Re: [fukuoka_farming] Re: help me grow cover crop

  • Boovarahan Srinivasan
    Message 1 of 58 , Jul 21, 2012
      My farm receives water in the north east monsoon ( October / November ) and
      water gets stagnated for a couple of weeks.
      This time I tried to raise paddy in summer when there is no rain. I used my
      diesel pump set to wet the field and scattered the rice seeds. The weeds
      were thick and small bush like and most of the rice seeds did not touch the
      soil and died in the scorching sun. Had I used seed balls this might have
      been avoided.

      This time I am planning to use a portion of my farm to practice no-till
      farming.
      All experienced people are of the view that no till farming is not feasible
      due to the different soil and climatic conditions of India than that of
      Japan. Yet I don't know how Raju sir has conquered. May be we are missing
      something.

      This time I plan to scour just the top soil with a sharp tool like garden
      rake and place germinated rice seeds in the furrows and fill this by
      leveling the ridges . And I plan to cover that portion with cut sugarcane
      leaves.
      Hope this method works out fine.

      Message 58 of 58 , Oct 7, 2012
        Thanks, That is wealth of information.