Mmmm! Mahua (_Madhuca_ _longifolia_, Sapotaceae family).

  • Jason Stewart
    Message 1 of 40 , Oct 1, 2012
      Mmmm! Mahua _Madhuca_ _longifolia_, Sapotaceae family.
      --> http://www.flowersofindia.net/risearch/search.php?query=Madhuca&stpos=0&stype=AND
      Functional oil seeds.
      Sweet "delicious and nutritive" flowers, useful when no cane sugar.
      Nature people protect it keenly, but it has apparently been under-rated by the rest of societies,
      ... etc.

      Really interesting learning,
      Thanks.
      Gee i've gotta go and eat something!

      True nature with all,

      Jason Stewart
      Bama Country at the moment, (Oz).

      On 01/10/2012, at 6:57 PM, Sumant Joshi wrote:

      > The Mahua is an all purpose tree from the western Ghats http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madhuca_longifolia
      >
      > I shall send you a list of the ficus trees I have planted/ planning to plant. The idea is to have one place for ficus of as many species as possible for botany enthusiasts
      >
      > there is one very rare type of tree called the Krishna banyan which I have not been able to get a sapling of
      >
      > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:%E0%B4%95%E0%B5%83%E0%B4%B7%E0%B5%8D%E0%B4%A3%E0%B4%A8%E0%B4%BE%E0%B5%BD_-_Ficus_krishnae,_Ficus_benghalensis_var._krishnae.jpg
      >
      > There is a local variety. It has extremely rough leaves. I have eaten it's fruits (yellow when raw and red when ripe) which are slightly sweet. People use the leaves for polishing wooden handles of their farm implements
      >
      > Sent from my BSNL landline B-fone
      >
      > Warm regards,
      >
      > Sumant Joshi
      > Tel - 09370010424, 0253-2361161

    • Sumant Joshi
      Message 40 of 40 , Oct 2, 2012
        The picture of the flower is slightly different from the one I have posted. Raju Titus says that Lantana dies in shade. Somehow it isn't so much of a pest here and yes, it is superb as a fence.