Slugs and radish saplings

  • Harish Amur
    Message 1 of 19 , Oct 3, 2012
      On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 8:04 PM, iyo.farm@... <iyo.farm@...>wrote:

      > Excuse my ignorance, but do you have slugs in your garden/fields and are
      > they not attracted to the rot?

      Today I was studying a pot in my terrace. It is actually a carton, about
      1.5' long and a foot wide. I was growing a few radish earlier. I harvested
      a few and then let two of them mature - for seeds. Over a period of time, I
      got to see the flowers and then the vegetables(?) and now the seeds. I
      harvested most of the seeds. While doing so, a few of them fell back into
      the pot and they have germinated.

      I keep throwing all sorts of things into the pot. So there are banana
      peels, banana leaves, banana fruit remains, other leaves, etc. There are
      two slugs in the pot. I am expecting them to eat the tender leaves of the
      radish saplings. It has been a few days. The leaves on the saplings are
      intact.

      I am not drawing any conclusion yet. Just sharing my observation.

      However, if the saplings do grow into radish plants with the presence of
      slugs in the pot, then we will have an interesting case.

      Regards,
      Harish

    • Alan Sloan
      Message 2 of 19 , Oct 3, 2012
        I do know that slugs will eat anything if they are hungry enough, even onions. Yes, slugs will occasionally eat those acrid plants if they are hungry enough. If there are tastier alternatives to your radish they may prefer the banana skins egg and this is an interesting observation. However well fed slugs will rapidly reproduce and without predators will overwhelm even the hottest radish. Good luck, keep us informed on the outcome!
        Alan

        On 3 Oct 2012, at 14:56, Harish Amur <harishamur@...> wrote:

        > On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 8:04 PM, iyo.farm@... <iyo.farm@...>wrote:
        >
        > > Excuse my ignorance, but do you have slugs in your garden/fields and are
        > > they not attracted to the rot?
        > >

        > Today I was studying a pot in my terrace. It is actually a carton, about
        > 1.5' long and a foot wide. I was growing a few radish earlier. I harvested
        > a few and then let two of them mature - for seeds. Over a period of time, I
        > got to see the flowers and then the vegetables(?) and now the seeds. I
        > harvested most of the seeds. While doing so, a few of them fell back into
        > the pot and they have germinated.
        >
        > I keep throwing all sorts of things into the pot. So there are banana
        > peels, banana leaves, banana fruit remains, other leaves, etc. There are
        > two slugs in the pot. I am expecting them to eat the tender leaves of the
        > radish saplings. It has been a few days. The leaves on the saplings are
        > intact.
        >
        > I am not drawing any conclusion yet. Just sharing my observation.
        >
        > However, if the saplings do grow into radish plants with the presence of
        > slugs in the pot, then we will have an interesting case.
        >
        > Regards,
        > Harish

      • Alan Sloan
        Message 3 of 19 , Oct 10, 2012
          Harish,
          .... how are the radish?
          Well, I hope, but I fear the worst.
          ALan

          On 3 October 2012 14:56, Harish Amur <harishamur@...> wrote:

          > **
          >

          > On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 8:04 PM, iyo.farm@... <iyo.farm@...
          > >wrote:
          >
          > > Excuse my ignorance, but do you have slugs in your garden/fields and are
          > > they not attracted to the rot?
          > >

          > Today I was studying a pot in my terrace. It is actually a carton, about
          > 1.5' long and a foot wide. I was growing a few radish earlier. I harvested
          > a few and then let two of them mature - for seeds. Over a period of time, I
          > got to see the flowers and then the vegetables(?) and now the seeds. I
          > harvested most of the seeds. While doing so, a few of them fell back into
          > the pot and they have germinated.
          >
          > I keep throwing all sorts of things into the pot. So there are banana
          > peels, banana leaves, banana fruit remains, other leaves, etc. There are
          > two slugs in the pot. I am expecting them to eat the tender leaves of the
          > radish saplings. It has been a few days. The leaves on the saplings are
          > intact.
          >
          > I am not drawing any conclusion yet. Just sharing my observation.
          >
          > However, if the saplings do grow into radish plants with the presence of
          > slugs in the pot, then we will have an interesting case.
          >
          > Regards,
          > Harish

        • Harish Amur
          Message 4 of 19 , Oct 10, 2012
            Alan,

            They are growing well. Slugs have vanished from that pot. It is getting
            slightly hotter here as the rains have subsided. Don't know if that is a
            reason. Also, we constantly dump organic matter into that pot. Maybe we
            feed the slugs that way!

            Thanks for remembering.

