Re: [fukuoka_farming] Fwd: Subhash Palekar's comments on Fukuoka

  • yajnesh shetty
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 2, 2012
      Cheap tricks to belittle others and hog credit.I have lost all respect for him.

      ________________________________
      From: Yugandhar S <s.yugandhar@...>
      Date: Mon, Apr 2, 2012 at 2:01 PM
      Subject: Subhash Palekar's comments on Fukuoka
      To: Fukuoka Farming <fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com>

      Dear Friends,
      Most of the Indian members on this forum may know Sri Subhash Palekar.,
      the proponent of Zero Budget Natural Farming( ZBNF) which primarily farms
      based on Local cow's dung and urine. Just for info, the local cow in India
      is considered as mother, as even waste matter from it is beneficial in many
      ways(medicine and manure), and the cow continues to be worshiped and used
      in farming activities.

      Yesterday, I visited one of his session in Hyderabad to enquire about his
      books along with a friend. We went almost towards the closing hours of the
      inaugural day session. During the 15 minutes I stayed there, Sri Palekar
      made some comments on Fukuoka's do-nothing method which actually pained me.
      I want to share them here to express my concern. I also wrote an email to
      him expressing my concern.

      His words( my words in brackets ): " Attendees, I want to tell you that
      Natural farming and my ZBNF are different. NF was first introduced to the
      world by Japanese plant scientist Masanobu Fukuoka. He practiced and
      proposed a method called do-nothing farming. That means, just sow the
      seeds,sleep at home, and after the growth period is over, just go to the
      field and collect the harvest( Ignorance? We discussed that many times on
      this forum and concluded that do-nothing means to do-nothing AGAINST
      nature). Many people who listened to him and started following his method,
      sowed the seeds and left the fields. After some days when they went to
      collect harvest, there was nothing as weeds have taken control and the
      crops died. Many people lost heavily by following his method ( Really??).
      After his death, even his farm in Japan was converted to chemical farming
      again. We must do some necessary things( Like applying Jeevamrutha? Human
      ego?), otherwise we will not get crops. People also say that ZBNF is
      ancient. That is also false. In ancient method people used to dump cart
      loads of FYM in the fields.....(and he went on to say that his method is
      very new and developed by him alone....reminded me of Bill Mollison who
      felt that nature was not perfect).

      My feeling: I have good respect for Sri Palekar, as I feel that to the lay
      farmer who will definitely not accept do-nothing farming( due to his
      livelihood concerns and fears), ZBNF is a good method to shift from
      chemical to natural methods as it appeals with it's do-this and do-that
      tone. I also believe that the 'principles' of ZBNF are very similar to NF.
      The only thing is the do-nothing is a superior and more closer to nature
      method ( or non-method). There are many visionaries in India itself who
      developed their own sustainable methods ( as discussed many times on this
      forum). The goal of each one was to move closer to nature and natural
      methods. If all such great workers of this earth come together and work
      keeping aside their ego and differences, the world could be a much better
      place. If someone says that his method is the only one that works or trying
      to prove it's superiority over other methods (without proper facts), it is
      detrimental to people. Personally, I felt bad about Palekar's remarks on
      Fukuoka's do-nothing farming. Ironically, Palekar himself refers to the
      forest eco-system as a basis for his methods. That means he is actually
      basing his methods on do-nothing-by-man and do-nothing-against-nature
      principles.

      If ego takes over, there is only one way to go. Downward.

      Thanks and Regards
      Yugandhar

    • Boovarahan Srinivasan
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 2, 2012
        While I don't accept Palekar's comments , I still admire his methods which
        resulted in turning many farmers from chemical farming to organic farming.

        The so called additives - Jeevamrutha of Palekar / Panchagavya of
        Nammazhwar / Amudha Karaisal of Karikalan all depend on Indian breed
        cow's urine and dung and some sweetener like jaggery / molasses . The most
        important factor is that they don't go against tilling which is
        fundamentally opposed in natural farming.

        I have attended the seminar's of Palekar / Nammazhwar but found everybody
        has his own ego . While Palekar considers inferior all other inputs other
        than his Jeevamrutha , Nammazhwar never talks about any additive other than
        Panchagavya. It all ends in one man projecting himself as spear header /
        leader .

        While Fukuoka never projected his natural farming methods as the ONLY
        viable method , he was magnanimous enough to appreciate good work done by
        others like Bill Mollison , Bhaskar Save , Palekar etc.. But others don't
        have such magnanimity and want to project themselves ALONE as heroes.

        What a pity !

        Boovarahan S
        Chennai.
        09962662717 (Vodafone) , 08825889492 (Videocon)

      • Nandan Palaparambil
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 2, 2012
          Like Subash Palekar lot of people misunderstands Natural farming and concludes it is about leaving everything to nature. In addition to if there is a mention about 'do-nothing', then people think they completely understand the scenario of natural farming and they don't even read/discuss to understand.

          People gets attracted to preparations like 'Jeewamritha', but in my opinion if cow dung, cow urine mixed together and sprayed over the mulch will have the same effect as applying 'Jeewamritha'. Fukuoka san could achieve the same thing by applying the chicken manure which is much more efficient. It is a good thing that Subash Palekar could convert lot of chemical farmers to natural farming (+ the preparation), and his books help in planning the orchard and gives which all crops can be selected for mixed planting.

          But it is a pity that Subash Palekar was criticising Masanobu Fukuoka's natural farming without understanding the subject.

