Re: [fukuoka_farming] Greetings !

  • Larry Haftl
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 6, 2002
      At Wednesday, 6 November 2002, Shahara wrote:

      >Greetings !
      >I am Shahara, in Wisconsin, usa, momma of 5, pagan, vegan, writer/poet.

      Hi Shahara,

      Welcome to the group. In my youth I spent a lot of time messing about
      in Wisconsin for various reasons. Always liked the people and the
      places. What part are you in?

      If you haven't already seen it, you might check out the website associated
      with this mailing list. The links are after my signature.

      You might also find Robert Hayes' site interesting. He's a participant
      here, off the grid down in New Mexico, and into straw bale construction
      amongst other things. His site is at

      http://strawrevolution.com

      Larry Haftl
      larry@...
      http://larryhaftl.com/fukuoka
      http://FukuokaNaturalFarming.org
    • Robin, Maya, or Napi
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 6, 2002
        Hello, Shahara,

        Good to hear of the Deeply Rooted Community. Best wishes for
        coming to an agreement with your partners to work co-creatively with
        your land.

        My local group is also fond of the stories from Perelandra. For
        years we had been sharing our copies of the books Findhorn Garden &
        Secret Life of Plants. We were surprised when we finally learned of
        Perelandra through the book Behaving as if the God in All Life
        Matters, because the nature research center is only two hours from us
        in the Virginia countryside. One of the mothers in our cooperative is
        a long-time student of Machaelle Small Wright who practices
        Perelandra, uh...what is the voo-doo?..., kinesiology, in our
        gardens. We have visited Perelandra as a school group twice. It is
        as luscious as the photos with little watering, even through this past
        protracted drought.

        The methods of Perelandra are not altogether 'do nothing', but are
        deeply respectful of observation & cooperation with the land. The
        spirit is warmly akin to Fukuoka-san, the voices differ. Deep mulch
        eliminates much labor, but there seems to be plenty of tilling.
        Although I have missed it if anyone else has submitted the Perelandra
        website to this group before, I had never done so, mainly because it
        begins commercially with the offers of books, videos, & flower
        essences for sale. If the link below works, then it takes the reader
        to the actual farm site.
        <http://www.perelandra-ltd.com/AB1473/webpage.cfm?WebPage_ID=75&DID=8>

        Your links to the home birthing groups cycle around with the
        Permaculture links, like a cousin to Fukuoka Natural Farming.
        Permaculture founder Holmgren also connects with Steiner education &
        homeschooling. In our 20-year-old co-op school, founded by
        homeschoolers, we greatly admire much of Waldorf, by our own nature
        are definitely more Reggio Emilia park project, & that coincidentally
        brings us spiraling back around to a different Emilia of this group,
        whose studies & video work pop up with the answers to many of our
        questions about whadidiz & wheretastart.

        As you happen into the discussion, one exciting bit of news that
        has settled in as a subject of visualizing over the winter, Ms. Emilia
        has made a preliminary note about her upcoming Fukuoka project (in
        Switzerland I believe, without checking for sure), & internship
        opportunities for 3 month to 9 month terms. For checking back to be
        sure, & for delightful study, the archives & website of this group,
        which Mr. Larry of the website has only modestly mentioned in his
        welcome to you, are an earthy place to spend spare moments if you are
        stuck inside near the computer.
        Peace,
        Napi