Re: [fukuoka_farming] Can we venture CSA in India ? Fw: 2012 Georgia CSA Guide & SE Beginning Farmer Mixer

  • Nandan Palaparambil
    Message 1 of 20 , Mar 4, 2012
      Encouraging to hear that 65 types of paddy being cultivated in a village !!!. Hoping to hear many more such stories.

      Regards,
      Nandan

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 20 , Mar 4, 2012
        But such distributed ownership makes availability of seeds scarce. this has
        been my experience. Getting a particular variety of seeds becomes hell of
        an affair.
        One can restrict the quantity of supply of seeds to say , half a kilo, so
        that interested persons may try to grow with that seeds.

        My idea is to maintain an online directory of addresses and variety of
        seeds .

      • Anant Joglekar
        Message 3 of 20 , Mar 4, 2012
          Good practicable indeed.

          We can open a file in the groupsDatabase section in which date of entry / name of updater with name of Grower, detailed address, phone no, cell no, email id / Type of seeds / local name / harvest year / Good for sowing till-  date / quantity available / rate per quantity / location at which the seed is stored--available/ shipping facilities and mode suggested for acquiring the seeds  etc may please be given.It could be further updated by the seller by providing details of a person to whom he has given away the seeds.

          This will help for easy distribution and spreading of traditional seeds amongst the interested and ultimately preservation at diverse locations.

          I urge the computer database experts from our fukuoka family to come forward to shoulder this task.

          With best regards !

          anant joglekar
          9423089706

        • fhi_katari
          Message 4 of 20 , Mar 5, 2012
            Anant and friends,
            I have the skills and resources to build database backed websites, and will be happy to volunteer for this. It will be a privilege to do this work.

            I think if we are going to do this, we should think through the design a little more carefully. Perhaps create a separate website, instead of attaching files to the email list. We can then have control of the user interface, making it easy for people to use and upload information. Perhaps we can also have a peer verification: for example, people can mention seed availability, and they can be verified by somebody from the group.

            We can use this as the starting point, and add on more things: like produce availability, etc. The goal would be to connect people with the resources (seeds, produce, knowledge, land, etc.) to people who are looking for the same.

            I will need a couple of people who will be willing to work through the design, and provide feedback as the site is coming up. Please contact me directly, and I will try to set up a time to get the conversation started and this work rolling.

            Kaushik

          • rwhsystem-fukuoka@yahoo.co.uk
            Message 5 of 20 , Mar 5, 2012
              Anant and friends,
              I have the implemented resources to build database backed websites, and will be happy to volunteer for this.
              I have a website too for that http://www.organic-farm.in/
              and website http://www.raincentre.in/ , http://www.fogharvesting.com/ , http://www.rwh.in/
              Asit Sahu
              Farmer from Chattisgarh.

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 20 , Mar 6, 2012
                Kaushik, count me in. Could help you in design, development and testing.

              • Boovarahan Srinivasan
                Message 7 of 20 , Mar 6, 2012
                  I wish to share the cost of hosting the site since I can't help in the
                  design or technical requirements of developing the site as I am not a
                  geek.
                  Cost burden becomes light when shared and I am in.

                  I suggest to host a suitable site based on linux hosting and mysql
                  database but it is for the geek members to decide. The sooner we start
                  the better.

                  Thanks.

                  Message 8 of 20 , Mar 6, 2012
                    I too !

                    anant joglekar
                    9423089706

                    Message 9 of 20 , Mar 7, 2012
                      Friends,
                      There have been a number of responses, and I am truly grateful to all of you. It feels great to see so much goodwill and generosity.

                      For the purpose of expedience, let me start with Anant on the design. I will reach out to others for help as we need it. For now, it will be easier to come up with the initial design in a small group. Given that many of us are across different time zones, coordinating a bigger group will be difficult.

                      Yes, we will have it mysql based on a linux box. I happen to have a server hosting my homepage already, so I don't mind putting it on there. So for now, I will not be requiring money for hosting (virtual hosting is really cheap these days).

                      We will maintain our work using google docs, and should be able to do a beta release soon.

                    • Harish Amur
                      Message 10 of 20 , Mar 7, 2012
                        The 'technical solution' is a cake walk for the techies, including me.
                        However the real challenge is elsewhere! Let me illustrate with an example.
                        Here is the translation of an article on 'Sri. Shankar Langati' in a local
                        language weekly.

                        "The king of local seeds - Sri Shankar Langate

                        It is 1982. A farmer, wholly dependent on agriculture commits suicide. He
                        is troubled and tired. The problem is well known, the exploitation by seed
                        companies, the steep price rise of chemical fertilizers etc.