            Regards,
            Harish

            On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 5:03 AM, Alan Sloan <alan851603@...> wrote:

            > Harish,
            > .... how are the radish?
            > Well, I hope, but I fear the worst.
            > ALan
            >
            > On 3 October 2012 14:56, Harish Amur <harishamur@...> wrote:
            >
            > > **
            > >

            > > On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 8:04 PM, iyo.farm@... <iyo.farm@...
            > > >wrote:
            > >
            > > > Excuse my ignorance, but do you have slugs in your garden/fields and
            > are
            > > > they not attracted to the rot?
            > > >

            > > Today I was studying a pot in my terrace. It is actually a carton, about
            > > 1.5' long and a foot wide. I was growing a few radish earlier. I
            > harvested
            > > a few and then let two of them mature - for seeds. Over a period of
            > time, I
            > > got to see the flowers and then the vegetables(?) and now the seeds. I
            > > harvested most of the seeds. While doing so, a few of them fell back into
            > > the pot and they have germinated.
            > >
            > > I keep throwing all sorts of things into the pot. So there are banana
            > > peels, banana leaves, banana fruit remains, other leaves, etc. There are
            > > two slugs in the pot. I am expecting them to eat the tender leaves of the
            > > radish saplings. It has been a few days. The leaves on the saplings are
            > > intact.
            > >
            > > I am not drawing any conclusion yet. Just sharing my observation.
            > >
            > > However, if the saplings do grow into radish plants with the presence of
            > > slugs in the pot, then we will have an interesting case.
            > >
            > > Regards,
            > > Harish

          • Marcos G.
            Message 5 of 19 , Oct 11, 2012
              On Thursday 11 October 2012 00:42:54 Harish Amur wrote:
              > Alan,
              >
              > They are growing well. Slugs have vanished from that pot. It is getting
              > slightly hotter here as the rains have subsided. Don't know if that is a
              > reason. Also, we constantly dump organic matter into that pot. Maybe we
              > feed the slugs that way!
              >
              > Thanks for remembering.
              >
              > Regards,
              > Harish

              Hi, they say snails dont like Artemisia absinthium, so maybe slugs neither do.
            • Harish Amur
              Message 6 of 19 , Oct 11, 2012
                On 11 October 2012 16:18, Marcos G. <marcos@...> wrote:

                > Artemisia absinthium

                Marcos, didn't understand. I am trying to grow Radish (*Raphanus
                sativus). *What
                is Artemisia? I did google it, not seen that plant yet.

              • Anant Joglekar
                Message 7 of 19 , Oct 11, 2012
                  Check -Artemisia absinthium L-

                  http://www.discoverlife.org/mp/20q?search=Artemisia+absinthium&guide=Wildflowers&cl=US/IN

                  anant joglekar
                  9423089706

                  Message 8 of 19 , Oct 11, 2012
                    On Thursday 11 October 2012 13:34:06 Harish Amur wrote:
                    > On 11 October 2012 16:18, Marcos G. <marcos@...> wrote:
                    > > Artemisia absinthium
                    >
                    > Marcos, didn't understand. I am trying to grow Radish (*Raphanus
                    > sativus). *What
                    > is Artemisia? I did google it, not seen that plant yet.

                    Hi

                    Because snails and maybe slugs does not like artemisa, maybe you could benefit from that
                  • Harish Amur
                    Message 9 of 19 , Oct 12, 2012
                      Got it! Thank you.

                      On 12 October 2012 06:33, Marcos G. <marcos@...> wrote:

                      > On Thursday 11 October 2012 13:34:06 Harish Amur wrote:
                      > > On 11 October 2012 16:18, Marcos G. <marcos@...> wrote:
                      > > > Artemisia absinthium
                      > >
                      > > Marcos, didn't understand. I am trying to grow Radish (*Raphanus
                      > > sativus). *What
                      > > is Artemisia? I did google it, not seen that plant yet.
                      >

                      > Hi
                      >
                      > Because snails and maybe slugs does not like artemisa, maybe you could
                      > benefit from that

                    • Harish Amur
                      Message 10 of 19 , Oct 12, 2012
                        Doesn't seem to grow in India(as per the map). Also, the article says "

                        Threats

                        Absinth sage can create a problem in native grasslands, pastures, and
                        fields by outcompeting grasses and other *desirable* plants."
                        Need to think about it a bit.

                        Regards,
                        Harish

                        Message 11 of 19 , Oct 12, 2012
                          once upon a time it was argued for Gajar Ghas ( congress grass ), subabhul and eucalyptus too. It is true in cases where they are allowed to grow unattended / wildly but when used in NF it is very much under observation and control of the farmer. There is no University or Research Institute to undertake such work. N.Farmer has to do it himself as trial and error for learning.(Fukuoka did so with subabhul in his Paddy field, till then no one in Japan had even thought of growing subabhul with paddy )

                          think,rethink,act,watch,observe,conclude,discuss,modify (if needed),repeat---

                          best of luck.

