Re: [fukuoka_farming] Natural Farming at Children's school in Thailand

  • Azman Kader Rawther
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 5, 2002
      Bob Monie,

      Thank you for the heads up of the Moon Baan Dek School. think I'll make a trip up to Thailand to marvel at their efforts.

      Azman Kader Rawther

    • Robin, Maya, or Napi
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 6, 2002
        Sorry to be giddy. The thanks are to Mr. Robert who posted the
        link to Moo Baan Dek. The message quoted below is from & about our
        Circle School. We are so happily jumbly to see our reflection in a
        school around the world from us in Thailand. Both Buddhist founders,
        both Summerhill child-led-learning, both natural gardeners, both
        cooperative dormitory style sleep-over programs. & Fukuoka-san
        himself has had a hand in rearing their program!
        The question about your (our, thank you for writing that welcome)
        website is: will there be a place to collect works of particular
        usefulness to early childhood educators? Not to design that children
        playing on children's' homework research sites will come to it, but
        that teachers who are trying to slip such an effort into an embalmed
        curriculum might find life there. Embalmed curriculum is not my
        coinage, Reggio Emilia, our Italian method, uses the term for teaching
        without following what each child is observing in their own natural
        season. Reggio teachers would love to build with the work of Fukuoka,
        trusting in the value of lessons from observation. Many 'teachers'
        gardening sites are written in a way to suppress any connection with
        following the nature of the child or of the garden.
        Again, Sir, please do not see this question as to push for the
        impossible or inappropriate. What you have already done is remarkably
        fresh & continuously useful. Just thank you for your kind
        consideration of the request.
        Napi Ippolito, Principal
        Circle School

        Larry Haftl wrote:

        > Robin, Maya, or Napi wrote:
        >
        > >Our visit to this site has been nourishment through our deepest
        > >roots. We began as a Tibetan Buddhist based school cooperative,
        > >modeled after English Summerhill! Circle School thanks you for
        > giving
        > >us this taste of the broader world. May we ask if there is a cute
        > >little button anywhere on the group site that could link stories of
        >
        > >such sister schools on the Mother Earth (we draw it on paper as the
        >
        > >circle school), somehow connecting Children & Sustainable
        > >Gardening/Natural Farming? Not that I am poised to send in scads
        > of
        > >links to children's gardening sites, more that the children's
        > >gardening sites need this link to Fukuoka-San.
        >
        > This confuses me. Is it something that came from the school in
        > Thailand's
        > website, or something you yourself wrote and are involved in?
        >
        > Larry Haftl
        > larry@...
        > http://larryhaftl.com/fukuoka
        > http://FukuokaNaturalFarming.org

      • Larry Haftl
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 6, 2002
          At Thursday, 07 November 2002, Napi wrote:

          >The message quoted below is from & about our Circle School.

          Hi Napi,
          My original confusion was whether you were asking about putting something
          on our site, or whether someone from the Thai school was talking
          about their website.

          Personally, I am in favor of just about anyting that helps kids learn
          and grow through mechanisms other than the social indoctrination
          process commonly referred to as "school".

          > The question about your (our, thank you for writing that welcome)
          >website is: will there be a place to collect works of particular
          >usefulness to early childhood educators? Not to design that children
          >playing on children's' homework research sites will come to it, but
          >that teachers who are trying to slip such an effort into an embalmed
          >curriculum might find life there.

          I can make the place if you can make the content and active participants
          of this list generally think it's a good idea (if they don't, I'd
          be willing to make a place for it on my own website). It's easy for
          me to turn text and graphics into webpages, it would not be easy
          for me to write the text or create the graphics. You would have to
          do that.

          >Many 'teachers'
          >gardening sites are written in a way to suppress any connection with
          >following the nature of the child or of the garden.

          So are many "teachers" non-gardening sites, and curiculum come to
          think of it.

          >Again, Sir, please do not see this question as to push for the
          >impossible or inappropriate.

          Always feel free to question and push. Nature and the webmaster will
          let you know when something is really impossible or inappropriate.

          One reservation though... would I have to make the button "cute"?
          I've never talked "cute" to a kid in my life. Always thought there
          were just people with limited experience temporarily trapped in very
          short bodies.

          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 6, 2002
            That was as cute as a button ever needs to be. G'night to all who
            are still at work.