Cover crop options

  • Nandan
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 15, 2012
      Hi all,

      I have a habit of looking for suitable cover crops in and around my farm. As part of this I can see Subabul which gets easily established in the farm. Underneath each grown up tree, there are hundreds of saplings..It looks to be a good option since they can be easily established in the coconut/banana area of my farm, but one worry is that since it is a tree, if it will interfere with other plantings, other operations. Any inputs?

      Also I am looking for cover crop options for rice..I have been trying horse gram which interferes with rice at the initial stages..horse gram grows fast..Fukuoka san used to flood the field at this stage to weaken the clover, but that kind of water control is not available with me.

      I have found two plants in the farm...one has oval shaped leaves..but no three leaves in one branch, but has nodules on the root, so I wanted to confirm if it is leguminous..any one can identify?

      Another one has three leaves in one branch, and has root nodules..see if anyone can identify them..

      See the photos

      https://picasaweb.google.com/106465841699875745732/CoverCropsOptions

      Regards,
      Nandan
    • G. G. Hegde
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 16, 2012
        Nandan, i get Sorry, that page was not found. error, you may want to share
        the albumm

        regards,
        gg

        On Wednesday, August 15, 2012, Nandan wrote:

        > **
        >

        > Hi all,
        >
        > I have a habit of looking for suitable cover crops in and around my farm.
        > As part of this I can see Subabul which gets easily established in the
        > farm. Underneath each grown up tree, there are hundreds of saplings..It
        > looks to be a good option since they can be easily established in the
        > coconut/banana area of my farm, but one worry is that since it is a tree,
        > if it will interfere with other plantings, other operations. Any inputs?
        >
        > Also I am looking for cover crop options for rice..I have been trying
        > horse gram which interferes with rice at the initial stages..horse gram
        > grows fast..Fukuoka san used to flood the field at this stage to weaken the
        > clover, but that kind of water control is not available with me.
        >
        > I have found two plants in the farm...one has oval shaped leaves..but no
        > three leaves in one branch, but has nodules on the root, so I wanted to
        > confirm if it is leguminous..any one can identify?
        >
        > Another one has three leaves in one branch, and has root nodules..see if
        > anyone can identify them..
        >
        > See the photos
        >
        > https://picasaweb.google.com/106465841699875745732/CoverCropsOptions
        >
        > Regards,
        > Nandan

      • Daniel Camolês
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 16, 2012
          I'm not sure, but the second one in the pictures seems to be Bur clover. does it have yellow little flowers? I'm pretty convinced it is a leguminous.
          --
          E-mail enviado do meu celular Android usando K-9 Mail. Por favor, desculpe minha brevidade.

          Nandan <p_k_nandanan@...> escreveu:

[...]

        • Nandan Palaparambil
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 16, 2012
            Hegde,

            Thanks for pointing this out, shared for public

            Regards,
            Nandan

            ________________________________
            Nandan, i get  Sorry, that page was not found. error, you may want to share
            the albumm

            regards,
            gg

            On Wednesday, August 15, 2012, Nandan wrote:

            > **
            >

            > Hi all,
            >
            > I have a habit of looking for suitable cover crops in and around my farm.
            > As part of this I can see Subabul which gets easily established in the
            > farm. Underneath each grown up tree, there are hundreds of saplings..It
            > looks to be a good option since they can be easily established in the
            > coconut/banana area of my farm, but one worry is that since it is a tree,
            > if it will interfere with other plantings, other operations. Any inputs?
            >
            > Also I am looking for cover crop options for rice..I have been trying
            > horse gram which interferes with rice at the initial stages..horse gram
            > grows fast..Fukuoka san used to flood the field at this stage to weaken the
            > clover, but that kind of water control is not available with me.
            >
            > I have found two plants in the farm...one has oval shaped leaves..but no
            > three leaves in one branch, but has nodules on the root, so I wanted to
            > confirm if it is leguminous..any one can identify?
            >
            > Another one has three leaves in one branch, and has root nodules..see if
            > anyone can identify them..
            >
            > See the photos
            >
            > https://picasaweb.google.com/106465841699875745732/CoverCropsOptions
            >
            > Regards,
            > Nandan

          • Nandan Palaparambil
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 16, 2012
              I have added captions now to distinguish between varieties..

