Re: Gliricidia seeds & Coconut fibre

  • Daniel
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 10, 2012
      Word of warning about Coconut fiber.

      I got, after transplanting my seedlings (with potting soil with cocofibre), loads of termites around the roots of my young trees. It killed or retarded the growth of a great many.

      Hence I do NOT use it anymore as an admixture in potting soil. It does make for good superficially spread garden mulch, though.

      Daniel

      --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, Boovarahan Srinivasan <offtown@...> wrote:

      > Hi !
      > I may need the glyricidia seeds for my farm of size 400 ft by 150 feet.
      > thanks.
      >
      > On Fri, Mar 9, 2012 at 10:24 AM, Harish Amur <harishamur@...> wrote:
      >
      > > **
      > >

      > > After a few requests last year, I thought it prudent to preserve Gliricidia
      > > seeds this year. There is an amazing amount of fruiting this year, which
      > > means that we should have loads of seeds. Anyone interested, please let me
      > > know. I shall arrange for some to be sent.
      > >
      > > An honest confession: I have not grown Gliricidia plants from seeds. It is
      > > not a practice here either, as the plant grows very well with cut branches.
      > > So, it would be your own research and effort to grow from seeds :) It
      > > is *Gliricidia
      > > sepium, *the pink flower variety.
      > >
      > > *A thing about Coconut fibre:*
      > >
      > > Last year I started experimenting with coconut fibre as we have 5 giant
      > > coconut trees in our house and we get lots of coconut. The fibre (or jute
      > > or whatever is its name) is usually thrown or burnt. I tried using it in
      > > pots, as the penultimate layer. It has yielded very good results. This
      > > fibre is very good in retaining water/moisture. Helps roots spread easily.
      > > Is a good home for earthworms (yes, I had put a few in the pots). It is not
      > > really acidic as the internet claims it to be. For if it was that acidic
      > > the plants should have not grown as well as they did. And a good thing is
      > > that it does not rot very soon, providing its services for months together.
      > > I have also mulched a mango tree with this stuff and the tree is in a very
      > > good health this year.
      > >
      > > Regards,
      > > Harish

      > --
      > Boovarahan S
      > Chennai.
      > 09962662717 (Vodafone) , 08825889492 (Videocon)

    • Boovarahan Srinivasan
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 10, 2012
        Coconut fibre is best used as cover mulch to retain moisture around
        the root zone.
        I have done this with my mango sapling on the ground and it is doing fine.

      • Kumar Swamy
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 11, 2012
          Dear Harish,

          I too need seed. How to gett them please let me know.

          Thanks a lot for your information.

          Regards,
          Kumaraswamy

          On 3/9/12, Harish Amur <harishamur@...> wrote:
          > After a few requests last year, I thought it prudent to preserve Gliricidia
          > seeds this year. There is an amazing amount of fruiting this year, which
          > means that we should have loads of seeds. Anyone interested, please let me
          > know. I shall arrange for some to be sent.
          >
          > An honest confession: I have not grown Gliricidia plants from seeds. It is
          > not a practice here either, as the plant grows very well with cut branches.
          > So, it would be your own research and effort to grow from seeds :) It
          > is *Gliricidia
          > sepium, *the pink flower variety.
          >
          > *A thing about Coconut fibre:*
          >
          > Last year I started experimenting with coconut fibre as we have 5 giant
          > coconut trees in our house and we get lots of coconut. The fibre (or jute
          > or whatever is its name) is usually thrown or burnt. I tried using it in
          > pots, as the penultimate layer. It has yielded very good results. This
          > fibre is very good in retaining water/moisture. Helps roots spread easily.
          > Is a good home for earthworms (yes, I had put a few in the pots). It is not
          > really acidic as the internet claims it to be. For if it was that acidic
          > the plants should have not grown as well as they did. And a good thing is
          > that it does not rot very soon, providing its services for months together.
          > I have also mulched a mango tree with this stuff and the tree is in a very
          > good health this year.
          >
          > Regards,
          > Harish

          Thanks and Regards,
          Kumaraswamy
        • Ramki Bondada
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 12, 2012
            Dear Harish,

            I too Need seeds atleast 2 kg.
            Also need help on how to harvest Gliricidia seeds ?

