Re: [fukuoka_farming] Gliricidia seeds & Coconut fibre

  • Harish Amur
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 20, 2012
      Kgs worth of seeds is quite difficult to collect and send. I can share a
      few hundred grams if you are interested with of course no guarantee that
      these may work, as I have not experience in germinating these seeds.

      Also please share your postal address.

      Regards,
      Harish

      On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 2:47 PM, Ramki Bondada <bondada@...> wrote:

      > Dear Harish,
      >
      > I too Need seeds atleast 2 kg.
      > Also need help on how to harvest Gliricidia seeds ?
      >
      > Ramki
      >

      > To: fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com
      > From: kadakolla@...
      > Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2012 21:52:55 +0530
      > Subject: Re: [fukuoka_farming] Gliricidia seeds & Coconut fibre
      >

      > Dear Harish,
      >
      > I too need seed. How to gett them please let me know.
      >
      > Thanks a lot for your information.
      >
      > Regards,
      > Kumaraswamy
      >
      > On 3/9/12, Harish Amur <harishamur@...> wrote:
      > > After a few requests last year, I thought it prudent to preserve
      > Gliricidia
      > > seeds this year. There is an amazing amount of fruiting this year, which
      > > means that we should have loads of seeds. Anyone interested, please let
      > me
      > > know. I shall arrange for some to be sent.
      > >
      > > An honest confession: I have not grown Gliricidia plants from seeds. It
      > is
      > > not a practice here either, as the plant grows very well with cut
      > branches.
      > > So, it would be your own research and effort to grow from seeds :) It
      > > is *Gliricidia
      > > sepium, *the pink flower variety.
      > >
      > > *A thing about Coconut fibre:*
      > >
      > > Last year I started experimenting with coconut fibre as we have 5 giant
      > > coconut trees in our house and we get lots of coconut. The fibre (or jute
      > > or whatever is its name) is usually thrown or burnt. I tried using it in
      > > pots, as the penultimate layer. It has yielded very good results. This
      > > fibre is very good in retaining water/moisture. Helps roots spread
      > easily.
      > > Is a good home for earthworms (yes, I had put a few in the pots). It is
      > not
      > > really acidic as the internet claims it to be. For if it was that acidic
      > > the plants should have not grown as well as they did. And a good thing is
      > > that it does not rot very soon, providing its services for months
      > together.
      > > I have also mulched a mango tree with this stuff and the tree is in a
      > very
      > > good health this year.
      > >
      > > Regards,
      > > Harish

      > --
      > Thanks and Regards,
      > Kumaraswamy

    • aks
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 18, 2013
        Hi Harish,
        I need some Gliricidia seeds, wondering if you have the seeds this year too, let me know.
        Thanks,
        Alok

        --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, Harish Amur <harishamur@...> wrote:

        > After a few requests last year, I thought it prudent to preserve Gliricidia
        > seeds this year. There is an amazing amount of fruiting this year, which
        > means that we should have loads of seeds. Anyone interested, please let me
        > know. I shall arrange for some to be sent.
        >
        > An honest confession: I have not grown Gliricidia plants from seeds. It is
        > not a practice here either, as the plant grows very well with cut branches.
        > So, it would be your own research and effort to grow from seeds :) It
        > is *Gliricidia
        > sepium, *the pink flower variety.
        >
        > *A thing about Coconut fibre:*
        >
        > Last year I started experimenting with coconut fibre as we have 5 giant
        > coconut trees in our house and we get lots of coconut. The fibre (or jute
        > or whatever is its name) is usually thrown or burnt. I tried using it in
        > pots, as the penultimate layer. It has yielded very good results. This
        > fibre is very good in retaining water/moisture. Helps roots spread easily.
        > Is a good home for earthworms (yes, I had put a few in the pots). It is not
        > really acidic as the internet claims it to be. For if it was that acidic
        > the plants should have not grown as well as they did. And a good thing is
        > that it does not rot very soon, providing its services for months together.
        > I have also mulched a mango tree with this stuff and the tree is in a very
        > good health this year.
        >
        > Regards,
        > Harish

      • Harish Amur
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 8 8:37 PM
          Sorry. Somehow I missed noticing this email. I did not collect seeds this
          time, so can't help you. However, I am sharing with you a site
          http://www.treeseedsindia.com/green-manure.htm which can help you with the
          seeds. I have ordered seeds from them. I found them reliable.

          Regards,
          Harish

          On 18 June 2013 13:22, aks <alok26sinha@...> wrote:

          > **
          >

          > Hi Harish,
          > I need some Gliricidia seeds, wondering if you have the seeds this year
          > too, let me know.
          > Thanks,
          > Alok
          >

          > --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, Harish Amur <harishamur@...>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > After a few requests last year, I thought it prudent to preserve
          > Gliricidia
          > > seeds this year. There is an amazing amount of fruiting this year, which
          > > means that we should have loads of seeds. Anyone interested, please let
          > me
          > > know. I shall arrange for some to be sent.
          > >
          > > An honest confession: I have not grown Gliricidia plants from seeds. It
          > is
          > > not a practice here either, as the plant grows very well with cut
          > branches.
          > > So, it would be your own research and effort to grow from seeds :) It
          > > is *Gliricidia
          > > sepium, *the pink flower variety.
          > >
          > > *A thing about Coconut fibre:*
          > >
          > > Last year I started experimenting with coconut fibre as we have 5 giant
          > > coconut trees in our house and we get lots of coconut. The fibre (or jute
          > > or whatever is its name) is usually thrown or burnt. I tried using it in
          > > pots, as the penultimate layer. It has yielded very good results. This
          > > fibre is very good in retaining water/moisture. Helps roots spread
          > easily.
          > > Is a good home for earthworms (yes, I had put a few in the pots). It is
          > not
          > > really acidic as the internet claims it to be. For if it was that acidic
          > > the plants should have not grown as well as they did. And a good thing is
          > > that it does not rot very soon, providing its services for months
          > together.
          > > I have also mulched a mango tree with this stuff and the tree is in a
          > very
          > > good health this year.
          > >
          > > Regards,
          > > Harish