RE: [fukuoka_farming] Gliricidia seeds & Coconut fibre

  • Ramki Bondada
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 12, 2012
      Dear Harish,

      I too Need seeds atleast 2 kg.
      Also need help on how to harvest Gliricidia seeds ?

      Ramki

      To: fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com
      From: kadakolla@...
      Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2012 21:52:55 +0530
      Subject: Re: [fukuoka_farming] Gliricidia seeds & Coconut fibre

      Dear Harish,

      I too need seed. How to gett them please let me know.

      Thanks a lot for your information.

      Regards,
      Kumaraswamy

      On 3/9/12, Harish Amur <harishamur@...> wrote:
      > After a few requests last year, I thought it prudent to preserve Gliricidia
      > seeds this year. There is an amazing amount of fruiting this year, which
      > means that we should have loads of seeds. Anyone interested, please let me
      > know. I shall arrange for some to be sent.
      >
      > An honest confession: I have not grown Gliricidia plants from seeds. It is
      > not a practice here either, as the plant grows very well with cut branches.
      > So, it would be your own research and effort to grow from seeds :) It
      > is *Gliricidia
      > sepium, *the pink flower variety.
      >
      > *A thing about Coconut fibre:*
      >
      > Last year I started experimenting with coconut fibre as we have 5 giant
      > coconut trees in our house and we get lots of coconut. The fibre (or jute
      > or whatever is its name) is usually thrown or burnt. I tried using it in
      > pots, as the penultimate layer. It has yielded very good results. This
      > fibre is very good in retaining water/moisture. Helps roots spread easily.
      > Is a good home for earthworms (yes, I had put a few in the pots). It is not
      > really acidic as the internet claims it to be. For if it was that acidic
      > the plants should have not grown as well as they did. And a good thing is
      > that it does not rot very soon, providing its services for months together.
      > I have also mulched a mango tree with this stuff and the tree is in a very
      > good health this year.
      >
      > Regards,
      > Harish

      Thanks and Regards,
      Kumaraswamy

    • Harish Amur
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 20, 2012
        Kgs worth of seeds is quite difficult to collect and send. I can share a
        few hundred grams if you are interested with of course no guarantee that
        these may work, as I have not experience in germinating these seeds.

        Also please share your postal address.

        Regards,
        Harish

        On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 2:47 PM, Ramki Bondada <bondada@...> wrote:

        > Dear Harish,
        >
        > I too Need seeds atleast 2 kg.
        > Also need help on how to harvest Gliricidia seeds ?
        >
        > Ramki
        >

        > To: fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com
        > From: kadakolla@...
        > Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2012 21:52:55 +0530
        > Subject: Re: [fukuoka_farming] Gliricidia seeds & Coconut fibre
        >

        > Dear Harish,
        >
        > I too need seed. How to gett them please let me know.
        >
        > Thanks a lot for your information.
        >
        > Regards,
        > Kumaraswamy
        >
        > On 3/9/12, Harish Amur <harishamur@...> wrote:
        > > After a few requests last year, I thought it prudent to preserve
        > Gliricidia
        > > seeds this year. There is an amazing amount of fruiting this year, which
        > > means that we should have loads of seeds. Anyone interested, please let
        > me
        > > know. I shall arrange for some to be sent.
        > >
        > > An honest confession: I have not grown Gliricidia plants from seeds. It
        > is
        > > not a practice here either, as the plant grows very well with cut
        > branches.
        > > So, it would be your own research and effort to grow from seeds :) It
        > > is *Gliricidia
        > > sepium, *the pink flower variety.
        > >
        > > *A thing about Coconut fibre:*
        > >
        > > Last year I started experimenting with coconut fibre as we have 5 giant
        > > coconut trees in our house and we get lots of coconut. The fibre (or jute
        > > or whatever is its name) is usually thrown or burnt. I tried using it in
        > > pots, as the penultimate layer. It has yielded very good results. This
        > > fibre is very good in retaining water/moisture. Helps roots spread
        > easily.
        > > Is a good home for earthworms (yes, I had put a few in the pots). It is
        > not
        > > really acidic as the internet claims it to be. For if it was that acidic
        > > the plants should have not grown as well as they did. And a good thing is
        > > that it does not rot very soon, providing its services for months
        > together.
        > > I have also mulched a mango tree with this stuff and the tree is in a
        > very
        > > good health this year.
        > >
        > > Regards,
        > > Harish

