Re: [fukuoka_farming] seed storage

  • Nandan Palaparambil
    Message 1 of 21 , Jul 6, 2012
      I also couldn't succeed with paddy in no-till method. In my case, soil fertility has to improve a lot for this and growing many cycles of legumes also may be required. So blaming Fukuoka san's method doesn't help, he has shown it working for many years seasons after seasons.

      We may have to religiously follow some of the points he mention..no-till, mulch, sow the seeds when one crop is in the harvest stage so that seeds get a head start before the weeds, mix legume with grains etc..One more important thing is the type of seed which we use, it should be locally adapted seed which grow tall and can compete with grass well.

      This season I tilled the land and trying out 3 varieties of traditional seeds and one high yielding variety. I have collected one more traditional variety which can grow upto 5-6 feet tall with a duration of 6 months...

      Hopefully in the next season I will try no-till farming with millets - pearl millet, sorghum etc..

      Regards,

      Nandan

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 21 , Jul 7, 2012
        The farms are no longer "living" due to continuous and indiscriminate usage
        of chemicals and pesticides in the past as also due to exposure to sun and
        mono cropping. The bad effects of all these have to be reversed and to
        achieve this we have to necessarily use cow dung and cow's urine along with
        thick mulching . One way of providing good mulch cover is to grow green
        peas along with the main grain.

        The native rice varieties are very robust but the quantum of output is
        always less . But the quality compensates more than the fall in output.
        This time one of our group members Sri Narasimhan has kindly consented to
        give me seeds of native rice variety "Ghandhakasali" which is native to
        Kerala . He speaks so high of this variety that once you taste it, you will
        not like any other rice variety. But the output is less , around 15 bags (
        900 kgs.) per acre while people expect 10 bags per 100 cents of land. I am
        going to try this variety this year as I cultivate for my own use and not
        for profit.

        Message 3 of 21 , Jul 7, 2012
          One of the greatest organic farming exponents Sri Nammlwar has suggested a
          method wherein wet seeds are mixed with soil and sieved through a wire mesh
          , just like we sieve river sand for building / construction work . The wet
          seeds are then dried and kept in stock. One Mr Shankar from Tirunelveli has
          suggested me this method when I narrated him of my failure with direct
          scattering of rice seeds.
          But I have not tested it.

          <p_k_nandanan@...>wrote:

          > **
          >

          > Mixing wet seed with sieved soil looks to be a good method, if it is
          > enough so that birds does not pick up.
          >
          > Regards,
          >
          > Nandan
          > Boovarahan S

          Chennai.
          09962662717 (Vodafone) , 08825889492 (Videocon)

        • Venkat Iyer
          Message 4 of 21 , Jul 7, 2012
            Dear Ruthie,
            It took Fukuoka san years to master the art of growing rice without
            tilling. I only tried for 2 years and the results were pathetically
            low, which is what I meant by 'failed'. I will have to keep on trying
            to get the right combination which works for our climate and land to
            get some yield of rice. It is hard work and needs a lot of patience.
            Unfortunately I lack both.
            Also, I am dependent on the land for my living and do not have any
            other source of income. I need rice for myself and hence opted for a
            method which suits my area and work conditions. This method involves
            tilling the land so I do it.
            I still dream of growing rice without tilling one day in the future
            and hope to do it.

            Venkat Iyer
            (Mob) : 9820052606
          • Nandan Palaparambil
            Message 5 of 21 , Jul 7, 2012
              Thanks for sharing this info. If we can make it work, nothing like this. Lot of people are not able to make large scale seed balls since the current methods are time consuming.

              Regards,
              Nandan

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 21 , Jul 7, 2012
                This method , if successful , may solve one problem of being eaten by birds
                but still one more obstacle is there . What to do if the scattered seeds
                are blocked by weeds from touching the wet soil ? If the germinated seeds
                don't touch the wet soil , they will be burnt in the scorching sun of south
                india. There should be some method to overcome this . One method is to over
                saturate the field with more quantity of rice seeds as done by Krishna of
                solitude farm.

                Yet all these are to be tried and tested , which requires continued
                presence.