            Ramki

            To: fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com
            From: kadakolla@...
            Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2012 21:52:55 +0530
            Subject: Re: [fukuoka_farming] Gliricidia seeds & Coconut fibre

            Dear Harish,

            I too need seed. How to gett them please let me know.

            Thanks a lot for your information.

            Regards,
            Kumaraswamy

            On 3/9/12, Harish Amur <harishamur@...> wrote:
            > After a few requests last year, I thought it prudent to preserve Gliricidia
            > seeds this year. There is an amazing amount of fruiting this year, which
            > means that we should have loads of seeds. Anyone interested, please let me
            > know. I shall arrange for some to be sent.
            >
            > An honest confession: I have not grown Gliricidia plants from seeds. It is
            > not a practice here either, as the plant grows very well with cut branches.
            > So, it would be your own research and effort to grow from seeds :) It
            > is *Gliricidia
            > sepium, *the pink flower variety.
            >
            > *A thing about Coconut fibre:*
            >
            > Last year I started experimenting with coconut fibre as we have 5 giant
            > coconut trees in our house and we get lots of coconut. The fibre (or jute
            > or whatever is its name) is usually thrown or burnt. I tried using it in
            > pots, as the penultimate layer. It has yielded very good results. This
            > fibre is very good in retaining water/moisture. Helps roots spread easily.
            > Is a good home for earthworms (yes, I had put a few in the pots). It is not
            > really acidic as the internet claims it to be. For if it was that acidic
            > the plants should have not grown as well as they did. And a good thing is
            > that it does not rot very soon, providing its services for months together.
            > I have also mulched a mango tree with this stuff and the tree is in a very
            > good health this year.
            >
            > Regards,
            > Harish

            Thanks and Regards,
            Kumaraswamy

          • Harish Amur
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 20, 2012
              Kgs worth of seeds is quite difficult to collect and send. I can share a
              few hundred grams if you are interested with of course no guarantee that
              these may work, as I have not experience in germinating these seeds.

              Also please share your postal address.

              Regards,
              Harish

              On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 2:47 PM, Ramki Bondada <bondada@...> wrote:

              > Dear Harish,
              >
              > I too Need seeds atleast 2 kg.
              > Also need help on how to harvest Gliricidia seeds ?
              >
              > Ramki
              >

              > To: fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com
              > From: kadakolla@...
              > Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2012 21:52:55 +0530
              > Subject: Re: [fukuoka_farming] Gliricidia seeds & Coconut fibre
              >

              > Dear Harish,
              >
              > I too need seed. How to gett them please let me know.
              >
              > Thanks a lot for your information.
              >
              > Regards,
              > Kumaraswamy
              >
              > On 3/9/12, Harish Amur <harishamur@...> wrote:
              > > After a few requests last year, I thought it prudent to preserve
              > Gliricidia
              > > seeds this year. There is an amazing amount of fruiting this year, which
              > > means that we should have loads of seeds. Anyone interested, please let
              > me
              > > know. I shall arrange for some to be sent.
              > >
              > > An honest confession: I have not grown Gliricidia plants from seeds. It
              > is
              > > not a practice here either, as the plant grows very well with cut
              > branches.
              > > So, it would be your own research and effort to grow from seeds :) It
              > > is *Gliricidia
              > > sepium, *the pink flower variety.
              > >
              > > *A thing about Coconut fibre:*
              > >
              > > Last year I started experimenting with coconut fibre as we have 5 giant
              > > coconut trees in our house and we get lots of coconut. The fibre (or jute
              > > or whatever is its name) is usually thrown or burnt. I tried using it in
              > > pots, as the penultimate layer. It has yielded very good results. This
              > > fibre is very good in retaining water/moisture. Helps roots spread
              > easily.
              > > Is a good home for earthworms (yes, I had put a few in the pots). It is
              > not
              > > really acidic as the internet claims it to be. For if it was that acidic
              > > the plants should have not grown as well as they did. And a good thing is
              > > that it does not rot very soon, providing its services for months
              > together.
              > > I have also mulched a mango tree with this stuff and the tree is in a
              > very
              > > good health this year.
              > >
              > > Regards,
              > > Harish

