Re: [fukuoka_farming] Book - The Biggest Estate on Earth

  • Jason Stewart
    Message 1 of 2 , May 3 10:29 PM
      Dear Linda,

      Yep, for sure!
      Go for it! --and everyone worldwide please read it, without mentioning late Fukuoka Masanobu sensei, it relates very well, complements very well and expands immensely late Fukuoka Masanobu sensei's nature farming principles, practises and philosophy(s).
      You can buy an ebook version too, cheaper.
      i have it, have read it, and have critically read it very carefully, but have yet to write a proper scholarly critique of it
      ---i'm urging much greater scholars than me to write critical thinking reviews of it---such as recently urging Dr. Rosemary Hill (James Cook University, N QLD) to do so.

      Please see a little of my involvement in the subject, for example
      In another great group here:
      -> https://groups.google.com/d/msg/firesticks/YVaiJ7Zovcw/M6BbP_un_OIJ

      Book: "Biggest Estate on Earth" is a major new learning exercise for most people in the world, regarding the many peoples and cultures of first Ozzies (Australians -- so called by the British invaders: Aborigines with a capital A), except it is not new nor a learning exercise for themselves, as Dr. Brad Moggridge (water scientist, CSIRO and first Australian) has written to me, it is awareness and practises inborn (in the bones) and growing up in all people who are first Australians. My very great privilege here in Australia has been that from year 1990 onwards numerous people who are First Australians have taught me about and involved me in this subject, of books "Biggest Estate on Earth" and "Dark Emu" as an English speaking Australian born of Scottish (and Vikings' ancestors in turn), a little French, Irish and perhaps English (German) ancestry, and of being brought up culturally also a bit with first Australians, Japanese and Tibetan families.

      Bill Gammage and the "Biggest Estate on Earth" are getting massive interest all around Australia these days, since it, the book's release on 2011 Oct 01.
      There are TV current affairs segments about it, radio programs about it, newspaper articles about it, major national speeches Bill Gammage has done about it, and much more---he's speaking all over Oz these days.

      If you want to read a technical anthropology and ethnobotany science monograph on this subject, instead or as well, you can read:
      Gerritsen, Rupert (2008). "Australia and the Origins of Agriculture". Archaeopress. ISBN 9781407303543. Retrieved 2 May 2011.
      -> http://books.google.com/books?id=rB4kAQAAIAAJ
      Rupert gave me a non-transferable e-copy 18 months ago. Sorry i shouldn't give that to anyone else. That Google books version is freely available to read in large part.

      One even better again book on nature farming (by the principles of nature and late Fukuoka Masanobu sensei), Australia, is coming out before too long later this year:

      Pascoe, Bruce 2012 "Dark Emu"
      (refers to the message practical and spiritual of the area of stars in the night sky called the dark emu.)
      Let's also wait, eagerly, for that book too.
      i don't know the publisher yet:
      see -> http://brucepascoe.com.au/

      Hence from above,
      i strongly recommend you attend, if living near enough and if convenient,
      the following profound conversation for Australia, our past (true history), present and future:
      "In Conversation: Bruce Pascoe and Bill Gammage"
      "
      Date
      Sunday 3 June

      Time
      2.30pm

      Venue
      Black Box Studio

      Cnr Glenfern Road and Matson Drive
      Upwey VIC 3158

      Phone: 9754 8723
      Email: events@...

      Cafe Phone: 9754 5707

      Open Tuesday to Sunday
      10.30am to 4.00pm

      Melway Reference: Map 75 B12

      Car parking is available in the Burrinja Car Park which is situated off Matson Drive. Visitors to Burrinja are encouraged to consider carpooling when attending events and are asked to consider our neighbours when parking and leaving.

      Admission
      $10 / Members Free

      Part of the Memories - Contact with White People Public Program.
      Gippsland resident and author of Convincing Ground, Bruce Pascoe will present his recent book Dark Emu, an examination of the Aboriginal economy as seen by the �Explorers�. Bruce Pascoe will be in conversation with Bill Gammage, who recently published The Biggest Estate on Earth � How Aborigines made Australia, a book that examines land-management strategies used by Aboriginal people around the country prior to colonialisation.

      This talk will go for approx. 90 minutes. Places are limited so please book online or call 9754 8723.

      "

      see, from here: -> http://www.burrinja.org.au/index.php/burrinja-whats-on/whats-on-art

      If as i may be, in Melbourne at the time, instead of here in Cairns: i will definitely attend. And so we also can meet Bill Gammage, amazing writer Bruce Pascoe and each other!

      Phew! There' you go, lot's for you, Linda.

      Jason Stewart
      --currently in Cairns, Bama country, The Wet Tropics of far north Queensland.
      --Openly accepting of (my) membership of, my part within, nature.