California Greywater (and Rainwater) Code at Stake!

  • Willow Morningsky
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 5, 2012
      California Greywater (and Rainwater) Code at Stake!

      Your help is needed!

      A new state proposal is set to adopt more a restrictive code which will
      move California backward and prevent more widespread use of rainwater
      and greywater.

      As part of a triennial code adoption process the recent (2009)
      California greywater code is being thrown out and replaced with a more
      restrictive and cumbersome code. This new proposed code also includes
      rainwater- with overly stringent requirements- which would make many
      back yard rain barrel and cistern systems illegal.

      Even if you don't live in California your voice is needed. This proposed
      code is part of the "Universal Plumbing Code" which is adopted by many
      states in the US. If California rejects the restrictive components it
      can help other states do the same.

      For a more sustainable water future for California we need to change
      this proposed code! Please send comments (example letter below) and
      forward this widely.

      Send to:
      Shawn Huff (from Department of Housing and Community Development) email:
      shuff@...
      Enrique Rodriguez (from Building Standards Commission) email:
      enrique.rodriguez@...
      Governor Jerry Brown email: governor@...
      Your assembly person and/or state senator

      Dear Shawn Huff and Enrique Rodriguez,

      I am writing to express my concern over the proposed adoption of Chapter
      16 of the Uniform Plumbing Code for California. I believe we need a code
      that will encourage and support water reuse so we can protect
      California's water resources and reduce our consumption of fresh water
      supplies.

      I want California to support low cost, safe and legal systems. Please do
      not adopt the proposed code until it has been changed so it can benefit,
      not harm our water future.

      I urge you to make the following changes to the code:

      1) Restore any text present in the current greywater code that is
      missing in the proposed code.
      2) Don't include more restrictive and prohibitive language in the new
      code for greywater systems.
      3) Allow for simple and legal back yard rainwater harvesting systems
      including gravity fed rainwater irrigation systems with no permit and no
      treatment of the water (i.e. chlorine)
      4) Greatly increase the size of rainwater storage that doesn't require
      a permit. Other states allow safe types of cisterns up to 5,000 gallons
      with no permit. The proposed 360 gallons is much to small, that is only
      the size of 7 rain barrels.

      Thank you for your prompt attention to this issues.

      (your name)

      Other things to include:

      * If you have greywater or rainwater systems in your home
      * If this could affect your business.
      * Local water issues that make this important for your area

      If you are able to attend a March 7th stakeholders meeting in
      Sacramento about this please see the details on www.greywateraction .org
      The complete text is also available for download at
      www.greywateraction.org

      Thank you for your support!

      greywateraction@...

      http://npogroups.org/lists/info/greywateraction