > Michael
                            >

                            > ________________________________

                          • Michael Meredith
                            Message 13 of 27 , Dec 31, 2008
                              Its a cross between the two, adapted to local weeds.
                              I'm also planting squash, beans, and corn together(the three sisters),
                              evidently grown in all the americas, including Chile.
                              Michael

                              ________________________________

                              On 12/31/08, Michael Meredith <meredith848@ yahoo.com> wrote:
                              > I stomp the weeds down, weigh the bushes down with corn stalks, and the
                              > melons can grow on top of that. The roots prevent erosion, animal habitat is
                              > not lost, I save time. I have an undeveloped garden area.
                              > Michael
                              >

                              > ____________ _________ _________ __

                            • drey_lim
                              Message 14 of 27 , Mar 1, 2009
                                Hello to all,

                                Let me introduced myself, my name is Andry Lim and I came from Davao
                                City Philippines. Our farming technique refers to the Korean natural
                                farming using indigenous microorganism and enzymes this we applied and
                                adopted for the production of farmstead produced farm inputs to plants
                                and animals. We find it appropriate to teach the technology to
                                Filipino farmers and can be duplicated by small scale farmers to
                                medium scale production units and it has proven very effective. It's
                                concept is integrated to livestock and aquaculture. We teach farmer to
                                plant leguminous trees (fodder) as food for pigs, goats, chicken and
                                fish to sustain one single farm operation.
                                My intention in joining the group is to learn more about fukuoka
                                technology from the expert within the group and if given a chance,
                                exchanged and share the same passion for natural farming our practice,
                                success story in the Philippines by Filipino farmers who embraces the
                                technology of zero chemical and zero tillage and it’s love for nature.
                                Our earth is screaming for help!

                                Andry K Lim
                                Davao City Philippines