              Variety 1 - oval shaped leaves, but no three leaves, root nodules seen, flower has some similarity with clover. This is spread in some parts of my farm

              Variety 2 - three leaves, root nodules seen, no flowers yet

              Variety 3 - Variety 2 and 3 looks similar, but Variety 3 is very small, no flowers yet, root nodules seen

              Just checked with Bur clover pictures, but from stem/leaves colour it didn't look like...

              Regards,
              Nandan

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 17, 2012
                Hi Nandan:
                It looks to me that your plant number 2 is Silver leaf Desmodium a legume that I have here on my place, it is native of South America, also know as Velcro Vine, the plant is very hairy & will stick to your cloths or animals coats, also the seed is the same once dry. It's a very wild vine type plant that can't stand heavy grazing or cutting, but would be good to improve the soil, if grown in other areas & cut & used as mulch. You better ask Raju how he uses Subabul, I would think that would have to be grown in another area also & cut & used for mulch or fed to animals & the manure used as mulch. I don't know any of the other plants in your pictures, but they look very similar to native ground covers that grow all over the land here in my place...regards...Norm Australia.

                http://www.pasturepicker.com.au/Html/Silverleaf_desmodium.htm

                --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "Nandan" <p_k_nandanan@...> wrote:

                > Hi all,
                >
                > I have a habit of looking for suitable cover crops in and around my farm. As part of this I can see Subabul which gets easily established in the farm. Underneath each grown up tree, there are hundreds of saplings..It looks to be a good option since they can be easily established in the coconut/banana area of my farm, but one worry is that since it is a tree, if it will interfere with other plantings, other operations. Any inputs?
                >
                > Also I am looking for cover crop options for rice..I have been trying horse gram which interferes with rice at the initial stages..horse gram grows fast..Fukuoka san used to flood the field at this stage to weaken the clover, but that kind of water control is not available with me.
                >
                > I have found two plants in the farm...one has oval shaped leaves..but no three leaves in one branch, but has nodules on the root, so I wanted to confirm if it is leguminous..any one can identify?
                >
                > Another one has three leaves in one branch, and has root nodules..see if anyone can identify them..
                >
                > See the photos
                >
                > https://picasaweb.google.com/106465841699875745732/CoverCropsOptions
                >

                > Regards,
                > Nandan

              • Nandan Palaparambil
                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 18, 2012
                  Thanks Norm. The look and feel is like the Silver leaf Desmodium, but will wait to see the seeds from this, to confirm it.

                  All these legumes, even though small and spreads on the ground, establishes in some areas and if they completely occupy the space then I can use them as cover crop for rice. But I am not able to see the seeds so far, but they grow well when a plant is uprooted and put in the soil. But managing it at this level is difficult.

                  Yes, Raju sir uses Subabul, but he is able to find a market for selling it for fire wood which I don't have, even if it has, it is not attractive. We had a similar discussion about Subabul in 2008, just saw that !!!

