Re: [fukuoka_farming] Seed source for rare heirloom tomatoes

  • Larry Haftl
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 24, 2002
      At Sunday, 24 November 2002, Robert Monie wrote:

      >I though I knew tomatoes, but I was wrong. Cynthia Jeffries of
      Tanager
      >Song Farm lists over 500 varieties of open-pollinated tomatoes she
      sells,
      >many of which are not on record with the Seed Savers' Exchange.

      Thanks Robert,

      As I was picking the last of this years harvest today I began to
      steel myself for the next five months of store-bought rubber balls,
      and then you come along and pull me back into tomato-lover's heaven.
      Don't know whether to laugh or cry.

      Grew some Black Russians (supposedly from Russia by way of Territorial
      Seed) this year. Incredibly prolific, sweet, low-acid, almost plum-
      like flavor, but very prone to splitting. Probably from too much
      water, I don't know. They are good enough to earn a spot on next
      year's must-grow list.

      >Cynthia Jeffries of Tanager Song Farm shows color photos of many
      of these
      >tomatoes on her web site http://www.cindymcdee.com . Just click
      on "heirloom
      >seeds," and then "tomato seeds."

      I was planning to get some work done tonight, but I can see where
      I'll be spending most of my time. Better get a roll of paper towels
      to soak up the inevitable drool.

      >Larry, I nominate Tanager Song Farm as an addition to our seed links,
      >and I know I am going to try some of these international tomatoes
      types
      >in my garden this spring (even if I can't pronounce their names).

      Your description, combined with my addiction to home-grown tomatoes
      (does it show?) is more than enough to earn a spot in the seeds links.

      Larry Haftl
      larry@...
      http://FukuokaNaturalFarming.org