                          anant joglekar
                          9423089706

                          >________________________________

                        • Nandan Palaparambil
                          Message 12 of 19 , Oct 12, 2012
                            Subabul can be easily established...but hundreds of young ones comes under each grown up and all grows vigorously. Being tree, difficult to cut and and mulch once they are grown.

                            How did Fukuoka san grow Subabul with paddy? Was it planted on the by bunds?

                            Regards,
                            Nandan

                            ________________________________
                            once upon a time it was argued for Gajar Ghas ( congress grass ), subabhul and eucalyptus too. It is true in cases where they are allowed to grow unattended / wildly but when used in NF it is very much under observation and control of the farmer. There is no University or Research Institute to undertake such work. N.Farmer has to do it himself as trial and error for learning.(Fukuoka did so with subabhul in his Paddy field, till then no one in Japan had even thought of growing subabhul with paddy )

                            think,rethink,act,watch,observe,conclude,discuss,modify (if needed),repeat---

                            best of luck.

                            anant joglekar
                            9423089706

                            >________________________________

                          • Raju Titus
                            Message 13 of 19 , Oct 12, 2012
                              Dear friends,
                              Every place is having its own ecology. Ecological conditions very
                              according farming, animal husbandry etc. I was brought Subabul as fodder
                              tree. I am keeping milch animals Subabul provides best green high protein
                              fodder through out the year. We cut small branches from top for leaves, by
                              this we get woods in plenty. We are living near by city where availability
                              of fire wood is problem, We sell this wood to needy community in low cost.
                              By this we are getting income better than any farm produce. This tree saved
                              me. Many people are against due to its invasive property.
                              We are living in India where farming with domestic animal is religious
                              for this good quality fodder is essential. In 1999 Fukuoka suggested me to
                              have fodder trees for animals.
                              Now Subabul is religious for my farm, it is providing fodder,fuel water,
                              air and sufficient nitrogen. After cutting it regenerate with in a year.
                              Seeds fall on ground remain unharmed and germinates in rainy season.
                              The same way Gajr ghas and rishi kripa (weeds) are working in my farm as
                              white clover working in Fukuoka farm. Natural farming is not possible
                              without invasive local green ground cover crop (Weeds).
                              Thanks
                              Raju

                              rajuktitus@.... +919179738049.
                              http://picasaweb.google.com/rajuktitus
                            • Anant Joglekar
                              Message 14 of 19 , Oct 12, 2012
                                Dear Nandan

                                As I believe one can refer OSR (One Straw Revolution) for finding way out for the problem one faces in NF. If you do it you will find what fukuoka has suggested in Part II Chapter 13 of OSR

                                "One of the most interesting
                                trees, though not a native, is the Morishima acacia. This is the same tree I
                                mentioned earlier in connection with lady bugs and natural predator protection.
                                The wood is hard, the flowers attract bees, and the leaves are good for fodder.
                                It helps to prevent insect damage in the orchard, acts as a windbreak, and the
                                rhizobium bacteria living within the roots fertilize the soil.
                                This tree was introduced to
                                Japan from Australia some years ago and grows faster than any tree I have ever seen.
                                It sends out a deep root in just a few months and in six or seven years it
                                stands as tall as a telephone pole. In addition, this tree is a nitrogen fixer,
                                so if 6 to 10 trees are planted to the quarter acre, soil improvement can be
                                carried out in the deep soil strata and there is no need to break your back
                                hauling logs down the mountain."

                                So depending on the farm size 40 plants per acre will be the right proportion to maintain, further to avoid the nuisance it may cause one has to restrict its growth to 6-7 ft by keeping on cutting the above growth before pod-forming and using it for mulch. This could serve the purpose.

                                Hon Raju sir (our 'Light-House') can guide us in this.

                                Best Regards

                                anant joglekar
                                9423089706

                                Message 15 of 19 , Oct 13, 2012
                                  Dear friends,
                                  I am not "sir", I am not master, i can not be guru.
                                  You can call me friend,bhai or brother.
                                  In N.F. best guru is nature.
                                  Actually Fukuoka was buried tree trunks in channels to improve under ground
                                  soil for fruits saplings. This method is for very hardy and poor soil. Top
                                  soil we can improve by ground cover crops but for under ground soil we can
                                  improve by woody material. Woody material is having more organic matter for
                                  improvement it absorb more water.
                                  I also tried this method in about 2 acre. So if you are keeping few trees
                                  for wood for burial for the saplings, is easy . Otherwise you will have to
                                  bring it from out side will be very difficult.
                                  Subabul is same as Morishima acacia.
                                  This is for fruit gardening. This is very good idea to improve under ground
                                  soil.
                                  I am growing fruits and Subabul trees by this method. Every year growth is
                                  increasing.
                                  Thanks
                                  Raju

                                  Message 16 of 19 , Oct 13, 2012
                                    Dear Anantji,

                                    Thanks.

