Rice germionation

  • Boovarahan Srinivasan
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 17, 2012
      Hi !

      I was about to board my train when I chanced upon this :

      https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-MMFYonVlZ64/UAV5_6IENWI/AAAAAAAAAcU/POyzSSsqZoA/s128/170712-0845.jpg

      The left over paddy while unloading from rail wagons have germinated when
      the conditions are ripe: - No tilling / land preparation . But this doesn't
      work in farms. why ?
      --
      Boovarahan S
      Chennai.

    • Kumar Swamy
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 17, 2012
        Dear Boovarahan,
        Very basic reason is farm soil has abused lot by chemicals and earth work.
        And no organic material is left in the soil. In total soil is not in
        condition to create healthy climate for rice to grow naturally. It will
        take time for soil to restore its natural condition but we must not
        interfere for few month/years. Restore time is depends on current soil
        condition.
        No doubt it will work. Just allow soil to restore naturally. Wait patiently
        over a period.You will enjoy the result.

        Regards,
        Swamy

        On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 8:17 PM, Boovarahan Srinivasan <offtown@...>wrote:

        > **
        >

        > Hi !
        >
        > I was about to board my train when I chanced upon this :
        >

        > https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-MMFYonVlZ64/UAV5_6IENWI/AAAAAAAAAcU/POyzSSsqZoA/s128/170712-0845.jpg
        >
        > The left over paddy while unloading from rail wagons have germinated when
        > the conditions are ripe: - No tilling / land preparation . But this doesn't
        > work in farms. why ?
        > --
        > Boovarahan S
        > Chennai.
        > 09962662717 (Vodafone) , 08825889492 (Videocon)

        Thanks and Regards,
        Kumaraswamy

      • Nandan Palaparambil
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 18, 2012
          In my opinion we can not make conclusions that easily..It may be of one of cases? There may be left over paddy put in many places, and we notice only the germinated ones. Fertility of soil will be a factor for germination....

          Kumar swamy - Nice to hear from you after a period. How is your no-till experiments going on?

          Regards,

          Nandan