Re: [fukuoka_farming] Confusion

  • Harish Amur
    Message 1 of 6 , May 5, 2012
      In my experience, grass can be controlled by mulching. There are two
      distinct experiments that I have been doing, which provide enough evidence
      towards this statement. One: the mulching of sugarcane plantation. This was
      achieved by not burning the debris (leaves et al) produced(rendered?) while
      harvesting. This mulch was quite thick (about 2" or more). What I have
      observed is that the taller grass (sugar cane) does not let similar grass
      grow. However many other weeds (for the lack any other word) grow, which
      are more like ground cover crops. Parthenium grows too. However these
      ground cover crops and parthenium do not seem to affect sugar cane growth.
      Further, the mulch has reduced the need to water to a very large extent. To
      share a perspective: a typical sugar cane farm of one acre is fed 60,000
      litres of water on a weekly basis (I could be off with the estimate by a
      couple of thousand litres). Our one acre sugar cane farm was fed with
      similar amount of water once(one week) in Jan and there is still enough
      moisture in the soil even after months of scroching heat. The summer has
      been a lot more hotter this year. Of course, we did get a few showers in
      between. Here a significant take away is that the 'artificial selection' of
      growing sugarcane has worked. The 'natural selection' of wild grass growth
      has been significantly reduced.

      Second: We covered a few tall trees at our home garden (not the farm) with
      a lot of tree litter (leaves et al). Since the garden has a couple of tall
      trees and the garden was maintained clean for a long time(before we moved
      here last year), there wasn't much of a weed growth, including grass.
      However after the mulching was done, we see a lot of 'good' crops
      underneath the trees. The take away here is that if there is enough mulch
      and a favourable condition, unwanted grass does not grow.

      Philosophically, I agree with Mr. Jason that "Any looking for a spoon fed
      prescriptive formula (by defintion) lacks the imagination to work it out
      from first principles themselves". But that does not help starters. In a
      group like this, we need to get ideas. These ideas help find the first
      principles faster. Else, we can always seek higher
      moral/spiritual/philosphical territories from where even natural farming
      seems 'artificial'. We can go back to hunting and gathering OR directly
      assimilating sun's energy (http://solarhealing.com/)

      Fukuoka san is an immense source of inspiration. We need to draw from this
      inspiration and 're-discover' a more conscious way of 'life'. I would still
      say something that I wrote earlier, which was not popular. "Fukuoka San was
      a sage. If it was not for farming he would have been as spiritual in any
      other walk of life, except that farming is the most natural path that any
      such guru would seek." This statement was misunderstood. A sage is not a
      saint, but a wise old man and spirituality is not religion.

      Regards,
      Harish