"The ultimate goal of farming is not the growing of crops, but the cultivation and perfection of human beings."

  • Jason Stewart
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 30, 2012
      “ ...The ultimate goal of farming is not the growing of crops, but the cultivation and perfection of human beings. ”

      1975 自然農法-わら一本の革命
      English translation 1978 "The One–Straw Revolution" -page 119

      The U.N. Happiness Project
      By TIMOTHY W. RYBACK
      Published: March 28, 2012

      Next Monday, the United Nations will implement Resolution 65/309, adopted unanimously by the General Assembly in July 2011, placing “happiness” on the global agenda.
      Enlarge This Image

      Courtesy of Jean Timsit
      Related in News

      Times Topic: Bhutan
      “Conscious that the pursuit of happiness is a fundamental human goal” and “recognizing that the gross domestic product [...] does not adequately reflect the happiness and well-being of people,” Resolution 65/309 empowers the Kingdom of Bhutan to convene a high-level meeting on happiness as part of next week’s 66th session of the U.N. General Assembly in New York.

      An impressive array of luminaries will be speaking for this remote Himalayan kingdom. His Royal Highness the Prince of Wales will open the meeting via a prerecorded video missive. The Nobel laureate Joseph Stiglitz will speak on “happiness indicators,” as will the economist Jeffrey Sachs. The Bhutanese prime minister will represent King Jigme Khesar Namgyel, the reigning Dragon King of the Bhutanese House of Wangchuck. (The kingdom became a constitutional monarchy in 2007.)

      For the 32-year-old Dragon King — Bhutan means “land of dragons” in the local Dzongkha language — U.N. Resolution 65/309 represents a global public relations triumph and the realization of a hereditary ambition, initiated by his grandfather 40 years ago, to establish Gross National Happiness (G.N.H.) as an alternate model to Gross National Product (G.N.P.) as a measure of national progress.

      http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/29/opinion/the-un-happiness-project.html?pagewanted=all

      Inside Bhutan ... (PHOTOS)

      http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/13/inside-bhutan-a-place-few_n_1338785.html

      Photo 1 caption part quotation:
      "
      Agriculture in Bhutan has a dominant role in the economy of the country. Rice production plays an important role in food supply and is cultivated largely for domestic consumption. In a country where 79% of the population is engaged in agriculture, in 2006 the production of rice was 74, 720 metric tons, with some 67,568 acres (273.44 km2) under cultivation. This increased dramatically from 44,000 tons in 2000. Rice production in Bhutan increased by 58 percent between 1989 to 1997 according to an assessment of the rice research program in Bhutan.
      "

      http://www.google.com.au/search?rls=en&q=Resolution+65/309+UN

      sincerely biggest best true nature with all,

      Jason Stewart
      --in Cairns at the moment.
      --Openly accepting of (my) membership of, part within, nature.

    • Ruthie Aquino
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 30, 2012
        Happiness for men or women?
        A woman forced to wear a burka, banned from learning to drive, subjected to
        physical mutilation, getting a lower salary for the same work (a reality in
        today's France), prevented from even being born by the mere fact of being a
        female or being less loved by the parents for being a girl...it is obvious
        some societies think women are not like men.
        I am angry.
        And I am not a feminist.
        RUTHIE

        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 31, 2012
          Dear Ruthie,
          What has got into you today???
          What has that to do with late Fukuoka Masanobu sensei or with Bhutan or with making benefit towards happiness, Ruthie?
          A non-sequiter. You've now lost me. i am a womens' liberationist (feminist) and homo sapiens' liberationist (including both men, women, children, infants and in the womb with mum ...).
          In case you've mistaken Bhutan,
          it is not an arab muslim nation.
          It is in the himalayas, and a Buddhist nation.

          On 31/03/2012, at 4:12 PM, Ruthie Aquino wrote:

> [...]
          > > largely for domestic consumption. In a country where 79% of the population
          > > is engaged in agriculture, in 2006 the production of rice was 74, 720
          > > metric tons, with some 67,568 acres (273.44 km2) under cultivation. This
          > > increased dramatically from 44,000 tons in 2000. Rice production in Bhutan
          > > increased by 58 percent between 1989 to 1997 according to an assessment of
          > > the rice research program in Bhutan.
          > > "
          > >
          > > → http://www.google.com.au/search?rls=en&q=Resolution+65/309+UN
          > >
          > > sincerely biggest best true nature with all,
          > >
          > > Jason Stewart
          > > --in Cairns at the moment.
          > > --Openly accepting of (my) membership of, part within, nature.

          > TODAY(Beta) • Powered by Yahoo!
          > Longtime star quarterback's big gripe
          > Donovan McNabb says Tim Tebow has gotten a better deal than he has in at least one respect.