          Regards,
          Nandan

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 2, 2012
            All,

            There are host people who do not agree with what we do daily' but we still
            do it. Just how we have a view on what is farming, palekar has his own
            view, method he employs seems to be personal attack rather than by proof.
            Best solution to handle such people is ignore them.

            Regards
            Shashi

          • Anant Joglekar
            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 2, 2012
              If you spit on SUN it boomerang on your own face.Criticizing Fukuoka is --------

              anant joglekar
              9423089706

              >________________________________

            • Anant Joglekar
              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 2, 2012
                EGO is like a ECLIPSE overshadowing all the BRIGHTNESS of PERSONALITY.

                Let US pray for Mr Palekar.................

                May god bless him..........

                anant joglekar
                9423089706

                >________________________________

              • Ruthie Aquino
                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 2, 2012
                  Dear Indian friends, dear friends,
                  Once again your reactions above have shown your humility.
                  To me intellectual humility is a sure sign of intelligence.
                  Far be it from me to be flattering anybody here, I am just so do-nothingly
                  happy to have you men who do not answer (verbal) violence with violence.
                  Have a nice day.
                  RUTHIE

                  2012/4/3 Anant Joglekar <apjoglekar@...>

                  > **
                  >

                  > EGO is like a ECLIPSE overshadowing all the BRIGHTNESS of PERSONALITY.
                  >
                  > Let US pray for Mr Palekar.................
                  >
                  > May god bless him..........
                  >

                  > anant joglekar
                  > 9423089706
                  >
                  > The ultimate goal of natural farming is not simply growing crops but the
                  > cultivation and perfection of human beings. Masanobu Fukuoka
                  >
                  > >________________________________

                • Travellingatthespeedofthought
                  Message 8 of 13 , Apr 3, 2012
                    EGO

                    This is what happens when we forget that everything comes from Mother Nature.

                    Zac

                    ________________________________

                    Message 9 of 13 , Apr 3, 2012
                      Thank you Yugandhar,
                      for your clarification.

                      And:
                      In my logic--based aspect of awareness:
                      It is exactly the nature (illusion and exclusivity) of ego to divert from wholeheartedly becoming part of and participating within that which is much bigger than (more inclusive than) ourself--(ego) -- nature is much bigger than, inclusive of and more inclusive than, ourself--(ego). Emphasising, nature includes humans and our'selves'--('ego'), only those suffering from these self--exclusion--illusions of ego don't or can't see nature as including of them'selves'.

                      Does anyone have any responses of additional Fukuoka Masanobu books translation languages?

                      sincerely biggest best true nature with all,

                      Jason Stewart
                      --in Cairns at the moment.
                      --Openly accepting of (my) membership of, part within, nature.

                    • Jason Stewart
                      Message 10 of 13 , Apr 3, 2012
                        On this subject, i think you all will find this high quality, highly informative, recent radio program really eye opening:

                        See: → http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/bigideas/numinous-cosmos/3864728

                        NUMINOUS COSMOS

                        Listen nowDownload audio
                        Broadcast:Thursday 15 March 2012 8:05PM (view full episode)
                        What is a better tool for gaining knowledge and discovering truth—science or spirituality? Or are the scientific and spiritual approaches not so different after all? A physicist, a Buddhist monk and a biologist talk about the numinous cosmos and enlightenment.

                        Guests
                        David Blair
                        Astrophysicist and Director of Australian International Gravitational Research Centre.
                        Abbot Ajahn Brahm
                        Spiritual Director of the *Buddhist* Society of Western Australia
                        Dr Stephen Wylie
                        Molecular Biologist at Murdoch University

                        Please let me know if you can't access it by downloading or streaming, i can immediately assist as i've downloaded it (and it is free).

                        On 03/04/2012, at 6:03 PM, Travellingatthespeedofthought wrote:

                        > EGO
                        >
                        > This is what happens when we forget that everything comes from Mother Nature.
                        >
                        > Zac
                        >
                        > ________________________________

                      • Jason Stewart
                        Message 11 of 13 , Apr 4, 2012
                          Please clarify—realise:

                          http://www.thedalailamamovie.com/
                          —Please buy this movie
                          —copyright for the best reasons in the world.

                          Copyright piracy, but still viewable in full for free (–for preview i say towards buying–)
                          in YouTube here:
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-R5l5IWN7qs

                          Please clarify—realise from the dialogue and the Dalai Lama's explanation near the end of the film.

                          sincerely biggest best true nature with all,

                          Jason Stewart
                          --in Cairns at the moment.
                          --Openly accepting of (my) membership of, part within, nature.

                          PS. Also, another clarification and expansion from my clear awareness:
                          ...Institutional societal structures established many thousands of years ago involving violence do not lack violence today long after they were established,
                          institutions founded with violence but today not obviously showing violence are still really and very violent (structurally and institutionally)—you would or should know and if not please all be advised. Violence is not just individual physical, but worse of psychological eg. torture, hatred and spiritual warfare and bigger scale of societal and national violence. Being a doormat is defeat—encouraging violent perpetrators to keep stomping their dirt off on one. Self protection and self-defence when clearly necessary for the combined total of less violence than combined total of letting violence perpetrators continue violence over and over again. Please clarify and realise! Flattery misperceptions of superiority are in fact misperceptions of power games, one-up-MAN-ship, exclusion and masked–hidden foundations in prior violence. ...
                          ... (written without much copyediting nor completion—you come to your own awareness realisation and clarification of it. Too many words from me have no use if you don't come to realise it in clearing your own awareness. ... ... ...)