                On Sat, Jul 7, 2012 at 6:07 PM, Nandan Palaparambil
                <p_k_nandanan@...>wrote:

                > **
                >

                > Thanks for sharing this info. If we can make it work, nothing like this.
                > Lot of people are not able to make large scale seed balls since the current
                > methods are time consuming.
                >

                > Regards,
                > Nandan
                >

                > Boovarahan S

                Chennai.
                09962662717 (Vodafone) , 08825889492 (Videocon)

              • G. G. Hegde
                Message 7 of 21 , Jul 7, 2012
                  Boovarahan,

                  Could you explain this in step by step method. I am not able
                  to visualize how to do it. I would like to try it for my cover crop.

                  I tried to dip the seeds in thick slurry of clay (mud from my farm pond), i
                  do not think i am successful. I did not know how to dry the seeds, it was
                  all sticking together.

                  regards,
                  gg

                  Message 8 of 21 , Jul 7, 2012
                    Fukuoka san's happy hill rice yielded well, don't remember the figures, but it is around 3 tons per acre.

                    Some articles about high yielding traditional varieties...http://www.downtoearth.org.in/content/saving-rice - Boregowda harvests 2.7-3 tons per acre using traditional varieties.

                    http://www.ecowalkthetalk.com/blog/2010/10/21/prakash-singh-raghuvanshi-one-farmers-crusade-to-save-indigenous-seeds-2/ - In this it reports, Prakash singh raghuvamshi harvests 2.5-3 tons per acre. These are not HYVs, rather seeds grown through selection process.

                    Regards,

                    Nandan

                    ________________________________

                    Message 9 of 21 , Jul 7, 2012
                      Don't make the soil wet . Just make the seeds wet . Take dry soil ( sieved
                      and powdered - to avoid clumps ) slightly more in volume than that of seeds
                      ( around twice the volume of seeds should work ) . The soil should be
                      highly clayey so as to stick with wet seeds . Mix thoroughly the wet seeds
                      and dry soil in a pan so that the seeds are coated with clayey soil . (
                      Simply take out the seeds from water / Bijamrutha and mix with soil ). Then
                      use a mesh screen which we use to sieve sand for plastering work to sieve
                      the seed soil mixture. The dry soil comes out through the mesh while the
                      coated seeds stay behind .

                      I have not tested this method but it is worth giving a try.

                      On Sat, Jul 7, 2012 at 10:04 PM, G. G. Hegde <gghegde@...> wrote:

                      > Boovarahan,
                      >
                      > Could you explain this in step by step method. I am not able
                      > to visualize how to do it. I would like to try it for my cover crop.
                      >
                      > I tried to dip the seeds in thick slurry of clay (mud from my farm pond), i
                      > do not think i am successful. I did not know how to dry the seeds, it was
                      > all sticking together.
                      >
                      > regards,
                      > gg
                      >

                      > Boovarahan S

                      Chennai.
                      09962662717 (Vodafone) , 08825889492 (Videocon)

                    • Ruthie Aquino
                      Message 10 of 21 , Jul 7, 2012
                        Thank you Venkat for your reply.
                        Even before I start rice farming I am discouraged already hahaha.
                        Anyway as I related earlier my first attempts at no-till no-watering
                        tomatoes, cucumber, and peppers has not been negative. In fact seen the
                        state of abandon of the vegetable patch it is already a good thing to
                        harvest anything. And it is only my first season. Some carrots have
                        sprouted but the soil is so hard and dry that I cannot harvest them. If
                        they had been planted in neat rows maybe I could have used a fork but they
                        are intermingled with other stuff like radishes and there are some salads
                        coming up but since I do not recognize them I dare not pick them for fear
                        of poisoning.
                        I'm sure those fears do not exist for you because you recognize all your
                        salads as I presume.
                        It is already amazing that being a full-time farmer you still find the time
                        to post here.
                        More power to you.
                        RUTHIE

                      • Sumant Joshi
                        Message 11 of 21 , Jul 8, 2012
                          I think you need to use cow dung somewhere so that insects do not get at the seeds

                          Sent from my BSNL landline B-fone

                          Warm regards,

                          Sumant Joshi
                          Tel - 09370010424, 0253-2361161

                          Message 12 of 21 , Jul 8, 2012
                            there are a few videos on the subject on youtube. there are other methods also

                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQuJSFAJrSA%c2%a0