        • Ruthie Aquino
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 31, 2012
            Yes dear Jason, I know all that. I know Bhutan is not muslim.
            Inadvertently I made you feel like a target of my tirades but of course I
            am not angry with anything you said.
            It is just that...I think it unacceptable that such issues as women's
            rights should still exist, as do those of skin color or religion. Even
            worse is the denial of children's honor -- they are as honorable and
            valuable as adults. Size matters not.
            Sorry I was too choppy in my previous email, I thought I had sent a clear
            message.
            Of course I know you are a good person and someone who has espoused natural
            farming can't be bad, right?
            Like you I am a homo sapiens liberationist. I also call you a Nature
            liberationist..what I'm trying to be...
            Would you accept my excuses for not having been cristal clear?
            best

          • Jason Stewart
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 31, 2012
              Accepted why not crystal clear, but i got that anyway and know all that, and am active (elsewhere) on all that, too.
              You haven't explained though what, and i still don't know what, motivated you to talk about a very valid subject for the world in general, not for particularly me and not for particularly this Fukuoka Farming group, when there are much more effective and powerful outlets, beneficial forums and groups, eg. Avaaz, to join, for an outlet to contribute you words on that, than this group on that topic.
              This which is your valid subject for the world in general is largely wasted in this group and of much better benefit in the likes of Avaaz groups---in Australia we have a local part of Avaaz named GetUp which has been very effective and powerful in practise in this kind of subject---Yay! i, and you, can have some real benefit for the world in general on this kind of subject in groups like that, but not here. To make up some words for a philosophical truism in my mind: Trying to do good and say good words on behalf of people more than one's--self has no benefit to those people more than one's--self unless it does in fact result in a real benefit for those people more than one's--self. Avaaz for example has proven some real benefits to such people.

              And yes, i neglected to mention the more inclusive nature liberationist, which is inclusive of course of Homo sapiens, women, men, children, infants and in the womb with mum ... .

            • Ruthie Aquino
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 31, 2012
                It came from this sentence in your post : Next Monday, the United Nations
                will implement Resolution 65/309, adopted unanimously by the General
                Assembly in July 2011, placing “happiness” on the global agenda.
                Happiness seems to me to be the happiness of man as in male, because of all
                the things I said previously. That's why I talked about it here in this
                group, because I was reacting to your post.
                I don't think my voice will be heard or will matter if it is drowned in
                such a big setup as Avaaz and I am not a group militant by nature. I am a
                person with views that I voice out occasionally, it doesn't go farther than
                that. In this group I feel like I am talking to my small circle of friends.
                Anyway why should I speak up when more influential and powerful people are
                aware of those issues, I am an obscure person in some obscure part of
                France and no matter how much I shout I will not be heard. You know that
                as well as I do.
                Goodness is not something that can be made into a law or even a UN
                Resolution, and neither can happiness. You know that, too.
                I am not a pessimistic person, Jason. I believe that people have to be
                allowed to grow in a natural environment to have a good nature. Short of
                that the task is herculean. So...for as long as we have non-humane (is
                that the right word?) cities or towns or villages then we cannot have
                humane humans.
                I think this thought very much joins Fukuoka's own thoughts, and they must
                have even been spawned by his words in my mind, even though Fukuoka's words
                are mere reflections of our instinctively good thoughts, without "mere"
                being pejorative or negative here. As he said he observed. He must have
                observed all he said and organized them in a more legible form for the rest
                of us to take in. He also had that famous flash, and that flash came to me
                only after having read *One Straw Revolution* a couple of times. As of
                date I have read it four times and will read it again.
                Have a nice day dear friend.

              • Jason Stewart
                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 31, 2012
                  Gross National Happiness - Bhutan

                  not Gross National Product (GNP) which has illogic, incoherent mono–think and it's severe partiality delusions.

                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXJwNSkdTH0

                  furthermore read "The Road Back To Nature" by Masanobu Fukuoka

                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 1, 2012
                    I am reading *The Road Back to Nature *right now, Jason.
                    Here's one passage :
                    "It must be remembered that diseases and pest damage are self-defense
                    measures taken by Nature to restore balance when the natural order has been
                    disturbed. Pests are a divine warning that something has gone wrong
                    (...). People must realize that Nature's way of restoring an abnormal or
                    diseased body is to fight fire with fire, to use naturally occurring
                    disease and infestation to counter further disease and pest damage."
                    I must permanently mark it in my head.
                    Have a happy day.
                    RUTHIE

                    Message 9 of 12 , Apr 1, 2012
                      On 01/04/2012, at 5:02 PM, Ruthie Aquino wrote:

                      > I am reading *The Road Back to Nature *

                      That's good... .
                      (no time now!)

                    • Jason Stewart
                      Message 10 of 12 , Apr 2, 2012
                        i suggest you read books by venerable Tenzin Palmo (formerly Dianne Perry), and he one about her "Cave in the Snow".
                        Bhutan, the UN and i are not talking about samsaric happiness.

