seed storage

  • Alan
    Message 1 of 21 , Jun 26, 2012
      I know that many here are in tropical and sub-tropical climates. I would like to know how you store your seed from year to year. I'm in the Southern USA and we have hot and humid summers and I've had a hard time storing seeds without the use of refrigeration. If I don't freeze my seed, they will not survive the year to be planted again in the spring. I know others don't use or have access to freezers to store their seed. How do you store your seed? How do you maintain good germination rates on your kept seed?
    • Venkat Iyer
      Message 2 of 21 , Jul 5, 2012
        Hi Alan,
        I am from India and my farm is about 100 kilometers from the city of
        Mumbai. Traditionally we have been storing seeds in earthen pots with
        wood ash mixed with the seeds and the lid sealed with a mixture of
        soil and cow dung.
        I do the same successfully though the earthen pots have been replaced
        by tin containers which are easily available in our areas. I have also
        been using turmeric powder and neem leaves along with the ash and the
        seeds survive for the entire year till the next season. The trick is
        to ensure that there is no light or moisture that reaches the seeds.
        So I store them in a cool, dry and dark spot at the farm. In ancient
        times there used to be a cellar where seeds were stored but I do not
        have one.
        For pulses, like green gram, black gram, chick peas etc I also do an
        additional procedure. Every alternate new moon day (the day when there
        is no moon in the sky), I remove the seeds from the tin and spread
        them in the sun (which we have a lot of) and put them back inside the
        tin after 2-3 hours. I do not have any idea why this is done but it
        was told to me by an old lady from the southern part of India and I am
        just doing it. It is an ancient system that has been followed for
        centuries in our country.
        I do hope this helps.
        Thanks and regards
        Venkat

        On 6/26/12, Alan <whitaker.j.alan@...> wrote:
        > I know that many here are in tropical and sub-tropical climates. I would
        > like to know how you store your seed from year to year. I'm in the Southern
        > USA and we have hot and humid summers and I've had a hard time storing seeds
        > without the use of refrigeration. If I don't freeze my seed, they will not
        > survive the year to be planted again in the spring. I know others don't use
        > or have access to freezers to store their seed. How do you store your seed?
        > How do you maintain good germination rates on your kept seed?

        Venkat Iyer
        (Mob) : 9820052606
      • Sumant Joshi
        Message 3 of 21 , Jul 5, 2012
          I googled your line "how you store your seed from year to year" and these sites came up

          http://www.realseeds.co.uk/seedsavinginfo.html%c2%a0

          http://www.motherearthnews.com/organic-gardening/save-vegetable-seeds-backyard-zmaz77zsch.aspx%c2%a0

          http://www.seedsanctuary.com/articles/seedsaving.cfm%c2%a0

          Sent from my BSNL landline B-fone

          Warm regards,

          Sumant Joshi
          Tel - 09370010424, 0253-2361161

        • Boovarahan Srinivasan
          Message 4 of 21 , Jul 5, 2012
            Thanks Mr Venkat for sharing the seed preservation technique.

            Is there any special method to be adopted to have " seed paddy " ?

            How do you practice "no-till farming " for rice ?

            Regards,

            Boovarahan S

            --
            Boovarahan S
            Chennai.

          • Venkat Iyer
            Message 5 of 21 , Jul 5, 2012
              For paddy seed there is no need to do anything. Just keep them in a
              sack and tie the mouth tightly. It remains for a year easily.
              I have tried "no-till" for rice and did not get any success. Now I
              till the land and disperse the rice. I do not do transplant or prepare
              the mother bed.

            • Ruthie Aquino
              Message 6 of 21 , Jul 6, 2012
                Hello Venkat,
                Why do you think you failed with no-till for rice?
                I would be grateful if you could share more details.
                What do you mean by "fail" -- is it not having anything or having very
                little?
                How many times did you try?
                One day I would like to try rice farming and do not wish to be disappointed
                like you have been.
                Fukuoka cultivated rice and he did not fail.
                best
                RUTHIE

              • Boovarahan Srinivasan
                Message 7 of 21 , Jul 6, 2012
                  Hmm !

                  So far I am also not successful with NF / no till methods.

                  Yet I don't want to blame the method , but I am not able to do it in the
                  proper manner as I could not be personally present at the field and do the
                  work. People I engage do it just for the pressure from me and not with
                  conviction / dedication and whole heartedness. Until I devout my personal
                  attention and work , I think I may not be successful in practising NF.

                  This season ( Navarai Pattam ) , I made the field wet and scattered the
                  germinated seeds . I had specifically told the care taker to mix the wet
                  seeds with sieved soil so that the seeds can get a clay coat. But in his
                  hurry , he failed to do that , and subsequently most of the seeds were
                  eaten by the sparrows as mine was the only field with grains while others
                  kept their fields unattended. Some of the seeds didn't touch the soil at
                  all but were lying on the weed grass and eventually burnt out in the
                  scorching sun. So long as the neighbouring farmers don't come with Navarai
                  season farming , I may not be able to raise a crop.

