Re: [fukuoka_farming] Tamarind saplings

  • Srinath Sastry
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 7, 2012
      Dear Boovarahan,
      I have this variety tamarind tree in my farm near Ramanagara (B/w
      Bangalore & Mysore)
      Normally, there will be some saplings near the tree. If I find the
      same, when I visit next time- I will collect it and let you know.

      Regards
      Srinath

      --
      Regards

      Srinath Sastry
    • pasila venkat
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 7, 2012
        Hi Boovarahan,

        I was reading about PKM-1 variety of tamarind developed by periyakulam research institute.I heard it is one of the best varieties of tamarind in India.
        Are you aware of it ? Do  you have Idea about it.

        Regards
        Venkat

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 7, 2012
          Hello,
          Can tamarind be grown from seed?
          best
          RUTHIE

          2012/3/7 Srinath Sastry <srinath.hr@...>

          > **
          >

          > Dear Boovarahan,
          > I have this variety tamarind tree in my farm near Ramanagara (B/w
          > Bangalore & Mysore)
          > Normally, there will be some saplings near the tree. If I find the
          > same, when I visit next time- I will collect it and let you know.
          >
          > Regards
          > Srinath
          >
          > 2012/3/7, Boovarahan Srinivasan <offtown@...>:
          >
          > > I am told that the Tumkur tamarind has a slight sweetness when
          > > compared to other varieties.
          > >
          > > I wud like to grow one Tumkur tamarind tree if I could get a sapling.
          > > I request our karnataka members to help me out as I can't get the
          > > saplings from the local nurseries.
          > >
          > > Thanks.
          > > --
          > > Boovarahan S
          > > Chennai.
          > > 09962662717 (Vodafone) , 08825889492 (Videocon), 09283714777 ( Tata
          > Indicom)
          > >

          > --
          > Regards
          >
          > Srinath Sastry

        • Srinath Sastry
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 7, 2012
            Of course- you can grow tamarind tree from seed.

            Regards
            Srinath
          • Boovarahan Srinivasan
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 8, 2012
              Nope ! Normally I try to avoid the so called super / cross / improved
              varieties of agricultural universities and research organisations.
              Generally these improved plants need careful upkeep and a lot of fertliser
              and water which are against NF . Also they have a tendency of giving much
              lesser produce and that too for a shorter duration. this has been the case
              with cross coconuts which give coconuts in just three years against the
              normal seven years, but the size and number of coconuts are not much to be
              desired.

              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 8, 2012
                Many thanks Srinath.
                I hope to get a few of such saplings , may be around 5 or six in number.
                If it is possible to grow it from the seeds , let me have ripe seeds and I
                can experiment with it .

                Thanks again.

                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 9, 2012
                  Tamarind grown from seeds can be unpredictable,in terms of productivity and quality of pods

                  So usually grafted varieties are suggested.

                  Regards
                  Venkat

                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 9, 2012
                    Well, in that case let me have the saplings.
                    Thanks.

                    Message 9 of 10 , Mar 10, 2012
                      You should check with near by forest department or agricultural universities for the samplings.

                      Regards
                      Venkat