                        The son is devastated by the news of his father's death. He decides on that
                        day. He does not want another family to suffer in a similar way. He turns
                        to the local organic ways and local seeds.

                        Shankar could not study much. He dropped out after the class of 3. He owns
                        a six acre farm. The turning point in his life was a visit to an exhibition
                        of local seeds in Dharmasthala. He did not have money to travel. He was
                        assisted by a member of the Green Foundation, Mr. Shivaraj Hungund. Shankar
                        brings back around 25 varieties of local seeds. And then an expert at the
                        Mugadha Paddy Reseach Centre assisted Shankar by providing him with 24
                        varieties of local paddy seeds.

                        Some of the paddy varieties are 'Mugadha dodagya(मुगध दोडग्या), Mugadha
                        Siri(मुगध सिरि), Kumkuma Sali(कुंकुम सालि), Kaaga Sali(कागसालि), Dambar
                        Sali( डांबर सालि), Kumuda(कुमुद), Krishna Kumuda(कृष्ण कुमुद), Bangara
                        Kaddi(बंगार कड्डि), Ratna Choodi(रत्न चूडि), Gandhasali( गंधसालि),
                        Champakasali(चंपकसालि), etc..'"

                        Try making sense of the names of the Paddy. Even I cannot make sense of
                        them. It is not a thing of intellectual ability :) We need to know the
                        seeds, lest they become just a few names. I believe, it is not enough that
                        the information is captured. We need to understand much more. How do we
                        deal with this? :)

                        I think the online or technical platforms are very 'impersonal' in nature
                        and I am beginning to dislike them. We should be moving to a more
                        'personal' ways of dealing with things like this. If the online presence
                        persists (or is available) in the future in the same as it is today, we
                        will also have other means of communication, such as phone etc. Even travel
                        should be feasible. The relevance of 'local' seeds across borders should be
                        thought through.

                        Regards,
                        Harish

                        Message 11 of 20 , Mar 7, 2012
                          This is an attempt to have ready hand info for the needy and interested for sharing sustainable seeds.

                          Periodically  updated info could be made available to print media in all languages for benefiting those not having internet facility, this will help promoting NF to a step ahead.

                          Fukuoka family members world wide can shoulder this task for translating the periodically updated info  in their own language and sending to the native print media for publishing.

                          anant joglekar
                          9423089706

                          Message 12 of 20 , Mar 7, 2012
                            There are many local varities of paddy crop which have fancy name in the local dialect like "kapur gundhi" grown rarely in Chattisgarh and Western Odisha in Mahanadi river basin area.
                            It is small and thin rice having the smell of Kapur.
                            Can someone help in preserving and multiplying the seed.

                            Asit Sahu
                            Farmer from Chattisgarh, India.

                            ________________________________

                            Message 13 of 20 , Mar 8, 2012
                              Hello,
                              Kindly add my name to your list of volunteers, even if I am not ready to
                              plant today. I would be in a couple of years, hopefully. The field will
                              be in a tropical Asian island and not here in France where I now live. I
                              can also try here, but the warm season is from May to August only.
                              Thank you.
                              RUTHIE

                              2012/3/8 rwhsystem-fukuoka@... <rwhsystem-fukuoka@...>

                              > **
                              >

                              > There are many local varities of paddy crop which have fancy name in the
                              > local dialect like "kapur gundhi" grown rarely in Chattisgarh and Western
                              > Odisha in Mahanadi river basin area.
                              > It is small and thin rice having the smell of Kapur.
                              > Can someone help in preserving and multiplying the seed.
                              >
                              > Asit Sahu
                              > Farmer from Chattisgarh, India.
                              >

                              > ________________________________

                            • fhi_katari
                              Message 14 of 20 , Mar 8, 2012
                                Harish,
                                Thanks for the feedback. The net is impersonal, and I am cautious in trying to focus too much on the technical solution. But the net is also ubiquitous, and it allows us to communicate effectively.

                                Your example is a good one: there are many seed varietals, whose actual names will not mean much. But as a starting point, can we just make people aware that these exist, and if somebody is in the region, they can explore how to connect with the relevant sources to obtain the seeds.

                                I think the website will be simply the first touch point, to initiate a conversation. To the degree that we can keep the information up to date, I think it will enable more conversations, ones that are difficult to have today.

                                Kaushik

                                Message 15 of 20 , Mar 8, 2012
                                  One solution is to add a column describing the type and speciality of that
                                  particular grain.

                                  Message 16 of 20 , Mar 8, 2012
                                    Yes I can participate in preserving and multiplying the seed.

                                    anant joglekar
                                    9423089706