Re: [fukuoka_farming] Re: Can we venture CSA in India ? Fw: 2012 Georgia CSA Guide & SE Beginning Farmer Mixer

  • rwhsystem-fukuoka@yahoo.co.uk
    Message 1 of 20 , Mar 5, 2012
      Anant and friends,
      I have the implemented resources to build database backed websites, and will be happy to volunteer for this.
      I have a website too for that http://www.organic-farm.in/
      and website http://www.raincentre.in/ , http://www.fogharvesting.com/ , http://www.rwh.in/
      Asit Sahu
      Farmer from Chattisgarh.

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 20 , Mar 6, 2012
        I wish to share the cost of hosting the site since I can't help in the
        design or technical requirements of developing the site as I am not a
        geek.
        Cost burden becomes light when shared and I am in.

        I suggest to host a suitable site based on linux hosting and mysql
        database but it is for the geek members to decide. The sooner we start
        the better.

        Thanks.

        On 3/6/12, rwhsystem-fukuoka@... <rwhsystem-fukuoka@...> wrote:
        > Anant and friends,
        > I have the implemented resources to build database backed websites, and will
        > be happy to volunteer for this.
        > I have a website too for that http://www.organic-farm.in/
        > To see my work visit my forum
        > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rainwaterharvesting
        > and website http://www.raincentre.in/ , http://www.fogharvesting.com/ ,
        > http://www.rwh.in/
        > Asit Sahu
        > Farmer from Chattisgarh.
        >

        > ________________________________

        Boovarahan S
        Chennai.
        09962662717 (Vodafone) , 08825889492 (Videocon)
      • Anant Joglekar
        Message 3 of 20 , Mar 6, 2012
          I too !

          anant joglekar
          9423089706

          >________________________________

        • fhi_katari
          Message 4 of 20 , Mar 7, 2012
            Friends,
            There have been a number of responses, and I am truly grateful to all of you. It feels great to see so much goodwill and generosity.

            For the purpose of expedience, let me start with Anant on the design. I will reach out to others for help as we need it. For now, it will be easier to come up with the initial design in a small group. Given that many of us are across different time zones, coordinating a bigger group will be difficult.

            Yes, we will have it mysql based on a linux box. I happen to have a server hosting my homepage already, so I don't mind putting it on there. So for now, I will not be requiring money for hosting (virtual hosting is really cheap these days).

            We will maintain our work using google docs, and should be able to do a beta release soon.

            Kaushik

            --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, Anant Joglekar <apjoglekar@...> wrote:

            > I too !
            >

            > anant joglekar
            > 9423089706
            >
            > The ultimate goal of natural farming is not simply growing crops but the cultivation and perfection of human beings.  Masanobu Fukuoka
            >

            > >________________________________

          • Harish Amur
            Message 5 of 20 , Mar 7, 2012
              The 'technical solution' is a cake walk for the techies, including me.
              However the real challenge is elsewhere! Let me illustrate with an example.
              Here is the translation of an article on 'Sri. Shankar Langati' in a local
              language weekly.

              "The king of local seeds - Sri Shankar Langate

              It is 1982. A farmer, wholly dependent on agriculture commits suicide. He
              is troubled and tired. The problem is well known, the exploitation by seed
              companies, the steep price rise of chemical fertilizers etc.

              The son is devastated by the news of his father's death. He decides on that
              day. He does not want another family to suffer in a similar way. He turns
              to the local organic ways and local seeds.

              Shankar could not study much. He dropped out after the class of 3. He owns
              a six acre farm. The turning point in his life was a visit to an exhibition
              of local seeds in Dharmasthala. He did not have money to travel. He was
              assisted by a member of the Green Foundation, Mr. Shivaraj Hungund. Shankar
              brings back around 25 varieties of local seeds. And then an expert at the
              Mugadha Paddy Reseach Centre assisted Shankar by providing him with 24
              varieties of local paddy seeds.

              Some of the paddy varieties are 'Mugadha dodagya(मुगध दोडग्या), Mugadha
              Siri(मुगध सिरि), Kumkuma Sali(कुंकुम सालि), Kaaga Sali(कागसालि), Dambar
              Sali( डांबर सालि), Kumuda(कुमुद), Krishna Kumuda(कृष्ण कुमुद), Bangara
              Kaddi(बंगार कड्डि), Ratna Choodi(रत्न चूडि), Gandhasali( गंधसालि),
              Champakasali(चंपकसालि), etc..'"

              Try making sense of the names of the Paddy. Even I cannot make sense of
              them. It is not a thing of intellectual ability :) We need to know the
              seeds, lest they become just a few names. I believe, it is not enough that
              the information is captured. We need to understand much more. How do we
              deal with this? :)

              I think the online or technical platforms are very 'impersonal' in nature
              and I am beginning to dislike them. We should be moving to a more
              'personal' ways of dealing with things like this. If the online presence
              persists (or is available) in the future in the same as it is today, we
              will also have other means of communication, such as phone etc. Even travel
              should be feasible. The relevance of 'local' seeds across borders should be
              thought through.

              Regards,
              Harish

              Message 6 of 20 , Mar 7, 2012
                This is an attempt to have ready hand info for the needy and interested for sharing sustainable seeds.

                Periodically  updated info could be made available to print media in all languages for benefiting those not having internet facility, this will help promoting NF to a step ahead.

