Natural Farming: feudalism, elite control or democracy?

  • iyo_farm
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 1, 2012
      This is a genuine question which has been on my mind.

      Agriculture for most is not a hobby or elite indulgence, it is a necessity. It is a necessity for all.

      Farming is done by farmer. Farmers live in communities and have to organize those communities to work. They have to work collectively and deal with issues that arise.

      The concept of Natural Farming goes further than just food production or business consulting. It is said to be the perfection of the self and by extension the perfection of the community and by extension the perfection of the planet.

      Actually, this is one of the Buddhist essences of Fukuoka's work.

      Therefore, how do we visualize and realize our perfect farming community?

      A feudalism ... elite control ... or a democracy in which the peasants (most of us, I guess) have a right to discuss issues that effect us and have our opinions heard and rightfully represented, free off the fear of being "outcast" as if it was some medieval village.

      Personally, I do not think such a feudalistic view is Natural Farming. Although Fukuoka was an elite, he rejected conformity, the pressures of the government and local village coops.

      This is a Western thing. I do not think it applies to India in the same way. It always amuses me when the "alternative" world turns out to be just like old world full of controls, micromanagement, bosses using workers for free or low pay and demanding conformity to their way of thinking.

      Yes, Paul. You.

      Perhaps that is more of a Permaculture way ... but it is not Natural Farming. It's not Fukuoka. It's not natural order. It's not the world I want after Big Agriculture dies.

      I don't know how it will be in India South America and so on, but in the West, we've seen this with the post-hippy, post-alternative world ... firstly, they turn out to be children of elite and act in an elite manner, then once the movement is established, the corporates come in with corporate money and push out the peasants or originals.

      Like the organic world which now the big corporates are talking over, the same corporates which they once fought it.

      You think this is all ridiculous because it is all such a small world and does not matter, but it is the future we are designing. These are the seeds of it we are planting now. I've seen it happen before in the organic food business.
    • paul wheaton
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 1, 2012
        > Yes, Paul. You.

        How fun!

        Here is a weird thing. I set up an empire with me as the evil tyrant
        emperor. And now I have more than a million people coming to my
        empire each month. They don't have to. They just do.

        Here is a fun thought: if people come to permies.com and talk about
        fukuoka, I can share that information with a lot of people. I have a
        thread about Fukuoka that has now been viewed 45,446 times!

        Isn't it weird: some people totally groove on that whole "elite
        control" thing. Whodathunk?

        --

        Sign up for my daily-ish email, or my devious plots for world
        domination: http://www.richsoil.com/email.jsp
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 1, 2012
          You know I read a study once about the greatest percentage of people being
          the most happy under a benevolent dictatorship - maybe like Bhutan.

          I am inclined to believe the study - it's one of the reasons people follow
          religion. Most people actually feel happier and safer being told what to do,
          or given freedom within tight boundaries - which is how I raise my children
          - kinda the Montessori way.

          This whole thread and how popular permies.com is seems to support that study
          too .

          So a new wonderful natural farming community might want to take that into
          consideration at the outset. Better pick the right person though hey .

          Linda