A multilingual site...

  • Larry Haftl
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 22, 2002
      Bonjour,

      Je parle un petite peu le francais mais tres mal. Vous anglais est
      excellent. Peut-etre vous pouvoir aider moi?

      It appears we have several participants who are fluent in both English
      and French. Would any of you consider translating some or all of
      the website's pages into French? Or other languages for that matter
      (Bahassa Malayu?). As you can see, my butchering of such a beautiful
      language is not adequate for translation.

      I would be very glad to post pages in languages other than English
      (as long as they are also in English so that us language-limited
      people can read them too.) The only limitation is that I have a
      problem dealing with non-Roman alphabets/languages (Japanese, Chinese,
      Hebrew, Arabic, Greek, Russian, Sanskrit, etc.), but if necessary
      perhaps even these are a possibility.

      If any of you have the time and are willing to do this please let
      me know, off-list if you prefer.

      Larry Haftl
      larry@...
      http://larryhaftl.com/fukuoka
      http://FukuokaNaturalFarming.org
    • Xavier Dequaire
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 23, 2002
        I think it is a good idea,
        I started to translate one of Emilia's article to french, but I am affraid that
        i have been to ambitious so far.
        Emilia mentionned once she had a whole book ready to be published i french...
        would she accept to publish it on the internet?
        We definitly lack this kind of litterature in French!
        A link to Michel Dussandier's site is anyway a good start.

        In the litterature list:
        Natural farming of M. Fukuoka exist in french as is one straw revoliution, the
        reference is

        L'agriculture naturelle
        théorie et pratique pour une philosophie verte
        Masanobu Fuluoka
        Guy Trénadiel éditeur 1989
        ISBN. 2-85-707-311-9

        and at the same publisher:

        Révolution d'un seul brin de paille,
        une introduction à l'agriculture naturelle

        How to grow more vegetables ...
        by John Jeavons is also translated in French though I do not have the reference
        here and now.

        Peace

        XAvier

        Larry Haftl wrote:

        > Bonjour,
        >
        > Je parle un petite peu le francais mais tres mal. Vous anglais est
        > excellent. Peut-etre vous pouvoir aider moi?
        >
        > It appears we have several participants who are fluent in both English
        > and French. Would any of you consider translating some or all of
        > the website's pages into French? Or other languages for that matter
        > (Bahassa Malayu?). As you can see, my butchering of such a beautiful
        > language is not adequate for translation.
        >
        > I would be very glad to post pages in languages other than English
        > (as long as they are also in English so that us language-limited
        > people can read them too.) The only limitation is that I have a
        > problem dealing with non-Roman alphabets/languages (Japanese, Chinese,
        > Hebrew, Arabic, Greek, Russian, Sanskrit, etc.), but if necessary
        > perhaps even these are a possibility.
        >
        > If any of you have the time and are willing to do this please let
        > me know, off-list if you prefer.
        >
        > Larry Haftl
        > larry@...
        > http://larryhaftl.com/fukuoka
        > http://FukuokaNaturalFarming.org

        _____________________________________
        For bedre kommunikasjon og læring:
        For en bærekraftig samfunn
        XDi, X a v i e r D E Q U A I R E i n t e r a k t i v
        phone: (+47) 66 84 79 83
        CBT/Multimedia---anvendt e-learning-
        _____________________________________

        Do you wonder what your lifestyle implies for our common planet?
        Explore that at http://www.earthday.org/footprint/

        _____________________________________
        Homesite http://www.futurich.com/
        _____________________________________
      • Sean Phelan
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 4, 2002
          Folks,

          If we have enough interest to create separate language versions of the site,
          I can set up http://fukuokanaturalfarming.org to show the correct site based
          on which country you're in.

          Larry, if you're interested in this, put the french site and english site in
          separate directories.

          Sp
          Sean Phelan
          Sequoia Consulting - Internet solutions that make sense... Solutions that
          work.
          http://www.sqcn.com
          mailto:SPhelan@...
          http://www.TheSCIA.Org - Proud Member of the Space Coast Internet Alliance
          (321) 984-0211
        • Larry Haftl
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 4, 2002
            At Wednesday, 4 December 2002, Sean Phelan wrote:

            >Folks,
            >
            >If we have enough interest to create separate language versions
            of the site,
            >I can set up http://fukuokanaturalfarming.org to show the correct
            site based
            >on which country you're in.

