Re: [fukuoka_farming] does someone have experiencie with dandalion? (Taraxacum officinale)

  • Ruthie Aquino
    Message 1 of 4 , May 31, 2012
      It is one of the first herbs of Spring, maybe that answers your question.
      I have tried it but it is very bitter.
      You dig for the shoots in the ground, before they actually come to the
      surface.
      How do you know they're there?
      Experience and observation, which I don't have but a friend of mine who
      made me taste it did.
      They are whitish yellow, tender, and less bitter.
      They need to be washed in tons of water because they come when Spring rains
      fall and that's very muddy.
      I serve them with cubes of bacon (a Winter fare) and croutons (just fry
      your bread cubes in oil with garlic), plus slices of hard-boiled egg,
      sprinkle with vinaigrette sauce (1/3 vinegar and 2/3 oil), some more garlic
      if you wish.
      This is reputed to be very nutritious and a fine delicacy.
      But I have no authority to vouch for that...
      best
      RUTHIE

      2012/5/31 Marcos G. <marcos@...>

      > **
      >

      > It's really true that it's so nutritive?
      >
      > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frDYIg_-RaI
      >
      > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jejS08m28zw&feature=related
      >
      > Regards,
      >
      > --
      > Marcos Guglielmetti
      > ▲
      > :::::::::::::::::: M U S I X :::::::::::::::::::::
      > ▼
      > www.musix.org.ar
      > www.ovejafm.com
      > www.softwarelibre.org.ar
      > www.huertasurbanas.com
      >
      > "The beginning of the mistake is from growing meat for the king and wine
      > for the church."
      > http://www.context.org/ICLIB/IC14/Fukuoka.htm

    • lucia
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 1, 2012
        well, I don't know anything about the nutritive value of dandelion, but
        I do know something about food preparation for maximum nutrition and
        digestion. It is not good to deep fry in olive oil. use coconut oil or
        lard instead. and it is not good to use whole wheat flour or corn meal
        that has not been soaked and/or sprouted. I don't know what kind they
        used in the video. In all the herb classes I've taken, dandelion are
        valued for the medicinal value of their leaves and roots.

        -lucia

        On Fri, 2012-06-01 at 08:31 +0200, Ruthie Aquino wrote:

        > It is one of the first herbs of Spring, maybe that answers your
        > question.
        > I have tried it but it is very bitter.
        > You dig for the shoots in the ground, before they actually come to the
        > surface.
        > How do you know they're there?
        > Experience and observation, which I don't have but a friend of mine
        > who
        > made me taste it did.
        > They are whitish yellow, tender, and less bitter.
        > They need to be washed in tons of water because they come when Spring
        > rains
        > fall and that's very muddy.
        > I serve them with cubes of bacon (a Winter fare) and croutons (just
        > fry
        > your bread cubes in oil with garlic), plus slices of hard-boiled egg,
        > sprinkle with vinaigrette sauce (1/3 vinegar and 2/3 oil), some more
        > garlic
        > if you wish.
        > This is reputed to be very nutritious and a fine delicacy.
        > But I have no authority to vouch for that...
        > best
        > RUTHIE
        >
        > 2012/5/31 Marcos G. <marcos@...>
        >
        > > **
        > >

        > > It's really true that it's so nutritive?
        > >
        > > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frDYIg_-RaI
        > >
        > > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jejS08m28zw&feature=related
        > >
        > > Regards,
        > >
        > > --
        > > Marcos Guglielmetti
        > > ▲
        > > :::::::::::::::::: M U S I X :::::::::::::::::::::
        > > ▼
        > > www.musix.org.ar
        > > www.ovejafm.com
        > > www.softwarelibre.org.ar
        > > www.huertasurbanas.com
        > >
        > > "The beginning of the mistake is from growing meat for the king and
        > wine
        > > for the church."
        > > http://www.context.org/ICLIB/IC14/Fukuoka.htm

      • Ivana Balazevic-Fisher
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 1, 2012
          Hi

          I have not had flowers, but have eaten a fair amount of dandelion leaves this spring.  When I tried them first, I found them bitter on their own, but in salad, with nice dressing I really enjoyed them.  I tried to pick younger leaves, like I would of any other plant...

          Best regards

          Ivana