Re: [fukuoka_farming] Ghaneri (Common Lantana)

  • Venkat Iyer
    Message 1 of 40 , Sep 29, 2012
      Dear sumant,
      Please be careful of Lantana. It can go out of hand for the same reasons u
      mention. Nothing eats it and nothing hurts it. They tend to take over the
      land around them and allow nothing to grow. So, please keep a vigil on
      them. Besides, they are not native plants and have mostly been brought here
      from africa.

      On Sun, Sep 30, 2012 at 9:40 AM, Sumant Joshi <sumant_jo@...> wrote:

      > **
      >

      > For those interested, I have used Ghaneri or Common Lantana as a live
      > fence along with the barbed wire fencing to prevent
      > sheep and goats from entering. The best part is, it grows wild, does not
      > need water and can be planted by inserting cuttings in wet ground. No one
      > eats it too and the flowers are quite pretty as seen here
      >

      > https://picasaweb.google.com/116059228268128336518/September30201202#5793817164001362754
      >

      > Sent from my BSNL landline B-fone
      >
      > Warm regards,
      >
      > Sumant Joshi
      > Tel - 09370010424, 0253-2361161

      Venkat Iyer
      (Mob) : 9820052606

    • Sumant Joshi
      Message 40 of 40 , Oct 2, 2012
        The picture of the flower is slightly different from the one I have posted. Raju Titus says that Lantana dies in shade. Somehow it isn't so much of a pest here and yes, it is superb as a fence.