            There is definitely a lot of interest in making the site as multilingual
            as possible. One of the problems is the logistics and time it takes
            to translate documents, edit and then post them. The ability of Google
            to translate, however crudely, into various languages kept nagging
            at me until I finally tracked done and figured out how to use it
            in the site. Right now there are six flags (very small at the moment
            and could be bigger if it is worth doing). Click on one of the flags
            and the entire site gets translated as you browse through it. The
            only problem with this is that I suspect the translations are poor
            at best, so I have to rely on native Dutch, French, German, Italian,
            Portuguese, and Spanish speakers to tell me if it is close enough
            to use it. If not, then we are back to the page by page, document
            by document translation and then I'll structure it so it mirrors
            easily.

            Thanks again for your help with getting the mirror site up. If my
            worksite is getting 3,000 hits a day I wonder how many the mirror
            site is getting.

            Larry Haftl
            larry@...
            http://larryhaftl.com
            http://FukuokaNaturalFarming.org
          • Michael Worham
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 5, 2002
              Dear Larry,
              Have just visited the website's French version, and it
              seems very reasonable to me. Would it be possible to
              correct sections of the given text if need be, instead
              of translating the whole thing? I think the flags look
              great as they are - certainly large enough. I'm in the
              process of going over the text and noting any errors,
              and giving the web address to my French speaking
              contacts. Lets hope the visitor numbers keep climbing!
              All in all it's looking excellent - fantastic job.
              Cheers
              Mick

              http://mailplus.yahoo.com
            • Larry Haftl
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 5, 2002
                Hi Mick,

                >Have just visited the website's French version, and it
                >seems very reasonable to me. Would it be possible to
                >correct sections of the given text if need be, instead
                >of translating the whole thing? I think the flags look
                >great as they are - certainly large enough. I'm in the
                >process of going over the text and noting any errors,
                >and giving the web address to my French speaking
                >contacts.

                It's not possible to insert sections into a page that is translated
                on-line by Google (what it is currently doing), BUT... I CAN create
                a separate section for a language containing pages that were previously
                translated by Google, saved and modified/edited to clean up the translation
                (what Sean Phelan was talking about). If we can get all of the pages
                with corrected translations for a language then those pages become
                a permanent part of the website. When you click on the flag for that
                language you would not go through Google's on-line translation, you
                would go to the separate section that already had the translated
                and corrected pages stored in it. Everything would look the same,
                and for those languages we don't have corrected pages for it would
                still do the Google on-line translation.

                I hope that explanation is not confusing. It's basically webmaster
                sleight-of-hand combined with the work of translators to clean up
                the Google translations. The only problem with this is that we need
                to get all of the pages translated and edited before I can switch
                the flag from on-line translation to redirection to that language's
                section. Future pages would get Googleized and posted and need to
                be cleaned up as well. Until they were they would have the same quality
                of translation that Google provides.

                Your help, and that of others, to get the translations cleaned up
                would be absolutely essential and much appreciated.

                What excites me about this is that when we set out to do this website
                it was for the intention of making information about Fukuoka and
                his methods and principles more accessible. With these translations
                a whole lot of barriers to that get broken down.

                Right now Google is limited to translating English into French, German,
                Italian, Portuguese, and Spanish. That still leaves a lot of people
                and languages out in the cold, but at least it is a start.

                Thanks for taking the time to review this and try to clean it up.
                I really appreciate it.

                >Lets hope the visitor numbers keep climbing!

                The number of people visiting doesn't surprise me as much as how
                quickly the site got listed in the major search engines. Now we need
                to get other sites to link to it as well.

                To all of you, the more you encourage other websites to link to the
                Fukuoka site, the more accessible it will become to people, and the
                more participants/minds/information about this that will become available.

                Larry Haftl
                larry@...
                http://larryhaftl.com
                http://FukuokaNaturalFarming.org
              • corfuku
                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 5, 2002
                  hi larry

                  i've had a quick look at the italian and spanish google translations
                  of the site. and i think it's ok. definitely better than nothing. as
                  mick said, it would be good if sections could be corrected. the google
                  translation is not perfect (especially when the language gets a little
                  more complex... and then you get some funny abstractions!), but
                  personally it would help me greatly in my own translating work of the
                  site. it's a good base to start from. so, if you can, leave the google
                  there as it is and as soon as each of us corrects something you can,
                  if possible, substitute the better version ... and then at some point
                  in the future we'll get a totally google-free multilingual site.
                  let us know.

                  pavle