Re: [fukuoka_farming] Natural Farming at Children's school

  • Robin, Maya, or Napi
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 6, 2002
      Thank you for the good laugh at the rare surfacing of the word
      hippy. About 10 years ago, our already 10 year old ecological urban
      school project was being reviewed for licensing by a conservative (is
      there any other kind hereabouts?) county Board of Supervisors. A
      member of the board actually used the word in voicing his fear, that
      if we were granted permission to carry out, in his county, our
      projects which had been years in the making, "these hippy schools will
      start to pop up all over the place." As if numerous dedicated groups
      of concerned, organized, environmentally conscientious parents waited
      in the woodwork to 'pop up'.

      We ended up staying in the city under the state Department of
      Social Services. They, too, began stand-offish, but now send us new
      licensees for mentoring. We hope someday to have a trainee who is not
      appalled at the use of dirt & straw, with sharpened sticks to dig &
      wheelbarrows to ride (not at the same time), gleefully scattering
      seeds & chopped compost, as the tasks of early childhood education.
      When a child gingerly offers a look at a beautiful shiny worm, so many
      student teachers still bark, "Put that nasty thing down & go wash your
      hands."

      The teens & young adults, who were once your 5 to 11 year olds,
      will always remember you in their dreams, & carry knowledge &
      observation with them from your care. Personal arithmetic lessons are
      the most concrete kind. Your respect for their territorial identities
      allowed them to be sponges, soaking in awareness of the garden-self.