                  Now I have postponed my next attempt . This time I have to necessarily make
                  the field muddy and use a drum seeder . Do you think just scattering the
                  germinated seeds ( like black gram / sesame seeds ) on wet field would do ?
                  What is the method you adopt and what about the farm output per acre in kgs
                  ?
                  Please elaborate the method you adopt.

                  Thanks.

                  Message 8 of 21 , Jul 6, 2012
                    Yes ! It is Fukuoka san who made rice farming "seem" simple but in practice
                    it is not so.
                    The climatic / rain conditions of Japan are completely different than that
                    of tropical India. He paid full time attention all through the year . The
                    crop rotation was continuous barring a few days of flooding.

                    Yet his methods are to succeed necessarily as they are universal . Only
                    thing is we have to make some minor adjustments depending upon the local
                    conditions which eludes me so far. There are so many ideas in my head to do
                    this or that but I could not enforce them so far as I could not visit my
                    farm often.

                    Hope one day I could devout my full time attention to farming and become
                    successful natural farmer.

                    On Fri, Jul 6, 2012 at 1:58 PM, Ruthie Aquino <ruthieaquino1@...>wrote:

                    > Hello Venkat,
                    > Why do you think you failed with no-till for rice?
                    > I would be grateful if you could share more details.
                    > What do you mean by "fail" -- is it not having anything or having very
                    > little?
                    > How many times did you try?
                    > One day I would like to try rice farming and do not wish to be disappointed
                    > like you have been.
                    > Fukuoka cultivated rice and he did not fail.
                    > best
                    > RUTHIE
                    >

                    > Boovarahan S

                    Chennai.
                    09962662717 (Vodafone) , 08825889492 (Videocon)

                  • Nandan Palaparambil
                    Message 9 of 21 , Jul 6, 2012
                      Mixing wet seed with sieved soil looks to be a good method, if it is enough so that birds does not pick up.

                      Regards,

                      Nandan

                      ________________________________

                      Message 10 of 21 , Jul 6, 2012
                        I also couldn't succeed with paddy in no-till method. In my case, soil fertility has to improve a lot for this and growing many cycles of legumes also may be required. So blaming Fukuoka san's method doesn't help, he has shown it working for many years seasons after seasons.

                        We may have to religiously follow some of the points he mention..no-till, mulch, sow the seeds when one crop is in the harvest stage so that seeds get a head start before the weeds, mix legume with grains etc..One more important thing is the type of seed which we use, it should be locally adapted seed which grow tall and can compete with grass well.

                        This season I tilled the land and trying out 3 varieties of traditional seeds and one high yielding variety. I have collected one more traditional variety which can grow upto 5-6 feet tall with a duration of 6 months...

                        Hopefully in the next season I will try no-till farming with millets - pearl millet, sorghum etc..

                        Regards,

                        Nandan

                        ________________________________

                        Message 11 of 21 , Jul 7, 2012
                          The farms are no longer "living" due to continuous and indiscriminate usage
                          of chemicals and pesticides in the past as also due to exposure to sun and
                          mono cropping. The bad effects of all these have to be reversed and to
                          achieve this we have to necessarily use cow dung and cow's urine along with
                          thick mulching . One way of providing good mulch cover is to grow green
                          peas along with the main grain.

                          The native rice varieties are very robust but the quantum of output is
                          always less . But the quality compensates more than the fall in output.
                          This time one of our group members Sri Narasimhan has kindly consented to
                          give me seeds of native rice variety "Ghandhakasali" which is native to
                          Kerala . He speaks so high of this variety that once you taste it, you will
                          not like any other rice variety. But the output is less , around 15 bags (
                          900 kgs.) per acre while people expect 10 bags per 100 cents of land. I am
                          going to try this variety this year as I cultivate for my own use and not
                          for profit.

                          Message 12 of 21 , Jul 7, 2012
                            One of the greatest organic farming exponents Sri Nammlwar has suggested a
                            method wherein wet seeds are mixed with soil and sieved through a wire mesh
                            , just like we sieve river sand for building / construction work . The wet
                            seeds are then dried and kept in stock. One Mr Shankar from Tirunelveli has
                            suggested me this method when I narrated him of my failure with direct
                            scattering of rice seeds.
                            But I have not tested it.

                            Message 13 of 21 , Jul 7, 2012
                              Dear Ruthie,
                              It took Fukuoka san years to master the art of growing rice without
                              tilling. I only tried for 2 years and the results were pathetically
                              low, which is what I meant by 'failed'. I will have to keep on trying
                              to get the right combination which works for our climate and land to
                              get some yield of rice. It is hard work and needs a lot of patience.
                              Unfortunately I lack both.
                              Also, I am dependent on the land for my living and do not have any
                              other source of income. I need rice for myself and hence opted for a
                              method which suits my area and work conditions. This method involves
                              tilling the land so I do it.
                              I still dream of growing rice without tilling one day in the future
                              and hope to do it.

