Re: [fukuoka_farming] Gliricidia seeds & Coconut fibre

  • Boovarahan Srinivasan
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 9, 2012
      Hi !
      I may need the glyricidia seeds for my farm of size 400 ft by 150 feet.
      thanks.

      On Fri, Mar 9, 2012 at 10:24 AM, Harish Amur <harishamur@...> wrote:

      > **
      >

      > After a few requests last year, I thought it prudent to preserve Gliricidia
      > seeds this year. There is an amazing amount of fruiting this year, which
      > means that we should have loads of seeds. Anyone interested, please let me
      > know. I shall arrange for some to be sent.
      >
      > An honest confession: I have not grown Gliricidia plants from seeds. It is
      > not a practice here either, as the plant grows very well with cut branches.
      > So, it would be your own research and effort to grow from seeds :) It
      > is *Gliricidia
      > sepium, *the pink flower variety.
      >
      > *A thing about Coconut fibre:*
      >
      > Last year I started experimenting with coconut fibre as we have 5 giant
      > coconut trees in our house and we get lots of coconut. The fibre (or jute
      > or whatever is its name) is usually thrown or burnt. I tried using it in
      > pots, as the penultimate layer. It has yielded very good results. This
      > fibre is very good in retaining water/moisture. Helps roots spread easily.
      > Is a good home for earthworms (yes, I had put a few in the pots). It is not
      > really acidic as the internet claims it to be. For if it was that acidic
      > the plants should have not grown as well as they did. And a good thing is
      > that it does not rot very soon, providing its services for months together.
      > I have also mulched a mango tree with this stuff and the tree is in a very
      > good health this year.
      >
      > Regards,
      > Harish

      Boovarahan S
      Chennai.
      09962662717 (Vodafone) , 08825889492 (Videocon)

    • Nandan Palaparambil
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 9, 2012
        Glyricidea from seeds may take long time to reach usable height (for cutting and mulching), while from cut branches within a year itself they can be used.

        Just to add to the coconut fiber information..I also use the full coconut fiber and use it for mulching the coconut tree base along with their leaves. That is the only input going to the coconut trees and they are doing good. Scientists say coconut leaves has lot of nitrogen and fiber has lot of potash..being a natural farmer, I don't use these terminologies rather go with the argument that coconut trees pull out from soil and atmoshphere what ever is required for them and giving back all that except coconut meets all their requirements.

        Regards,
        Nandan

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 10, 2012
          Word of warning about Coconut fiber.

          I got, after transplanting my seedlings (with potting soil with cocofibre), loads of termites around the roots of my young trees. It killed or retarded the growth of a great many.

          Hence I do NOT use it anymore as an admixture in potting soil. It does make for good superficially spread garden mulch, though.

          Daniel

          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 10, 2012
            Coconut fibre is best used as cover mulch to retain moisture around
            the root zone.
            I have done this with my mango sapling on the ground and it is doing fine.

          • Kumar Swamy
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 11, 2012
              Dear Harish,

              I too need seed. How to gett them please let me know.

              Thanks a lot for your information.

              Regards,
              Kumaraswamy

              On 3/9/12, Harish Amur <harishamur@...> wrote:
              > After a few requests last year, I thought it prudent to preserve Gliricidia
              > seeds this year. There is an amazing amount of fruiting this year, which
              > means that we should have loads of seeds. Anyone interested, please let me
              > know. I shall arrange for some to be sent.
              >
              > An honest confession: I have not grown Gliricidia plants from seeds. It is
              > not a practice here either, as the plant grows very well with cut branches.
              > So, it would be your own research and effort to grow from seeds :) It
              > is *Gliricidia
              > sepium, *the pink flower variety.
              >
              > *A thing about Coconut fibre:*
              >
              > Last year I started experimenting with coconut fibre as we have 5 giant
              > coconut trees in our house and we get lots of coconut. The fibre (or jute
              > or whatever is its name) is usually thrown or burnt. I tried using it in
              > pots, as the penultimate layer. It has yielded very good results. This
              > fibre is very good in retaining water/moisture. Helps roots spread easily.
              > Is a good home for earthworms (yes, I had put a few in the pots). It is not
              > really acidic as the internet claims it to be. For if it was that acidic
              > the plants should have not grown as well as they did. And a good thing is
              > that it does not rot very soon, providing its services for months together.
              > I have also mulched a mango tree with this stuff and the tree is in a very
              > good health this year.
              >
              > Regards,
              > Harish

              Thanks and Regards,
              Kumaraswamy
            • Ramki Bondada
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 12, 2012
                Dear Harish,

                I too Need seeds atleast 2 kg.
                Also need help on how to harvest Gliricidia seeds ?

