Figs (_Ficus_ spp.) eg. _Ficus_ _exasperata_, _Ficus_ _opposita_, etc.

  • Jason
    Message 1 of 40 , Oct 1, 2012
      Dear all fig eaters, incl. Sumant

      A very pleasant fig (plants) website from South Africa:
      â†' http://www.figweb.org

      _Ficus_ _exasperata_
      â†' http://www.figweb.org/Ficus/Subgenus_Sycidium/Section_Sycidium/Ficus_exasperata.htm
      â†' http://www.flowersofindia.net/catalog/slides/Brahma's%20Banyan.html
      An interesting fruit species to learn. Distribution: Africa through to India!

      â†' http://www.flowersofindia.net/risearch/search.php?query=Ficus&stpos=0&stype=AND

      Several species listed above live in Australia too. Eg. F. ~ microcarpa, hispida, benjamina, drupacea, virens, tinctoria, racemosa, etc. So we can share much knowledge about them between nature people in India and the subcontinent and Australia.

      In Australia we have what we call in Australian English sandpaper fig (_Ficus_) species.

      Here in Bama Country in the wet tropics of N E QLD _Ficus_ _opposita_ grows in the rainforest margins. Through Malesia too.
      â†' http://keys.trin.org.au/key-server/data/0e0f0504-0103-430d-8004-060d07080d04/media/Html/taxon/Ficus_opposita.htm
      Very sweet edible fruit (c. 1.5cm diam.) when fully ripe and black--red colour.

      In S E corner of Australia (in the region of Cape Howe), not more than 50 km's from my nature farm grows _Ficus_ _coronata_ in littoral & coastal rainforests. It is the southern most Ficus in Oz, and at its southernmost limit near my farm, in a very temperate climate. It occurs up east coast Oz and to N. territory.
      It also has very sweet fruit of the same black red colour when fully ripe (c. 1.5 cm diam.). It has the same useful sandpaper leaves.
      â†' http://www.rbgsyd.nsw.gov.au/education/Resources/bush_foods/Ficus_coronata
      â†' http://plantnet.rbgsyd.nsw.gov.au/cgi-bin/NSWfl.pl?page=nswfl&lvl=sp&name=Ficus~coronata

      From memory, the sandpaper leaves have silica bristle-like hairs, making them really functional for the purpose of very resolution fine sandpapering (not coarse).
      Called Sandpaper Figs because we too do actually use them like that, occasionally, if we are not too much consumerists buying everything from shops---equivalent to the very fine grade of commercial sandpaper from the hardware store which is used wet in wet sandpaper wood work.

      One more comes to mind now, it's a lovely blueberry--tasting (seriously) smaller fruit (1cm diam.) _Ficus_ species, here in wet tropics N E Oz. An excellent elder Aborigine and professional botanist in the University has taught me to eat it, amongst more fruit kinds. I forget the full name of this one, can find out. In Oz, fruits of most members of the genus are edible.

      So... at least very interesting a subject, and for future dialogue and 'fruitful' sharing!

      True nature with all,

      Jason Stewart
      Bama Country (,Oz)
    • Sumant Joshi
      Message 40 of 40 , Oct 2, 2012
        The picture of the flower is slightly different from the one I have posted. Raju Titus says that Lantana dies in shade. Somehow it isn't so much of a pest here and yes, it is superb as a fence.

        Sent from my BSNL landline B-fone

        Warm regards,

        Sumant Joshi
        Tel - 09370010424, 0253-2361161