                  One person suggested Azolla also for ground cover, but it needs more water, otherwise that is also an excellent choice

                  Regards,
                  Nandan

                  ________________________________
                  It looks to me that your plant number 2 is Silver leaf Desmodium a legume that I have here on my place, it is native of South America, also know as Velcro Vine, the plant is very hairy & will stick to your cloths or animals coats, also the seed is the same once dry. It's a very wild vine type plant that can't stand heavy grazing or cutting, but would be good to improve the soil, if grown in other areas & cut & used as mulch. You better ask Raju how he uses Subabul, I would think that would have to be grown in another area also & cut & used for mulch or fed to animals & the manure used as mulch. I don't know any of the other plants in your pictures, but they look very similar to native ground covers that grow all over the land here in my place...regards...Norm Australia.

                  http://www.pasturepicker.com.au/Html/Silverleaf_desmodium.htm

                  --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "Nandan" <p_k_nandanan@...> wrote:

                  > Hi all,
                  >
                  > I have a habit of looking for suitable cover crops in and around my farm. As part of this I can see Subabul which gets easily established in the farm. Underneath each grown up tree, there are hundreds of saplings..It looks to be a good option since they can be easily established in the coconut/banana area of my farm, but one worry is that since it is a tree, if it will interfere with other plantings, other operations. Any inputs?
                  >
                  > Also I am looking for cover crop options for rice..I have been trying horse gram which interferes with rice at the initial stages..horse gram grows fast..Fukuoka san used to flood the field at this stage to weaken the clover, but that kind of water control is not available with me.
                  >
                  > I have found two plants in the farm...one has oval shaped leaves..but no three leaves in one branch, but has nodules on the root, so I wanted to confirm if it is leguminous..any one can identify?
                  >
                  > Another one has three leaves in one branch, and has root nodules..see if anyone can identify them..
                  >
                  > See the photos
                  >
                  > https://picasaweb.google.com/106465841699875745732/CoverCropsOptions
                  >

                  > Regards,
                  > Nandan

                • Nandan
                  Message 8 of 11 , May 16, 2013
                    Hi All,

                    This is a mail which was started some time back to identify some legumes which I could see around. Later I could identify one of it as Alyce clover, Picture 11. I can see this coming on some area of the farm on its own.

                    Meanwhile found another legume on the roadsides, which I have put as picture 2 and 3. Please let me know if anyone can identify this legume. This looks to be a creeper type, but it does not aggressively creep along other plants. Also its seed is very similar to Alyce clover, so it may be another clover variety. There is a similar variety throughout the farm but it climbs on all other plants.

                    --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, Nandan Palaparambil <p_k_nandanan@...> wrote:

                    > Thanks Norm. The look and feel is like the Silver leaf Desmodium, but will wait to see the seeds from this, to confirm it.
                    >
                    > All these legumes, even though small and spreads on the ground, establishes in some areas and if they completely occupy the space then I can use them as cover crop for rice. But I am not able to see the seeds so far, but they grow well when a plant is uprooted and put in the soil. But managing it at this level is difficult.
                    >
                    > Yes, Raju sir uses Subabul, but he is able to find a market for selling it for fire wood which I don't have, even if it has, it is not attractive. We had a similar discussion about Subabul in 2008, just saw that !!!
                    >
                    > One person suggested Azolla also for ground cover, but it needs more water, otherwise that is also an excellent choice
                    >
                    > Regards,
                    > Nandan
                    >

                    > ________________________________

                  • Nandan Palaparambil
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jun 13, 2013
                      Hi,
                      Finally could get the legume identified as desmodium scorpiurus, http://www.saintlucianplants.com/floweringplants/fabaceae/desmscor/desmscor.html

                      This looks to be promising, I can see this established in some areas on the road sides. They don't agressively creep on other plants and so far haven't seen them beyond 1 feet height. Collected some plants from road side and now planning to plant in the rice field to see if they can establish as a permanent cover crop.
                      Regards,Nandan

                      Message 10 of 11 , Jun 14, 2013
                        All three leaf plants known as clover if this is invasive can be used
                        as ground cover crop.
                        Thanks
                        Raju

                        rajuktitus@.... +919179738049.
                        http://picasaweb.google.com/rajuktitus
                      • Nandan Palaparambil
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jun 14, 2013
                          Hope that rice grows well under the leguminous cover crop. Also controlling cover crop at critical times is another challenge, like Fukuoka san used the flooding method.
                          Regards,Nandan