RE: [fukuoka_farming] 1/3 of my garden does not get good light in winter, and I wonder if I can use that land to plant something.

  • Linda Shewan
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 19, 2012
      Hi Ruthie,

      I feel I may have mislead you … my yields are not very high as I am too relaxed about it all mainly because I am busy with lots of projects at the moment and so I just throw seeds and am happy with whatever result I get because I am not reliant on the output. I am always so thrilled to see food just growing without any input, the wonder of it, even if yields are low right now. My main objective is to continue improving the land and learn what weeds and perennial plants to eat so that if things go bad I will be in a position to get serious about the garden … I used to raise organic seedlings and sell them at the market but that is not very NF either really, although Fukuoka did transplant things like eggplant so I figure a bit of that is ok too…

      I have the chickens roaming the area at the moment and they have eaten absolutely EVERYTHING including the rhubarb leaves and horseradish leaves which is a bit unbelievable… to do NF well with higher yields I would need to restrict their access a lot more severely than I do but until I get good grass growing in their pen, that they can’t rip out – well I feel sorry for them to and want them to have as much greens as possible.

      I will post some pictures of the wild area in spring when the wild plants and some seeds I will throw then should come back up hopefully. For the meantime here are some pictures of the winter garden

      https://picasaweb.google.com/105084788160334549974/2012WinterGarden

      As you can see I have my ‘cultivated’ beds – this is because in summer the eucalypts beside the garden suck all the water and nutrient from the soil and even with bucket loads of compost the soil turns to sand in a month or so and nothing grows adequately. At the moment we have had lots of rain and as you can see the growth between the beds has a lot of food including lush chickweed, a little completely out of season purple mountain spinach (orach), french sorrel, fennel, mallow, dock, cress, dandelion and heartsease (for pretty flowers on winter salads).

      I am very much ‘aspiring’ and this forum and the people on it continue to inspire and push me to grow further.

      Cheers, Linda

      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 19, 2012
        Hi Linda,
        Thank you so much for the pictures.
        Can you believe my garden looks somewhat like yours?!
        It's new, I "won" it last April-May, it was taken over previously mowed
        land.
        I'll post some pics soon.
        best
        RUTHIE

      • Sumant Joshi
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 20, 2012
          Hey, why don't you ladies please give some details with your pictures like how big is the farm?, how many animals, type of climate etc. etc.

          for e.g. mine is 5.5 acres, no animals except wild ones, no crops (yet), tropical climate, temperature between 12 and 35 deg Celsius year round

          Sent from my BSNL landline B-fone

          Warm regards,

          Sumant Joshi
          Tel - 09370010424, 0253-2361161