Fukuoka memorial

  • iyo.farm@ymail.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 10, 2012
      I think it is notable that there is no such thing as a Fukuoka memorial and I wanted to canvas people as to what their opinion of this is.

      Do you think it would be a good thing to have some kind of Fukuoka memorial and would you contribute to it if one was proposed?

      I do not understand the full dynamics of why, but I can tell you he is generally not well received or remembered in his local area. Quite the opposite. One might argue, "a prophet is never accepted in his hometown", and this seems to be true of Ehime. Such an idea will certainly not arise from there. There is another dynamic, that is the one between who Fukuoka was for the world, and who Fukuoka was for his family. And so I do not think one will arise from there either.

      But many people all over the world have been inspired by him and might be grateful towards him, should this be expressed in someway?

      My answer is, yes, and I would like to help enable it.
    • Jean Justimbaste
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 10, 2012
        This is a good idea, iyo.farm.  I agree - and maybe an award body in his name for people who excel in the field of a Fukuoka method of natural farming.

        jean
        http://www.ammado.com/nonprofit/46130
        http://ormocwomen.blogspot.com/
        http://evyouth.blogspot.com/
        http://www.tcformoc.com/
        http://pagtinabangayfoundation.blogspot.com/

        visit my blogs and leave your comments.

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 11, 2012
          It is a good idea but if he is not respected in his local area then where would be a ‘space’ for a memorial? Would locals possibly be more responsive to a memorial if they could see it bringing tourists & income to their area?

          Perhaps the award would be more far reaching in its message and meaning? Although who would administer/judge that?

          Linda

          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 11, 2012
            --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "Linda Shewan" <linda_shewan@...> wrote:

            >Would locals possibly be more responsive to a memorial if they could see it bringing tourists & income to their area?

            Yes, I am sure they would and it might surprise them how much interest and respect there was for him and his ideas. It would take gaiatsu (outside pressure) to show them. Ehime/Iyo is a notoriously conservative area.

            The problem then might be the issue of "ownership" and the family. Who "owns" Fukuoka's legacy, the family or the world?

            On one level, the family does but, on the other they don't as they do not follow it entirely ... cannot perhaps. I think Fukuoka's legacy is far bigger than just them, perhaps even bigger than their vision of what it is ... certainly bigger that the petty problems with neighbors and the local JA/MAFF (ministry of agriculture/farmer association) which, in my opinion, are holding such a thing idea back at present. In Japan, it is often such hard work to try and get something new started what with all the negotiations of everything from laws to everyone's egos.

            However, I don't know all that involved, which is why I was interested in asking what others thought of the idea and for feedback. Who is there out there who might support such an idea?

            Personally, I think it might be more immediately beneficial to promote a wider spectrum of organic and natural approaches/products/materials ... to promote wider discussions around preserving nature and the environment.

            One has to remember how far ahead of his time and how idealistic Fukuoka's vision was but also that it was a reflection of his time and that there are other demands and other solutions required now in this time. Not everyone is ready to aspire to his vision, not everyone has the circumstances and resources to do so ... but to keep the discussion alive, to inspire and centralize research into the area, to support examples etc would all be very worthy.

            My feeling it that it would also be good to have somewhere to which stored knowledge of traditional rural activities for when the big crash starts.
          • iyo.farm@ymail.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 11, 2012

              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 11, 2012
                --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "Linda Shewan" <linda_shewan@...> wrote:

                >Would locals possibly be more responsive to a memorial if they could see it bringing tourists & income to their area?

                Yes, I am sure they would and it might surprise them how much interest and respect there was for him and his ideas. It would take gaiatsu (outside pressure) to show them. Ehime/Iyo is a notoriously conservative area.

                The problem then might be the issue of "ownership" and the family. Who "owns" Fukuoka's legacy, the family or the world?

                On one level, the family does but, on the other they don't as they do not follow it entirely ... cannot perhaps. I think Fukuoka's legacy is far bigger than just them, perhaps even bigger than their vision of what it is ... certainly bigger that the petty problems with neighbors and the local JA/MAFF (ministry of agriculture/farmer association) of the past. In Japan, it is often such hard work to try and get something new started what with all the negotiations of everything from laws to everyone's egos.

                However, I don't know the whole story, which is why I was interested in asking what others thought of the idea and for feedback. Who is there out there who might support such an idea?

                Personally, I think it might be more immediately beneficial to promote a wider spectrum of organic and natural approaches/products/materials ... to promote wider discussions around preserving nature and the environment.

                A conference ... has there been an international Fukuoka/natural farming conference/get together?

                One has to remember how far ahead of his time and how idealistic Fukuoka's vision was but also that it was a reflection of his time, and that there are other demands and other solutions required now in this time. Not everyone is ready to aspire to his vision, not everyone has the circumstances and resources to do so ... but to keep the discussion alive, to inspire and centralize research into the area, to support examples etc would all be very worthy.

                My feeling it that it would also be good to have somewhere to which stored knowledge of traditional rural activities for when big economic or energy crashes start.

                (This is a re-post as the first attempt did not come through. Apologies if you get two).