                              Venkat Iyer
                              (Mob) : 9820052606
                            • Nandan Palaparambil
                              Message 14 of 21 , Jul 7, 2012
                                Thanks for sharing this info. If we can make it work, nothing like this. Lot of people are not able to make large scale seed balls since the current methods are time consuming.

                                Regards,
                                Nandan

                                ________________________________

                                Message 15 of 21 , Jul 7, 2012
                                  This method , if successful , may solve one problem of being eaten by birds
                                  but still one more obstacle is there . What to do if the scattered seeds
                                  are blocked by weeds from touching the wet soil ? If the germinated seeds
                                  don't touch the wet soil , they will be burnt in the scorching sun of south
                                  india. There should be some method to overcome this . One method is to over
                                  saturate the field with more quantity of rice seeds as done by Krishna of
                                  solitude farm.

                                  Yet all these are to be tried and tested , which requires continued
                                  presence.

                                  On Sat, Jul 7, 2012 at 6:07 PM, Nandan Palaparambil
                                  <p_k_nandanan@...>wrote:

                                  > **
                                  >

                                  > Thanks for sharing this info. If we can make it work, nothing like this.
                                  > Lot of people are not able to make large scale seed balls since the current
                                  > methods are time consuming.
                                  >

                                  > Regards,
                                  > Nandan
                                  >

                                  > Boovarahan S

                                  Chennai.
                                  09962662717 (Vodafone) , 08825889492 (Videocon)

                                • G. G. Hegde
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Jul 7, 2012
                                    Boovarahan,

                                    Could you explain this in step by step method. I am not able
                                    to visualize how to do it. I would like to try it for my cover crop.

                                    I tried to dip the seeds in thick slurry of clay (mud from my farm pond), i
                                    do not think i am successful. I did not know how to dry the seeds, it was
                                    all sticking together.

                                    regards,
                                    gg

                                    Message 17 of 21 , Jul 7, 2012
                                      Fukuoka san's happy hill rice yielded well, don't remember the figures, but it is around 3 tons per acre.

                                      Some articles about high yielding traditional varieties...http://www.downtoearth.org.in/content/saving-rice - Boregowda harvests 2.7-3 tons per acre using traditional varieties.

                                      http://www.ecowalkthetalk.com/blog/2010/10/21/prakash-singh-raghuvanshi-one-farmers-crusade-to-save-indigenous-seeds-2/ - In this it reports, Prakash singh raghuvamshi harvests 2.5-3 tons per acre. These are not HYVs, rather seeds grown through selection process.

                                      Regards,

                                      Nandan

                                      ________________________________

                                      Message 18 of 21 , Jul 7, 2012
                                        Don't make the soil wet . Just make the seeds wet . Take dry soil ( sieved
                                        and powdered - to avoid clumps ) slightly more in volume than that of seeds
                                        ( around twice the volume of seeds should work ) . The soil should be
                                        highly clayey so as to stick with wet seeds . Mix thoroughly the wet seeds
                                        and dry soil in a pan so that the seeds are coated with clayey soil . (
                                        Simply take out the seeds from water / Bijamrutha and mix with soil ). Then
                                        use a mesh screen which we use to sieve sand for plastering work to sieve
                                        the seed soil mixture. The dry soil comes out through the mesh while the
                                        coated seeds stay behind .

                                        I have not tested this method but it is worth giving a try.

                                        Message 19 of 21 , Jul 7, 2012
                                          Thank you Venkat for your reply.
                                          Even before I start rice farming I am discouraged already hahaha.
                                          Anyway as I related earlier my first attempts at no-till no-watering
                                          tomatoes, cucumber, and peppers has not been negative. In fact seen the
                                          state of abandon of the vegetable patch it is already a good thing to
                                          harvest anything. And it is only my first season. Some carrots have
                                          sprouted but the soil is so hard and dry that I cannot harvest them. If
                                          they had been planted in neat rows maybe I could have used a fork but they
                                          are intermingled with other stuff like radishes and there are some salads
                                          coming up but since I do not recognize them I dare not pick them for fear
                                          of poisoning.
                                          I'm sure those fears do not exist for you because you recognize all your
                                          salads as I presume.
                                          It is already amazing that being a full-time farmer you still find the time
                                          to post here.
                                          More power to you.
                                          RUTHIE

                                        • Sumant Joshi
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Jul 8, 2012
                                            I think you need to use cow dung somewhere so that insects do not get at the seeds

                                            Message 21 of 21 , Jul 8, 2012
                                              there are a few videos on the subject on youtube. there are other methods also

                                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQuJSFAJrSA%c2%a0