Re: [fukuoka_farming] Natural Farming at Children's school in Thailand

  • Robin, Maya, or Napi
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 5, 2002
      Our visit to this site has been nourishment through our deepest
      roots. We began as a Tibetan Buddhist based school cooperative,
      modeled after English Summerhill! Circle School thanks you for giving
      us this taste of the broader world. May we ask if there is a cute
      little button anywhere on the group site that could link stories of
      such sister schools on the Mother Earth (we draw it on paper as the
      circle school), somehow connecting Children & Sustainable
      Gardening/Natural Farming? Not that I am poised to send in scads of
      links to children's gardening sites, more that the children's
      gardening sites need this link to Fukuoka-San.

      Robert Monie wrote:

      > Hi Robin, Maya, and Napi,
      >
      > You asked about projects for teaching children sustainable
      > gardening/farming.
      >
      > In Thailand there is Moo Ban Dek Children's Village School,
      > Latya-Srisawat Rd, Kanchanaburi 71190, Siam
      > (Thailand)--mbd@...--which, according to its web site, has
      > been practicing Natural Farming ever since Fukuoka visited there 10
      > years ago. The site suggests that Fukuoka has visited Moo Ban Dek
      > more than once.
      >
      > Check their URL at http://www.ffc.or.th/mbd/farming.html or pull
      > them up on google.com by typing "Moo Baan Dek--Natural Farming" and
      > then going to their "Home" option.
      >
      > Bob Monie

    • Larry Haftl
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 5, 2002
        Robin, Maya, or Napi wrote:

        >Our visit to this site has been nourishment through our deepest
        >roots. We began as a Tibetan Buddhist based school cooperative,
        >modeled after English Summerhill! Circle School thanks you for giving
        >us this taste of the broader world. May we ask if there is a cute
        >little button anywhere on the group site that could link stories of
        >such sister schools on the Mother Earth (we draw it on paper as the
        >circle school), somehow connecting Children & Sustainable
        >Gardening/Natural Farming? Not that I am poised to send in scads of
        >links to children's gardening sites, more that the children's
        >gardening sites need this link to Fukuoka-San.

        This confuses me. Is it something that came from the school in Thailand's
        website, or something you yourself wrote and are involved in?

        Larry Haftl
        larry@...
        http://larryhaftl.com/fukuoka
        http://FukuokaNaturalFarming.org
      • Azman Kader Rawther
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 5, 2002
          Bob Monie,

          Thank you for the heads up of the Moon Baan Dek School. think I'll make a trip up to Thailand to marvel at their efforts.

          Azman Kader Rawther

        • Robin, Maya, or Napi
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 6, 2002
            Sorry to be giddy. The thanks are to Mr. Robert who posted the
            link to Moo Baan Dek. The message quoted below is from & about our
            Circle School. We are so happily jumbly to see our reflection in a
            school around the world from us in Thailand. Both Buddhist founders,
            both Summerhill child-led-learning, both natural gardeners, both
            cooperative dormitory style sleep-over programs. & Fukuoka-san
            himself has had a hand in rearing their program!
            The question about your (our, thank you for writing that welcome)
            website is: will there be a place to collect works of particular
            usefulness to early childhood educators? Not to design that children
            playing on children's' homework research sites will come to it, but
            that teachers who are trying to slip such an effort into an embalmed
            curriculum might find life there. Embalmed curriculum is not my
            coinage, Reggio Emilia, our Italian method, uses the term for teaching
            without following what each child is observing in their own natural
            season. Reggio teachers would love to build with the work of Fukuoka,
            trusting in the value of lessons from observation. Many 'teachers'
            gardening sites are written in a way to suppress any connection with
            following the nature of the child or of the garden.
            Again, Sir, please do not see this question as to push for the
            impossible or inappropriate. What you have already done is remarkably
            fresh & continuously useful. Just thank you for your kind
            consideration of the request.
            Napi Ippolito, Principal
            Circle School

            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 6, 2002
              At Thursday, 07 November 2002, Napi wrote:

              >The message quoted below is from & about our Circle School.

              Hi Napi,
              My original confusion was whether you were asking about putting something
              on our site, or whether someone from the Thai school was talking
              about their website.

              Personally, I am in favor of just about anyting that helps kids learn
              and grow through mechanisms other than the social indoctrination
              process commonly referred to as "school".

              > The question about your (our, thank you for writing that welcome)
              >website is: will there be a place to collect works of particular
              >usefulness to early childhood educators? Not to design that children
              >playing on children's' homework research sites will come to it, but
              >that teachers who are trying to slip such an effort into an embalmed
              >curriculum might find life there.

              I can make the place if you can make the content and active participants
              of this list generally think it's a good idea (if they don't, I'd
              be willing to make a place for it on my own website). It's easy for
              me to turn text and graphics into webpages, it would not be easy
              for me to write the text or create the graphics. You would have to
              do that.

              >Many 'teachers'
              >gardening sites are written in a way to suppress any connection with
              >following the nature of the child or of the garden.

              So are many "teachers" non-gardening sites, and curiculum come to
              think of it.

              >Again, Sir, please do not see this question as to push for the
              >impossible or inappropriate.

              Always feel free to question and push. Nature and the webmaster will
              let you know when something is really impossible or inappropriate.

              One reservation though... would I have to make the button "cute"?
              I've never talked "cute" to a kid in my life. Always thought there
              were just people with limited experience temporarily trapped in very
              short bodies.

              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 6, 2002
                That was as cute as a button ever needs to be. G'night to all who
                are still at work.