                Ramki

                To: fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com
                From: kadakolla@...
                Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2012 21:52:55 +0530

                Dear Harish,

                I too need seed. How to gett them please let me know.

                Thanks a lot for your information.

                Regards,
                Kumaraswamy

                On 3/9/12, Harish Amur <harishamur@...> wrote:
                > After a few requests last year, I thought it prudent to preserve Gliricidia
                > seeds this year. There is an amazing amount of fruiting this year, which
                > means that we should have loads of seeds. Anyone interested, please let me
                > know. I shall arrange for some to be sent.
                >
                > An honest confession: I have not grown Gliricidia plants from seeds. It is
                > not a practice here either, as the plant grows very well with cut branches.
                > So, it would be your own research and effort to grow from seeds :) It
                > is *Gliricidia
                > sepium, *the pink flower variety.
                >
                > *A thing about Coconut fibre:*
                >
                > Last year I started experimenting with coconut fibre as we have 5 giant
                > coconut trees in our house and we get lots of coconut. The fibre (or jute
                > or whatever is its name) is usually thrown or burnt. I tried using it in
                > pots, as the penultimate layer. It has yielded very good results. This
                > fibre is very good in retaining water/moisture. Helps roots spread easily.
                > Is a good home for earthworms (yes, I had put a few in the pots). It is not
                > really acidic as the internet claims it to be. For if it was that acidic
                > the plants should have not grown as well as they did. And a good thing is
                > that it does not rot very soon, providing its services for months together.
                > I have also mulched a mango tree with this stuff and the tree is in a very
                > good health this year.
                >
                > Regards,
                > Harish

                Thanks and Regards,
                Kumaraswamy

              • Harish Amur
                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 20, 2012
                  Kgs worth of seeds is quite difficult to collect and send. I can share a
                  few hundred grams if you are interested with of course no guarantee that
                  these may work, as I have not experience in germinating these seeds.

                  Also please share your postal address.

                  Regards,
                  Harish

                  On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 2:47 PM, Ramki Bondada <bondada@...> wrote:

                  > Dear Harish,
                  >
                  > I too Need seeds atleast 2 kg.
                  > Also need help on how to harvest Gliricidia seeds ?
                  >
                  > Ramki
                  >

                  > To: fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com
                  > From: kadakolla@...
                  > Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2012 21:52:55 +0530
                  > Subject: Re: [fukuoka_farming] Gliricidia seeds & Coconut fibre
                  >

                  > Dear Harish,
                  >
                  > I too need seed. How to gett them please let me know.
                  >
                  > Thanks a lot for your information.
                  >
                  > Regards,
                  > Kumaraswamy
                  >
                  > On 3/9/12, Harish Amur <harishamur@...> wrote:
                  > > After a few requests last year, I thought it prudent to preserve
                  > Gliricidia
                  > > seeds this year. There is an amazing amount of fruiting this year, which
                  > > means that we should have loads of seeds. Anyone interested, please let
                  > me
                  > > know. I shall arrange for some to be sent.
                  > >
                  > > An honest confession: I have not grown Gliricidia plants from seeds. It
                  > is
                  > > not a practice here either, as the plant grows very well with cut
                  > branches.
                  > > So, it would be your own research and effort to grow from seeds :) It
                  > > is *Gliricidia
                  > > sepium, *the pink flower variety.
                  > >
                  > > *A thing about Coconut fibre:*
                  > >
                  > > Last year I started experimenting with coconut fibre as we have 5 giant
                  > > coconut trees in our house and we get lots of coconut. The fibre (or jute
                  > > or whatever is its name) is usually thrown or burnt. I tried using it in
                  > > pots, as the penultimate layer. It has yielded very good results. This
                  > > fibre is very good in retaining water/moisture. Helps roots spread
                  > easily.
                  > > Is a good home for earthworms (yes, I had put a few in the pots). It is
                  > not
                  > > really acidic as the internet claims it to be. For if it was that acidic
                  > > the plants should have not grown as well as they did. And a good thing is
                  > > that it does not rot very soon, providing its services for months
                  > together.
                  > > I have also mulched a mango tree with this stuff and the tree is in a
                  > very
                  > > good health this year.
                  > >
                  > > Regards,
                  > > Harish