              > --
              > Thanks and Regards,
              > Kumaraswamy

            • aks
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 18, 2013
                Hi Harish,
                I need some Gliricidia seeds, wondering if you have the seeds this year too, let me know.
                Thanks,
                Alok

                --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, Harish Amur <harishamur@...> wrote:

                > After a few requests last year, I thought it prudent to preserve Gliricidia
                > seeds this year. There is an amazing amount of fruiting this year, which
                > means that we should have loads of seeds. Anyone interested, please let me
                > know. I shall arrange for some to be sent.
                >
                > An honest confession: I have not grown Gliricidia plants from seeds. It is
                > not a practice here either, as the plant grows very well with cut branches.
                > So, it would be your own research and effort to grow from seeds :) It
                > is *Gliricidia
                > sepium, *the pink flower variety.
                >
                > *A thing about Coconut fibre:*
                >
                > Last year I started experimenting with coconut fibre as we have 5 giant
                > coconut trees in our house and we get lots of coconut. The fibre (or jute
                > or whatever is its name) is usually thrown or burnt. I tried using it in
                > pots, as the penultimate layer. It has yielded very good results. This
                > fibre is very good in retaining water/moisture. Helps roots spread easily.
                > Is a good home for earthworms (yes, I had put a few in the pots). It is not
                > really acidic as the internet claims it to be. For if it was that acidic
                > the plants should have not grown as well as they did. And a good thing is
                > that it does not rot very soon, providing its services for months together.
                > I have also mulched a mango tree with this stuff and the tree is in a very
                > good health this year.
                >
                > Regards,
                > Harish

              • Harish Amur
                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 8, 2013
                  Sorry. Somehow I missed noticing this email. I did not collect seeds this
                  time, so can't help you. However, I am sharing with you a site
                  http://www.treeseedsindia.com/green-manure.htm which can help you with the
                  seeds. I have ordered seeds from them. I found them reliable.

                  Regards,
                  Harish

                  On 18 June 2013 13:22, aks <alok26sinha@...> wrote:

                  > **
                  >

                  > Hi Harish,
                  > I need some Gliricidia seeds, wondering if you have the seeds this year
                  > too, let me know.
                  > Thanks,
                  > Alok
                  >

                  > --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, Harish Amur <harishamur@...>
                  > wrote:
                  > >
                  > > After a few requests last year, I thought it prudent to preserve
                  > Gliricidia
                  > > seeds this year. There is an amazing amount of fruiting this year, which
                  > > means that we should have loads of seeds. Anyone interested, please let
                  > me
                  > > know. I shall arrange for some to be sent.
                  > >
                  > > An honest confession: I have not grown Gliricidia plants from seeds. It
                  > is
                  > > not a practice here either, as the plant grows very well with cut
                  > branches.
                  > > So, it would be your own research and effort to grow from seeds :) It
                  > > is *Gliricidia
                  > > sepium, *the pink flower variety.
                  > >
                  > > *A thing about Coconut fibre:*
                  > >
                  > > Last year I started experimenting with coconut fibre as we have 5 giant
                  > > coconut trees in our house and we get lots of coconut. The fibre (or jute
                  > > or whatever is its name) is usually thrown or burnt. I tried using it in
                  > > pots, as the penultimate layer. It has yielded very good results. This
                  > > fibre is very good in retaining water/moisture. Helps roots spread
                  > easily.
                  > > Is a good home for earthworms (yes, I had put a few in the pots). It is
                  > not
                  > > really acidic as the internet claims it to be. For if it was that acidic
                  > > the plants should have not grown as well as they did. And a good thing is
                  > > that it does not rot very soon, providing its services for months
                  > together.
                  > > I have also mulched a mango tree with this stuff and the tree is in a
                  > very
                  > > good health this year.
                  > >
                  > > Regards,
                  > > Harish