Re: [fukuoka_farming] Re: …[The ] rights of Mother Earth… --Vandana Shiva 's writing of great, helpful, appropriate words.

  • Jason Stewart
    Message 1 of 147 , Jul 4, 2012
      Yeh, thanks for sharing the good proverb Zac.
      Thanks Sumant for sharing that critically important activity.
      Okay i've a little more time now today,
      pleasingly connected with Zac's proverb, my facebook news today has a quotation from one of Masanobu Fukuoka's teachers,
      the legendary Chinese philosopher Laozi/Lao Tzu
      ("According to Chinese traditions, Laozi lived in the 6th century BCE"
      -- English spellings of Chinese incompletely describe the pronunciation),
      Laozi and Zhuangzi originated Taoism, the philosophy/religion,
      Laozi is the author of the very famous Tao Te Ching/Dao De Jing classic text,
      the quotation: "

      Watch your thoughts;
      They become words.
      Watch you words;
      They become actions.
      Watch you actions;
      They become habits.
      Watch you habits;
      They become character.
      Watch you character;
      It becomes your destiny.
      Lao Tzu
      "

      quotation from news from: → http://www.facebook.com/pages/THE-GREAT-AWAKENING/142620169192701

      And then also this morning,
      my facebook news has, appropriately for a diversity of good sources,
      the very famous US scientist Stephen Hawking's words which have the connection with habits that Laozi has so well described,
      the quotation:

      ‎"
      The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.
      " -Stephen Hawking, theoretical physicist

      quotation from news from: → http://www.facebook.com/ScienceAlert

      On a totally different topic,
      Indian and Australian wattle plants and related plant species treat diabetes,
      the quotation:
      "
      News

      Plants help treat diabetes
      SWINBURNE UNIVERSITY OF TECHNOLOGY
      TUESDAY, 03 JULY 2012

      With the growing worldwide incidence of diabetes, a new study reveals that traditional Aboriginal and Indian plant extracts show potential for managing the disease.

      Researchers from Swinburne University of Technology have investigated 12 medicinal plant extracts to determine their potential to slow down two key enzymes in carbohydrate metabolism which affect blood sugar and diabetes.

      "Diabetes represents a global public health burden, with the World Health Organisation estimating that more than 180 million people worldwide currently suffer from the disease," said researcher Associate Professor Enzo Palombo.

      "More than 800 plants are used as traditional remedies in one or other form for the treatment of diabetes, but the management of the disease without any side effects is still a challenge."

      He said that modern drug discovery efforts included exploring traditional compounds from natural sources in the treatment of disease.

      "The results obtained in this study showed that most of the traditional plant extracts have good potential for the prevention and management of diabetes."

      The study evaluated the activity of seven Australian aboriginal medicinal plants and five Indian Ayurvedic plants against the metabolic enzymes α-amylase and α-glucosidase that break down carbohydrates from the diet into simple sugars. It also investigated the antioxidant properties of these plants.

      Of the twelve plant extracts evaluated, Australian sandalwood (Santalum spicatum) and the Indian kino tree (Pterocarpus marsupium) had the greatest effect in slowing down both enzymes.

      The extracts of Sandhill wattle (Acacia ligulata), pale turpentine bush (Beyeria leshnaultii), velvet bean (Mucuna pruriens) and tar vine (Boerhaavia diffusa) were effective against α-glucosidase only.

      The study further found that wanderrie wattle (Acacia kempeana) and Sandhill wattle had an antioxidant effect, eliminating free radicals which are heavily implicated in diabetes.

      Their findings are published in BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine.
      "
      -- publication link: → http://www.biomedcentral.com/1472-6882/12/77/abstract

      --A quotation from: → http://www.sciencealert.com.au/news/20120207-23523.html

      Jason Stewart

      Bama People's Country, Cairns, Wet Tropical NE Australia, at the moment.

      http://www.wettropics.gov.au/st/rainforest_explorer/Resources/Documents/8to9/BamaCountry.pdf
      http://www.bamaway.com.au/

      On 04/07/2012, at 9:16 PM, Sumant Joshi wrote:

      > It is the same for the people who live on mother Earth using whatever little she has on offer and revere her as a living being. Right now I am associated with an organization which is fighting for tribal rights against huge dams which will submerge their lives totally. Interested people may read it here:
      > http://forestsandpeople.wordpress.com/2012/07/04/hadkya-and-her-majestys-government/
      >

      > Sent from my BSNL landline B-fone
      >

      > Warm regards,
      >
      > Sumant Joshi