                  > --
                  > Thanks and Regards,
                  > Kumaraswamy

                • aks
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 18, 2013
                    Hi Harish,
                    I need some Gliricidia seeds, wondering if you have the seeds this year too, let me know.
                    Thanks,
                    Alok

                    --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, Harish Amur <harishamur@...> wrote:

                    > After a few requests last year, I thought it prudent to preserve Gliricidia
                    > seeds this year. There is an amazing amount of fruiting this year, which
                    > means that we should have loads of seeds. Anyone interested, please let me
                    > know. I shall arrange for some to be sent.
                    >
                    > An honest confession: I have not grown Gliricidia plants from seeds. It is
                    > not a practice here either, as the plant grows very well with cut branches.
                    > So, it would be your own research and effort to grow from seeds :) It
                    > is *Gliricidia
                    > sepium, *the pink flower variety.
                    >
                    > *A thing about Coconut fibre:*
                    >
                    > Last year I started experimenting with coconut fibre as we have 5 giant
                    > coconut trees in our house and we get lots of coconut. The fibre (or jute
                    > or whatever is its name) is usually thrown or burnt. I tried using it in
                    > pots, as the penultimate layer. It has yielded very good results. This
                    > fibre is very good in retaining water/moisture. Helps roots spread easily.
                    > Is a good home for earthworms (yes, I had put a few in the pots). It is not
                    > really acidic as the internet claims it to be. For if it was that acidic
                    > the plants should have not grown as well as they did. And a good thing is
                    > that it does not rot very soon, providing its services for months together.
                    > I have also mulched a mango tree with this stuff and the tree is in a very
                    > good health this year.
                    >
                    > Regards,
                    > Harish

                  • Harish Amur
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jul 8, 2013
                      Sorry. Somehow I missed noticing this email. I did not collect seeds this
                      time, so can't help you. However, I am sharing with you a site
                      http://www.treeseedsindia.com/green-manure.htm which can help you with the
                      seeds. I have ordered seeds from them. I found them reliable.

                      Regards,
                      Harish

                      On 18 June 2013 13:22, aks <alok26sinha@...> wrote:

                      > **
                      >

                      > Hi Harish,
                      > I need some Gliricidia seeds, wondering if you have the seeds this year
                      > too, let me know.
                      > Thanks,
                      > Alok
                      >

                      > --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, Harish Amur <harishamur@...>
                      > wrote:
                      > >
                      > > After a few requests last year, I thought it prudent to preserve
                      > Gliricidia
                      > > seeds this year. There is an amazing amount of fruiting this year, which
                      > > means that we should have loads of seeds. Anyone interested, please let
                      > me
                      > > know. I shall arrange for some to be sent.
                      > >
                      > > An honest confession: I have not grown Gliricidia plants from seeds. It
                      > is
                      > > not a practice here either, as the plant grows very well with cut
                      > branches.
                      > > So, it would be your own research and effort to grow from seeds :) It
                      > > is *Gliricidia
                      > > sepium, *the pink flower variety.
                      > >
                      > > *A thing about Coconut fibre:*
                      > >
                      > > Last year I started experimenting with coconut fibre as we have 5 giant
                      > > coconut trees in our house and we get lots of coconut. The fibre (or jute
                      > > or whatever is its name) is usually thrown or burnt. I tried using it in
                      > > pots, as the penultimate layer. It has yielded very good results. This
                      > > fibre is very good in retaining water/moisture. Helps roots spread
                      > easily.
                      > > Is a good home for earthworms (yes, I had put a few in the pots). It is
                      > not
                      > > really acidic as the internet claims it to be. For if it was that acidic
                      > > the plants should have not grown as well as they did. And a good thing is
                      > > that it does not rot very soon, providing its services for months
                      > together.
                      > > I have also mulched a mango tree with this stuff and the tree is in a
                      > very
                      > > good health this year.
                      > >
                      > > Regards,
                      > > Harish