what is the natural shape of a lemon tree?

  • Marcos G.
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 8, 2012
      Hi

      I was reading Natural way of farming (in spanish) and there are nice pictures of mandarin orange tree
      and it's natural shapes. But there is no picture of lemon tree and natural shape, neither i found
      nothing on the web

      Can you help me with this?

      Thanks in advance

      --
      Marcos Guglielmetti
    • Daniel
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 9, 2012
        Try and look for pictures of "wild lemon tree" in google or any other search engine.

        There are a few pictures there. It seems that when young the trees are very shrubby without a clear central leader. Later the tree seems to make a small umbrella like crown, although they may have been trained that way by pruning.

        I noticed that of primary importance for the strength and health of fruit trees is to use seedlings. Pruning of seedlings is less problematic than using grafted trees (because then you are forced to prune over and over and over).

        The fruit of seedling trees are less prone to rot, have thicker skin, are more acidic (= more vit. C). Drawback is that seedling trees do not often grow true to the mother tree (especially so with lemons), but the horror stories that you may get seedling trees that do not fruit are also not true.

        Daniel