                        Message 11 of 12 , Apr 3, 2012
                          Dear all friends

                          For two examples with quotations, available to read for free:

                          Cave in the Snow: a western woman's quest for enlightenment
                          by Vicki Mackenzie
                          1998
                          "The story of Tenzin Palmo, an Englishwoman, the daughter of a fishmonger from London's East End, who spent 12 years alone in a cave 13,000 feet up in the Himalayas and became a world-renowned spiritual leader and champion of the right of women to achieve spiritual enlightenment."
                          here: → http://books.google.com.au/books?id=5pK5iqfS_ZcC&pg=PA50&lpg=PA50&dq=Tenzin+Palmo+%22samsaric+happiness%22&source=bl&ots=OAJfMD-8jB&sig=WgUstkzCpBUNoKGsCF30L7faM8E&hl=en#v=onepage&q=Tenzin%20Palmo%20%22samsaric%20happiness%22&f=false
                          "
                          There were other enticements. Back in Dalhousie conditions were dreadful. Khamtrul Rinpoche's [Buddhist professor] monastery was not yet rebuilt and everybody was living in tents. It was frequently knee-deep in mud, there were no toilets and no drinking water on tap either. The Japanese boyfriend's parents, on the other hand, had just moved in to a new traditional house and had extended an invitation for Tenzin Palmo to stay. She knew she would love it. The inner struggle intensified. Slowly, however, the decision was being made.
                          'I thought, in ten years' time which would I regret the most, the chance of being with the guru [Buddhist professor] and practising dharma or the chance of a little samsaric happiness? And it was so obvious! One has gone through worldly pleasures over and over again and where has it got one? How could that compare to the chance of being with the lama?' she said.
                          " -- page 50

                          Reflections on a Mountain Lake: Teachings on Practical Buddhism
                          by Ani Tenzin Palmo
                          2002
                          here: → http://books.google.com.au/books?id=ctXt0SCEjxAC&pg=PA61&source=gbs_toc_r&cad=4#v=onepage&q&f=false

                          --what i mean is we read this chapter:
                          THE SIX REALMS
                          of: Reflections on a Mountain Lake: Teachings on Practical Buddhism
                          by Ani Tenzin Palmo
                          2002
                          --up to the end of the paragraphs of this most relevant example quotation below:
                          "
                          ... ["This" below refers to that subject on the previous page]
                          This is a bit like the California life-stye, I always think. Beautiful homes, beautiful cars, beautiful children, hopefully beautiful bodies, everybody doing yoga or tai chi, everybody on healthful diets, everybody thinking positive thoughts.
                          Above this there are many levels, each more rarefied and more refined than the one below. Finally, we come to the realms that are the result of advanced meditational abilities. They correspond to the various meditational levels. In those realms the gods are androgynous, neither male nor female. After this there are the formless realms, which correspond to the formless attainments like infinite space, infinite consciousness, neither perception nor non-perception, and so on. But however rarefied these states become, they are still within the realm of birth and death. However long we stay there, the karma which created the causes for rebirth there will eventually be exhausted, and we will have to descend again.
                          From the Buddhist viewpoint, the heavenly realms are not considered such good places to be reborn. Life is so pleasurable there that we have very little motivation to make spiritual progress. Instead, we just use up our good karma, which means that eventually we're left only with the bad. We saw that in the lower realms [read earlier pages], there's too much misery for beings to think about spiritual progress, but in the higher realms, there's too much happiness. Both realms present equal impediments to spiritual growth.
                          California is like the deva realm (heaven). Many Tibetans who come from India are convinced of this. But of course any realm which is wholly focused on youth, beauty, joy, and light is very fragile because life isn't all youth, beauty joy, and light. Those who deny the shadow are in a very insecure and precarious position. To be exclusively in a deva realm and not recognize its precarious nature is a form of gross self-delusion. I remember a very nice lady from California who was a yoga teacher and a masseuse. When I first met her she was in her fifties, but she looked very youthful because she ate all the right things and did all the right kinds of exercise. She came to Nepal and was always talking about joy, love, and light. One lama used to call her the Bliss Cloud. Then she got sick. Everybody gets sick in Nepal. That brought her down from her cloud. Then she began to develop genuine compassion. It is hard to develop true compassion when you are continually blocking out all suffering from your own life.
                          " -- page 67
                          (Of course we may want to read the whole of both these books---which i would like you all to do---as it will further all of your appreciations of late Fukuoka Masanobu sensei's life in farming and philosophy, especially in the places where he often uses Buddhist terms in his writing):

                          Message 12 of 12 , Apr 4, 2012
                            Vandana Shiva: “People should see that corporations have abandoned them long ago.” (video)

                            http://www.occupymonsanto360.org/2012/04/04/vandana-shiva-people-should-see-that-corporations-have-abandoned-them-long-ago-video/

                            Getting serious.
                            Vandana Shiva, woman, providing serious genuine solutions to serious global problems, not some comfortable-living westerner greenie-man or feminist (like some people we all know of), who's wingeing and carping on and on about world problems while providing no serious and no genuine solutions. In my point to make an example of them, they if providing anything then providing only commercial business marketing of tokenistic pretend solutions---trying very hard with their marketing to misdirect other well meaning naive westerners who are also concerned about those problems.
                            Getting serious. Gandhi, also, was serious.
                            Not some weasel words to return to comfortable and passive consumer life, ignoring our responsibility, each of our responsibilities to get serious, each and all of us.