        > --
        > Thanks and Regards,
        > Kumaraswamy

      • aks
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 18, 2013
          Hi Harish,
          I need some Gliricidia seeds, wondering if you have the seeds this year too, let me know.
          Thanks,
          Alok

          --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, Harish Amur <harishamur@...> wrote:

          > After a few requests last year, I thought it prudent to preserve Gliricidia
          > seeds this year. There is an amazing amount of fruiting this year, which
          > means that we should have loads of seeds. Anyone interested, please let me
          > know. I shall arrange for some to be sent.
          >
          > An honest confession: I have not grown Gliricidia plants from seeds. It is
          > not a practice here either, as the plant grows very well with cut branches.
          > So, it would be your own research and effort to grow from seeds :) It
          > is *Gliricidia
          > sepium, *the pink flower variety.
          >
          > *A thing about Coconut fibre:*
          >
          > Last year I started experimenting with coconut fibre as we have 5 giant
          > coconut trees in our house and we get lots of coconut. The fibre (or jute
          > or whatever is its name) is usually thrown or burnt. I tried using it in
          > pots, as the penultimate layer. It has yielded very good results. This
          > fibre is very good in retaining water/moisture. Helps roots spread easily.
          > Is a good home for earthworms (yes, I had put a few in the pots). It is not
          > really acidic as the internet claims it to be. For if it was that acidic
          > the plants should have not grown as well as they did. And a good thing is
          > that it does not rot very soon, providing its services for months together.
          > I have also mulched a mango tree with this stuff and the tree is in a very
          > good health this year.
          >
          > Regards,
          > Harish

        • Harish Amur
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 8, 2013
            Sorry. Somehow I missed noticing this email. I did not collect seeds this
            time, so can't help you. However, I am sharing with you a site
            http://www.treeseedsindia.com/green-manure.htm which can help you with the
            seeds. I have ordered seeds from them. I found them reliable.

            Regards,
            Harish

            On 18 June 2013 13:22, aks <alok26sinha@...> wrote:

            > **
            >

            > Hi Harish,
            > I need some Gliricidia seeds, wondering if you have the seeds this year
            > too, let me know.
            > Thanks,
            > Alok
            >

            > --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, Harish Amur <harishamur@...>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > After a few requests last year, I thought it prudent to preserve
            > Gliricidia
            > > seeds this year. There is an amazing amount of fruiting this year, which
            > > means that we should have loads of seeds. Anyone interested, please let
            > me
            > > know. I shall arrange for some to be sent.
            > >
            > > An honest confession: I have not grown Gliricidia plants from seeds. It
            > is
            > > not a practice here either, as the plant grows very well with cut
            > branches.
            > > So, it would be your own research and effort to grow from seeds :) It
            > > is *Gliricidia
            > > sepium, *the pink flower variety.
            > >
            > > *A thing about Coconut fibre:*
            > >
            > > Last year I started experimenting with coconut fibre as we have 5 giant
            > > coconut trees in our house and we get lots of coconut. The fibre (or jute
            > > or whatever is its name) is usually thrown or burnt. I tried using it in
            > > pots, as the penultimate layer. It has yielded very good results. This
            > > fibre is very good in retaining water/moisture. Helps roots spread
            > easily.
            > > Is a good home for earthworms (yes, I had put a few in the pots). It is
            > not
            > > really acidic as the internet claims it to be. For if it was that acidic
            > > the plants should have not grown as well as they did. And a good thing is
            > > that it does not rot very soon, providing its services for months
            > together.
            > > I have also mulched a mango tree with this stuff and the tree is in a
            > very
            > > good health this year.
            > >
            > > Regards,
            > > Harish