Re: [fukuoka_farming] does someone have experiencie with dandalion? (Taraxacum officinale)

  • lucia
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 1, 2012
      well, I don't know anything about the nutritive value of dandelion, but
      I do know something about food preparation for maximum nutrition and
      digestion. It is not good to deep fry in olive oil. use coconut oil or
      lard instead. and it is not good to use whole wheat flour or corn meal
      that has not been soaked and/or sprouted. I don't know what kind they
      used in the video. In all the herb classes I've taken, dandelion are
      valued for the medicinal value of their leaves and roots.

      -lucia

      On Fri, 2012-06-01 at 08:31 +0200, Ruthie Aquino wrote:

      > It is one of the first herbs of Spring, maybe that answers your
      > question.
      > I have tried it but it is very bitter.
      > You dig for the shoots in the ground, before they actually come to the
      > surface.
      > How do you know they're there?
      > Experience and observation, which I don't have but a friend of mine
      > who
      > made me taste it did.
      > They are whitish yellow, tender, and less bitter.
      > They need to be washed in tons of water because they come when Spring
      > rains
      > fall and that's very muddy.
      > I serve them with cubes of bacon (a Winter fare) and croutons (just
      > fry
      > your bread cubes in oil with garlic), plus slices of hard-boiled egg,
      > sprinkle with vinaigrette sauce (1/3 vinegar and 2/3 oil), some more
      > garlic
      > if you wish.
      > This is reputed to be very nutritious and a fine delicacy.
      > But I have no authority to vouch for that...
      > best
      > RUTHIE
      >
      > 2012/5/31 Marcos G. <marcos@...>
      >
      > > **
      > >

      > > It's really true that it's so nutritive?
      > >
      > > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frDYIg_-RaI
      > >
      > > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jejS08m28zw&feature=related
      > >
      > > Regards,
      > >
      > > --
      > > Marcos Guglielmetti
      > > ▲
      > > :::::::::::::::::: M U S I X :::::::::::::::::::::
      > > ▼
      > > www.musix.org.ar
      > > www.ovejafm.com
      > > www.softwarelibre.org.ar
      > > www.huertasurbanas.com
      > >
      > > "The beginning of the mistake is from growing meat for the king and
      > wine
      > > for the church."
      > > http://www.context.org/ICLIB/IC14/Fukuoka.htm

    • Ivana Balazevic-Fisher
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 1, 2012
        Hi

        I have not had flowers, but have eaten a fair amount of dandelion leaves this spring.  When I tried them first, I found them bitter on their own, but in salad, with nice dressing I really enjoyed them.  I tried to pick younger leaves, like I would of any other plant...

        Best regards

        Ivana