about rice seeds

  • dobighazameen
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 8, 2012
      dear friends,
      greetings !!
      In our farm our rice field is about 1.20 acres & they are in four parts.
      The local variety of rice which i've been growing is called 'Tambda
      saal'.
      I want to grow a few more different varieties & be a 'seed saver' . The
      area was famous for a variety called'ambe mohur' & kaala saal, i've been
      searching with local farmers to get about 25kgs each for growing this
      coming season..... but has not been successful yet...
      Any suggestions of anyone whom i can contact near pune for seeds ?
      regards,
      arjun

    • Nandan Palaparambil
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 9, 2012
        Arjun,

        Nice to see more people coming for traditional seeds.

        I have put a list of traditional seed savers in the blog. You can contact Debal Deb or Natwar Sarangi or Prakash Raghuvamshi and hopefully they will be able to redirect you to some contacts, hopefully !!!

        http://farming-experiments.blogspot.in/2012/02/traditional-rice-seed-savers.html

        I am also bought some traditional varieties from Agricultural university and some other contacts - varieties are called - Kalladiaryan, Thavalakannan, Chuvanna modan. Two of them are upland variety and does not require standing water and not much manure. If we apply cow dung, compost etc ( I don't have any of these, anyway !!) they will lodge during flowering stage. So scientists recommended me not to apply, being a natural farmer, I was happy to hear that.

        Trying out for two more varieties - Sivappu kuruvikkar and Kudrat-2 (Prakash Raghuvamshi's)

        Regards,
        Nandan