                                    True, Fukuoka san has given lot of solutions in 'One straw revolution', and each sentence has to be read carefully.

                                    Regards,
                                    Nandan

                                    ________________________________
                                    As I believe one can refer OSR (One Straw Revolution) for finding way out for the problem one faces in NF. If you do it you will find what fukuoka has suggested in Part II Chapter 13 of OSR

                                    "One of the most interesting
                                    trees, though not a native, is the Morishima acacia. This is the same tree I
                                    mentioned earlier in connection with lady bugs and natural predator protection.
                                    The wood is hard, the flowers attract bees, and the leaves are good for fodder.
                                    It helps to prevent insect damage in the orchard, acts as a windbreak, and the
                                    rhizobium bacteria living within the roots fertilize the soil.
                                    This tree was introduced to
                                    Japan from Australia some years ago and grows faster than any tree I have ever seen.
                                    It sends out a deep root in just a few months and in six or seven years it
                                    stands as tall as a telephone pole. In addition, this tree is a nitrogen fixer,
                                    so if 6 to 10 trees are planted to the quarter acre, soil improvement can be
                                    carried out in the deep soil strata and there is no need to break your back
                                    hauling logs down the mountain."

                                    So depending on the farm size 40 plants per acre will be the right proportion to maintain, further to avoid the nuisance it may cause one has to restrict its growth to 6-7 ft by keeping on cutting the above growth before pod-forming and using it for mulch. This could serve the purpose.

                                    Hon Raju sir (our 'Light-House') can guide us in this.

                                    Best Regards

                                    anant joglekar
                                    9423089706

                                    >________________________________

                                  • Daniel
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Oct 14, 2012
                                      I would like to add a few species that may fare better in our true tropical climates as opposed to Fukuoka's warm temperate to cool subtropical climate.

                                      Acacia pennata, a thorny acacia. N-fixer and can grow in both very poor and also very rich soils. Can handle occasional flooding and can grow under a long dry season. It is used as a vegetable in Thailand (Chaa-om)

                                      Acacia auriculiformis, the Darwin blackwattle. N-fixer. It is not an edible tree, but grows very fast on even very marginal soil. Can handle 8 months-dry season, thrives even after prolonged waterlogging or flooding (in my area 7 weeks of flooding with 2.5 meters of water did nothing to them). Leaf litter is persistent and effectively suppresses weeds.

                                      Leucaena leucocephala, or leadtree. Great N-fixing soil improver. Grows extremely fast, breaks up hardpan, leaf litter decomposes quickly (and thus feeds other plants effectively). Light shade means other fruit trees can be planted underneath. Young shoots can be eaten like the acacia pennata.

                                      These three trees should perform wonderfully well in India and all throughout Indochina. And they may replace Fukuoka's Morishima acacia in the hotter and drier parts of the (sub)tropics.

                                      Daniel

                                      --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, Nandan Palaparambil <p_k_nandanan@...> wrote:

                                      > Dear Anantji,
                                      >
                                      > Thanks.
                                      >
                                      > True, Fukuoka san has given lot of solutions in 'One straw revolution', and each sentence has to be read carefully.
                                      >

                                      > Regards,
                                      > Nandan
                                      >

                                      > ________________________________

                                    • Jason Stewart
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Oct 14, 2012
                                        Thanks Mr. Raju Titus again,

                                        a message from side--on as (just) one more contributor here.
                                        Yes in the broad sense Morishima Acacia (as discussed much previously) is the same as Subabul
                                        (Acacia in the broad sense of the common name,
                                        and in the sense of all members of the scientific heirarchical Fabales (order)---familes: Fabaceae & Mimosaceae. Late Fukuoka Masanobu sensei was right, before time of the genetic evidence now available from western--origin and style (globalised) biological science about plants (and animals and micro-organisms) evolution having much better description according to the terms of oriental philosophies rather than according to western hierarchical classification philosophies, for oriental philosophies' in a too--simplistic wording example, the constant flux of all things, including genes. Internationally published science ref's supplied on request).

                                        Best wishes Mr. Raju Titus and all life,

                                        Jason Stewart
                                        Bama Country (Sahul continent).

                                      • Raju Titus
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Oct 14, 2012