Greetings !

  • shahara9@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 6, 2002
      Greetings !
      I am Shahara, in Wisconsin, usa, momma of 5, pagan, vegan, writer/poet.

      Our intentional community is in north-central Wisconsin, called Deeply Rooted.
      It is a pagan church on about 40 acres of wild land, paid for, with another
      80 or so in DNR trust, as part of it is protected wetlands. We have one
      smallish community center on the land, and my partner and I are building a
      Yurt (maily out of 'found' materials) and I will be living there full time
      Summer of 04, with 3 of 5 children (2 will be adults at that time). We are
      all organic, off-grid (solar and wind energy) and becoming as sustainable as
      we can.

      Most of our garden area is quackgrass (6 foot high) and crabgrass, we are
      working on this and hope to have a big garden next year. I want to work with
      the land, others want to get rid of whats 'in their way' and tame the land.
      Its under discussion, and we are becoming more educated as to alternative
      modes of organic gardening. I've been a fan of Perelandra for many years, but
      haven't had a chance to put it to use. I've also recently heard about the
      work of Masanobu Fukuoka (last night!) and am excited to find so many people
      into healing/gardening.

      Any questions/comments are welcome !
      ~shahara lefay

      shahara lefay
      pagan priestess poet
      vegan homeschooling homesteaders
      radical momma of 5
      <A HREF="http://www.gurlpages.com/shaharalefay/">TerraSoLuna*Tribe LeFay</A>
      ~faery fam-trad~
      icq # 152784873
      yahoo--Shahara9
    • Larry Haftl
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 6, 2002
        At Wednesday, 6 November 2002, Shahara wrote:

        >Greetings !
        >I am Shahara, in Wisconsin, usa, momma of 5, pagan, vegan, writer/poet.

        Hi Shahara,

        Welcome to the group. In my youth I spent a lot of time messing about
        in Wisconsin for various reasons. Always liked the people and the
        places. What part are you in?

        If you haven't already seen it, you might check out the website associated
        with this mailing list. The links are after my signature.

        You might also find Robert Hayes' site interesting. He's a participant
        here, off the grid down in New Mexico, and into straw bale construction
        amongst other things. His site is at

        http://strawrevolution.com

        Larry Haftl
        larry@...
        http://larryhaftl.com/fukuoka
        http://FukuokaNaturalFarming.org
      • Robin, Maya, or Napi
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 6, 2002
          Hello, Shahara,

          Good to hear of the Deeply Rooted Community. Best wishes for
          coming to an agreement with your partners to work co-creatively with
          your land.

          My local group is also fond of the stories from Perelandra. For
          years we had been sharing our copies of the books Findhorn Garden &
          Secret Life of Plants. We were surprised when we finally learned of
          Perelandra through the book Behaving as if the God in All Life
          Matters, because the nature research center is only two hours from us
          in the Virginia countryside. One of the mothers in our cooperative is
          a long-time student of Machaelle Small Wright who practices
          Perelandra, uh...what is the voo-doo?..., kinesiology, in our
          gardens. We have visited Perelandra as a school group twice. It is
          as luscious as the photos with little watering, even through this past
          protracted drought.

          The methods of Perelandra are not altogether 'do nothing', but are
          deeply respectful of observation & cooperation with the land. The
          spirit is warmly akin to Fukuoka-san, the voices differ. Deep mulch
          eliminates much labor, but there seems to be plenty of tilling.
          Although I have missed it if anyone else has submitted the Perelandra
          website to this group before, I had never done so, mainly because it
          begins commercially with the offers of books, videos, & flower
          essences for sale. If the link below works, then it takes the reader
          to the actual farm site.
          <http://www.perelandra-ltd.com/AB1473/webpage.cfm?WebPage_ID=75&DID=8>

          Your links to the home birthing groups cycle around with the
          Permaculture links, like a cousin to Fukuoka Natural Farming.
          Permaculture founder Holmgren also connects with Steiner education &
          homeschooling. In our 20-year-old co-op school, founded by
          homeschoolers, we greatly admire much of Waldorf, by our own nature
          are definitely more Reggio Emilia park project, & that coincidentally
          brings us spiraling back around to a different Emilia of this group,
          whose studies & video work pop up with the answers to many of our
          questions about whadidiz & wheretastart.

          As you happen into the discussion, one exciting bit of news that
          has settled in as a subject of visualizing over the winter, Ms. Emilia
          has made a preliminary note about her upcoming Fukuoka project (in
          Switzerland I believe, without checking for sure), & internship
          opportunities for 3 month to 9 month terms. For checking back to be
          sure, & for delightful study, the archives & website of this group,
          which Mr. Larry of the website has only modestly mentioned in his
          welcome to you, are an earthy place to spend spare moments if you are
          stuck inside near the computer.
          Peace,
          Napi