Re: [fukuoka_farming] Natural Farming at Children's school in Thailand

  • Robin, Maya, or Napi
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 6, 2002
      Sorry to be giddy. The thanks are to Mr. Robert who posted the
      link to Moo Baan Dek. The message quoted below is from & about our
      Circle School. We are so happily jumbly to see our reflection in a
      school around the world from us in Thailand. Both Buddhist founders,
      both Summerhill child-led-learning, both natural gardeners, both
      cooperative dormitory style sleep-over programs. & Fukuoka-san
      himself has had a hand in rearing their program!
      The question about your (our, thank you for writing that welcome)
      website is: will there be a place to collect works of particular
      usefulness to early childhood educators? Not to design that children
      playing on children's' homework research sites will come to it, but
      that teachers who are trying to slip such an effort into an embalmed
      curriculum might find life there. Embalmed curriculum is not my
      coinage, Reggio Emilia, our Italian method, uses the term for teaching
      without following what each child is observing in their own natural
      season. Reggio teachers would love to build with the work of Fukuoka,
      trusting in the value of lessons from observation. Many 'teachers'
      gardening sites are written in a way to suppress any connection with
      following the nature of the child or of the garden.
      Again, Sir, please do not see this question as to push for the
      impossible or inappropriate. What you have already done is remarkably
      fresh & continuously useful. Just thank you for your kind
      consideration of the request.
      Napi Ippolito, Principal
      Circle School

      Larry Haftl wrote:

      > Robin, Maya, or Napi wrote:
      >
      > >Our visit to this site has been nourishment through our deepest
      > >roots. We began as a Tibetan Buddhist based school cooperative,
      > >modeled after English Summerhill! Circle School thanks you for
      > giving
      > >us this taste of the broader world. May we ask if there is a cute
      > >little button anywhere on the group site that could link stories of
      >
      > >such sister schools on the Mother Earth (we draw it on paper as the
      >
      > >circle school), somehow connecting Children & Sustainable
      > >Gardening/Natural Farming? Not that I am poised to send in scads
      > of
      > >links to children's gardening sites, more that the children's
      > >gardening sites need this link to Fukuoka-San.
      >
      > This confuses me. Is it something that came from the school in
      > Thailand's
      > website, or something you yourself wrote and are involved in?
      >
      > Larry Haftl
      > larry@...
      > http://larryhaftl.com/fukuoka
      > http://FukuokaNaturalFarming.org

    • Larry Haftl
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 6, 2002
        At Thursday, 07 November 2002, Napi wrote:

        >The message quoted below is from & about our Circle School.

        Hi Napi,
        My original confusion was whether you were asking about putting something
        on our site, or whether someone from the Thai school was talking
        about their website.

        Personally, I am in favor of just about anyting that helps kids learn
        and grow through mechanisms other than the social indoctrination
        process commonly referred to as "school".

        > The question about your (our, thank you for writing that welcome)
        >website is: will there be a place to collect works of particular
        >usefulness to early childhood educators? Not to design that children
        >playing on children's' homework research sites will come to it, but
        >that teachers who are trying to slip such an effort into an embalmed
        >curriculum might find life there.

        I can make the place if you can make the content and active participants
        of this list generally think it's a good idea (if they don't, I'd
        be willing to make a place for it on my own website). It's easy for
        me to turn text and graphics into webpages, it would not be easy
        for me to write the text or create the graphics. You would have to
        do that.

        >Many 'teachers'
        >gardening sites are written in a way to suppress any connection with
        >following the nature of the child or of the garden.

        So are many "teachers" non-gardening sites, and curiculum come to
        think of it.

        >Again, Sir, please do not see this question as to push for the
        >impossible or inappropriate.

        Always feel free to question and push. Nature and the webmaster will
        let you know when something is really impossible or inappropriate.

        One reservation though... would I have to make the button "cute"?
        I've never talked "cute" to a kid in my life. Always thought there
        were just people with limited experience temporarily trapped in very
        short bodies.

        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 6, 2002
          That was as cute as a button ever needs to be. G'night to all who
          are still at work.