Re: [fukuoka_farming] Sowing Seeds in the Desert

  • Jason Stewart
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 6, 2012
      [Trying one last time with the very tiresome Yahoo! groups message system.

      Hopefully this arrives looking like the formatting it looks like for me in my text editor.

      i give up on Yahoo! if this doesn't conveying the meanings i intend it to with the formatting and content.]

      [I'm so tired of Yahoo! groups 'stuffing up' the perfectly good formatting of my text with its terrible issues with technical text encodings -- sent again through a different interface:]

      Everyone,

      Just the facts:

      *__1992 (Japanese)
      ___わら一本の革命・総括編「神と自然と人の革命」
      ___(wara ippon no kakumei・sōkatsuhen「kami to shizen to hito no kakumei」
      ___[The One Straw Revolution Recapitulation "Universal God's/Spirit's and Spontaneity's/Natural/Nature's and Humanity's Revolution"]);
      ___Self-published by Shizen Juen (Shou Shin Sha) (自然樹園 (小心舎), One of Fukuoka Masanobu's own self-publishing-publisher-names) in 1992 Dec.
      ___230p 26×27cm, out of print ISBN 978-4-938743-01-7.

      *_____1996 (English) translation
      ______The Ultimatium [sic] of God Nature - The One-Straw Revolution - A Recapitulation
      ______– he, himself, commissioned English-retranslation and printing in an extremely limited edition, less than 100 copies, no ISBN;
      ______Printed by the author in Japan, hence thepublisher name is, quoting: "S h o u S h i n S h a (小心舎)".

      *________2012 (English) completely edited version of the above 1996 English–in–Japan translation:
      _________Sowing Seeds in the Desert
      _________– editor: Larry Korn, with a team, with publishers Chelsea Green, USA, May 2012.
      _________The publication details on the inside cover page obscure the full origin of the book as
      _________Larry Korn's complete editing of the above 1996 original English–in–Japan translation book.
      _________Clarifying what Sowing Seeds in the Desert's inside cover page has written about it,
      _________it, the 1996 English translation original, was printed in Japan in English, by late Fukuoka Masanobu himself, as written above
      _________—translating the 1992 Japanese original book, but excluding all of that Japanese book's illustrations and photographs.
      _________Therefore more clearly it, Sowing Seeds in the Desert, would have written on the inside cover page that it,
      _________the 1996 English–in–Japan original translation, is a Japanese English book.

      Where the publisher has written on that back cover of the book and in their media that this is late Fukuoka Masanobu sensei's "last published work" or "last major published work" that is factually absolutely false, apparently just marketing hype -- when we in Australia compare ourselves to the USA, we so commonly have the stereotype of the USA as suffering from far more hype in consumer marketing and media than even the vulgar level of hype already here in Australia.

      The title page relevant part of "Sowing Seeds in the Desert" should read something like this:

      Based on the Japanese original 1992 book わら一本の革命・総括編「神と自然と人の革命」 (wara ippon no kakumei・sōkatsuhen「kami to shizen to hito no kakumei」. Originally translated to English in 1996 by Fukuoka Masanobu's translator as "The Ultimatum of God Nature - The One Straw Revolution - A Recapitulation", printed by Shou Shin Sha (Fukuoka Masanobu), Japan. Adapted in turn for this book publication.

      His second last original work (1997 & 2004 for example) in the form of a book of the transcripts records and related writing, of his major television interviews with major TV host Kanamitsu Toshio:

      *__1997 (Japanese)
      ___「自然」を生きる
      ___("shizen" o ikiru
      ___[A "Spontaneous/Natural/Nature" Life]);
      ___The interviews by 金光寿郎 (Kanamitsu Toshio) of him on NHK, here transcribed as this book;
      ___Published by Shunjūsha (春秋社): 1997 Feb.
      ___197p ill. (some col.) 20cm, out of print ISBN 978-4-393-74115-3;
      ___2004 Aug. new updated edition with more interviews;
      ___viii 208p 18.8x13cm, in print ISBN 978-4-393-74147-4.
      ___Japanese only, not translated (yet).

      His last original work in the form of a major book:

      *__2001 (Japanese)
      ___わら一本の革命 総括編 —粘土団子の旅—
      ___(wara ippon no kakumei sōkatsuhen —nendo dango no tabi—
      ___[The One Straw Revolution Recapitulation —Clay seed ball's journey [around Earth]—]);
      ___Self-published by 自然樹園 (小心舎) (Shizen Juen (Shou Shin Sha)) –one of his own self-publishing-publisher-names, in 2001 May;
      ___More than 950 captioned photographs from his travels all around Earth and his farm, many reproduced drawings and diagrams, and a full book of text pages also;
      ___271p A4 30x21cm ISBN 978-4-938743-02-4;
      ___2010 April re-published by Shunjūsha (春秋社)
      ___272p A4, in print ISBN 978-4-393-74151-1.
      ___Japanese only, not translated (yet).

      His Japanese "The One-Straw Revolution" was updated and revised, again in the 2004 Shunjusha published edition,
      along with updated and revised editions of five or so of his earlier major books, including 2004 updated and revised editions of the Japanese language books of "The Road Back to Nature" and "The Natural Way of Farming".

      A very popular song my generation grew up with, amongst many more:

      -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ix62PttEfhU

      -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vQaVIoEjOM

      It comes to mind, here of course.

      Anyone who believes this marketing hype rhetoric about it being his last major work needs to take a dose of this above music as medicine <smile> -- Don't believe the hype! --.

      Ruthie, specifically for you, please don't take this stuff (marketing) on face value. You know, scratch the surface -- You will often find that it doesn't stack up -- it (hype) doesn't stand up to scrutiny.

      I have discussed this with Larry Korn, including my civil expression of my disappointment regarding this false hype of "…his last...work...",

      he has not replied about this disappointing issue.

      Late Fukuoka Masanobu sensei didn't put hype in or on the outside of his original Japanese books nor on this of his own English 1996 original translation: "The Ultimatum of God Nature - The One Straw Revolution - A Recapitulation", of his Japanese original 1992 book.