navel organge

  • Marcos G.
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 7, 2012
      Hi

      yesterday I was reading a chapter of Natural Way of Farming (in spanish version) about fruit trees,
      pruning and natural shape.

      We have a navel orange tree in the backyard, I dont know if it was pruned, maybe it's 5 or 6 years
      old, I suspect it was pruned because I dont see the natural shape I believe it should have.

      It has several problems: crusts in orange fruits have created perhaps by mites (which deform a little
      oranges. May be edible anyway), I also see white spots under the leaves, and leaves that are or were
      in the shade are black, a black powder: I think that was not caused by scale insects of the ants,
      but for environmental dust, and of course as the light wind, and rain do not enter there, have not
      been cleaned. If I caress the black powder with my fingers, it just clean up.
      Also, it had dried some branches, in the shade.
      Today I decided to prune the orange tree and give a more clear and natural shape, but I need advice
      from here, to see if it needed more drastic pruning or not to get its natural shape.

      So, filmed a video and I want to ask you what do you think about it.

      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REMk_WPAE5E

      Regards