                Fukuoka family members world wide can shoulder this task for translating the periodically updated info  in their own language and sending to the native print media for publishing.

                anant joglekar
                9423089706

                Message 7 of 20 , Mar 7, 2012
                  There are many local varities of paddy crop which have fancy name in the local dialect like "kapur gundhi" grown rarely in Chattisgarh and Western Odisha in Mahanadi river basin area.
                  It is small and thin rice having the smell of Kapur.
                  Can someone help in preserving and multiplying the seed.

                  Asit Sahu
                  Farmer from Chattisgarh, India.

                  ________________________________

                  Message 8 of 20 , Mar 8, 2012
                    Hello,
                    Kindly add my name to your list of volunteers, even if I am not ready to
                    plant today. I would be in a couple of years, hopefully. The field will
                    be in a tropical Asian island and not here in France where I now live. I
                    can also try here, but the warm season is from May to August only.
                    Thank you.
                    RUTHIE

                    2012/3/8 rwhsystem-fukuoka@... <rwhsystem-fukuoka@...>

                    > **
                    >

                    > There are many local varities of paddy crop which have fancy name in the
                    > local dialect like "kapur gundhi" grown rarely in Chattisgarh and Western
                    > Odisha in Mahanadi river basin area.
                    > It is small and thin rice having the smell of Kapur.
                    > Can someone help in preserving and multiplying the seed.
                    >
                    > Asit Sahu
                    > Farmer from Chattisgarh, India.
                    >

                    > ________________________________

                  • fhi_katari
                    Message 9 of 20 , Mar 8, 2012
                      Harish,
                      Thanks for the feedback. The net is impersonal, and I am cautious in trying to focus too much on the technical solution. But the net is also ubiquitous, and it allows us to communicate effectively.

                      Your example is a good one: there are many seed varietals, whose actual names will not mean much. But as a starting point, can we just make people aware that these exist, and if somebody is in the region, they can explore how to connect with the relevant sources to obtain the seeds.

                      I think the website will be simply the first touch point, to initiate a conversation. To the degree that we can keep the information up to date, I think it will enable more conversations, ones that are difficult to have today.

                      Kaushik

                      --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, Harish Amur <harishamur@...> wrote:

                      > The 'technical solution' is a cake walk for the techies, including me.
                      > However the real challenge is elsewhere! Let me illustrate with an example.
                      > Here is the translation of an article on 'Sri. Shankar Langati' in a local
                      > language weekly.
                      >
                      > "The king of local seeds - Sri Shankar Langate
                      >
                      > It is 1982. A farmer, wholly dependent on agriculture commits suicide. He
                      > is troubled and tired. The problem is well known, the exploitation by seed
                      > companies, the steep price rise of chemical fertilizers etc.
                      >
                      > The son is devastated by the news of his father's death. He decides on that
                      > day. He does not want another family to suffer in a similar way. He turns
                      > to the local organic ways and local seeds.
                      >
                      > Shankar could not study much. He dropped out after the class of 3. He owns
                      > a six acre farm. The turning point in his life was a visit to an exhibition
                      > of local seeds in Dharmasthala. He did not have money to travel. He was
                      > assisted by a member of the Green Foundation, Mr. Shivaraj Hungund. Shankar
                      > brings back around 25 varieties of local seeds. And then an expert at the
                      > Mugadha Paddy Reseach Centre assisted Shankar by providing him with 24
                      > varieties of local paddy seeds.
                      >
                      > Some of the paddy varieties are 'Mugadha dodagya(मुगध दोडग्या), Mugadha
                      > Siri(मुगध सिरि), Kumkuma Sali(कुंकुम सालि), Kaaga Sali(कागसालि), Dambar
                      > Sali( डांबर सालि), Kumuda(कुमुद), Krishna Kumuda(कृष्ण कुमुद), Bangara
                      > Kaddi(बंगार कड्डि), Ratna Choodi(रत्न चूडि), Gandhasali( गंधसालि),
                      > Champakasali(चंपकसालि), etc..'"
                      >
                      > Try making sense of the names of the Paddy. Even I cannot make sense of
                      > them. It is not a thing of intellectual ability :) We need to know the
                      > seeds, lest they become just a few names. I believe, it is not enough that
                      > the information is captured. We need to understand much more. How do we
                      > deal with this? :)
                      >
                      > I think the online or technical platforms are very 'impersonal' in nature
                      > and I am beginning to dislike them. We should be moving to a more
                      > 'personal' ways of dealing with things like this. If the online presence
                      > persists (or is available) in the future in the same as it is today, we
                      > will also have other means of communication, such as phone etc. Even travel
                      > should be feasible. The relevance of 'local' seeds across borders should be
                      > thought through.
                      >
                      > Regards,
                      > Harish
                      >

                      > On Wed, Mar 7, 2012 at 9:32 AM, Anant Joglekar <apjoglekar@...>wrote:
                      >
                      > > **
                      > >

                      > > I too !
                      > >

                      > > anant joglekar
                      > > 9423089706
                      > >
                      > > The ultimate goal of natural farming is not simply growing crops but the
                      > > cultivation and perfection of human beings. Masanobu Fukuoka

                    • Boovarahan Srinivasan
                      Message 10 of 20 , Mar 8, 2012
                        One solution is to add a column describing the type and speciality of that
                        particular grain.

                        Message 11 of 20 , Mar 8, 2012
                          Yes I can participate in preserving and multiplying the seed.

                          anant joglekar
                          9423089706